E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Are You A Road Bully?

03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

I have very boring thing to say.

I used to live in london and work in Essex so I had to travel everyday on A13.
I have spotted multiple time this Land Cruise with old consultant (always took exit to hospital) sitting in it, and doing 70MPH on fast lane despite of inner lanes being empty and plenty of cars behind him. Most to the times, drivers had to use inner lanes to overtake this idiot.

It made me think many times, why do people think that they are teaching others to slow down, or do the think they own the road?

And sorry to say, but many times I have spotted foreigner driving in fast lane, and thinking that is the normal driving lane. The only go back to middle lane, if somebody is tailgaiting them and flashing on them....otherwise they dont bother....and stay in fast lane for normal driving.

Coming back to BMW stereotyping, there was a survey in 2010, which stated that based on the information collected from thousands of people, BMW drivers were 'Annoying drivers' and they left white van drivers far behind in the list.

Last edited by makkan00; 03-03-2012 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #24
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Allow Safe Overtaking - see this on the roadside VMS on the A9 all the time.

There was a case a while back around here where someone got prosecuted for causing a fatal crash by pissing about while being overtaken.

For me I think 1/2 the people don't want held up by dawdlers and the other 1/2 don't want to be overtaken by speeders. Problem is some people don't recognise when they are being one or the other..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Today I had around 10 or so people pull out in front of me making me slam my brakes on.
Just because you indicate doesn't mean you then have a right to pull out, only pull out if it means you are not going to slow someone else's progress down.
Now you may think that because you are 'doing the speed limit' you have a right, but it is selfish and fucking dangerous!
Also, do you know your speedo is right? I know in my daughters Fiesta when her speedo says 70mph the nav says 64mph, my Merc is bang on. So when I get some fucking chump being right on sitting in the outside lane doing the speed limit we are often only doing 65mph.

I always let people out who are indicating and waiting for the road to clear and don't get annoyed if they then go passed everyone at 65mph, if they need to overtake let them, but when someone just pulls out, indicator or not without a decent gap.
+1
IIRC the highway code states that drivers shouldn't cause other road users to alter their course (or speed) yet this seems to be totally lost on a lot of people.

As for Motorway slip roads...sheesh what is it that some people don't get about matching speed before joining...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #26
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I would have just moved out of his way and let him carry on.

No point in antagonising people and no point in pulling into the lane when you can see someone approaching quickly.

Too much can go wrong in a split second on a mway. We could never have unrestricted mway, imagine someone pulling out on you doing 150mph.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD View Post
+1
IIRC the highway code states that drivers shouldn't cause other road users to alter their course (or speed) yet this seems to be totally lost on a lot of people.

As for Motorway slip roads...sheesh what is it that some people don't get about matching speed before joining...
That is one thing that REALLY GETS ON MY TITTIES!!!
      03-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #28
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I have very interesting things to say.
This set a (maybe unreasonable) expectation of your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
We could never have unrestricted mway, imagine someone pulling out on you doing 150mph.
Imagine it? Jeez...theres been a few times when my eyeballs have been pinned to the windscreen when some numpty has pulled out

Having said that, whilst I do understand the OP's frustration I've personally calmed down quite significantly in recent years (and generally the faster the car I have, the less bothered I am about making a point on the roads) - if someone wants to get past me, I won't make it difficult for them and I'd never purposefully slow down to piss someone else off. I mean, when I'm barreling down the back end of someone would I appreciate then braking or slowing down? No, I wouldn't so therefore why would I do it to others?

However, as for people pulling out on me without looking?...well, they get an entirely different response!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #29
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

I hate the middle lane hoggers. They know the rules but just sit in the middle lane to piss people off. They should be rammed off the road
      03-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #30
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

So far the consensus is....
We hate the middle lane hogger but like the fast lane blast.
Slow lane is for under powered vauhall's (just like my wife's meriva with the kiddies).
Ok.... I'm happy my wife and kids are safe in the "slow lane" but I want to travel I little faster but get screwed by the midde lane hogger, can't enter the fast lane because I run the risk of being a dangerous driver without entering the fast lane below 85mph.

Lane discipline, sensible gaps and speed - maintains flow.
I think the majority of drivers on the road are decent ones, the minorities like the middle lane hogger and the fast lane blaster disrupt it for everyone else
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

The only thing that really annoys me on the roads is the slip road thing. It's not just idiots that are incapable of matching the speed of the traffic on the road they are about to join but the fucking dick heads that think trying to join the traffic as a "pack" by driving right up the arse of the other car is the most sensible way to exit a slip road. Like we who are already on the road you are joining are all just leaving a big fuck off gap for 4 cars in convoy. ARSE HOLES.

Apart from that i tend not to get stressed about much else. If someone wants to overtake me then I'll move if I'm in the outside lane. If someone wants to overtake me when I'm in the middle lane then they can go round me. The inside lane is for entering and exiting only if you ask me, it's a dangerous place to sit (see slip road example above).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #32
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I loved driving through France on the Peage. Mostly two lane but great discipline. And if you're not completely on the ball you quickly get a little reminder from the driver behind.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #33
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Personally, I don't like to call them a 'Slow lane' or 'Fast lane'.

If you are not overtaking anyone then you 'should' keep left, simple. This then allows faster moving traffic to 'flow' past you.

People in the UK appear to believe that the inside lane is for lorries only!! Why are people scared of using the inside lane?

People that sit in the middle lane usually have absolutely no idea what's happening around them. It's easier for them to just 'follow' the car in front.

If you go to Europe, their two lane motorways work much better than our three lane motorways. I ask myself why, but it's simply down to the fact that they use the motorways properly..

I've been on motorways where it feels like the motorway has 'reversed'. By this I mean that the inside lane and middle lane appear to be going quicker than the outside lane.. Has anyone else experienced that?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #34
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
The inside lane is for entering and exiting only if you ask me, it's a dangerous place to sit (see slip road example above).
But there is sometimes 15 fucking miles between junctions, does it really hurt you to pull in for the 15 minutes you are not at a junction?

I guess you also stay in the over taking lane when you can see another car a mile down the road? Even if that car is doing 68mph when you are doing 70mph?

Sorry, but that attitude is just lazy and selfish and is the reason our roads are so shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #35
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thank god i live in Germany - use the left lane to overtake and unless youre doing 150 mph+ move out of the lane after overtaking because someone much faster than you is coming through fast...... guaranteed!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 03-03-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #36
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Thank god i live in Germany - use the left lane to overtake and unless youre doing 150 mph+ move out of the lane after overtaking because someone much faster than you is coming through fast...... guaranteed!
if only this could happen in the UK!....

Don't mind people driving slow or if you're following your satnav to some unknown destination with kids in the back etc...Fine!!! take your time in the left lane....

but to those slow fcukers out there in the right hand lane.....move the fcuk out of MY lane!....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #37
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

I don't drive any different just because i'm in my car as opposed to the misses little polo for example, but I do get more frustrated with people driving slower when in mine as it seems that bit easier to go faster. People struggling to hit 40mph on a lovely national speed limit road grinds at 6am when its totally dead.

And agreed to all who said UK motorway manners are shocking. Why can we not use the inside lane like say the rest of europe?
      03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #38
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I would look at it from both sides of the coin. Firstly, if someone wants to go faster than you're willing to go, you should let them past - however, I don't condone people getting aggressive behind you and tailgating. Both acts are of stupidity and very dangerous.

Without sounding like a total stereotype, women are really bad at lane hugging. Whether they do it for 'girl power' or because they're totally oblivious to what's behind them - I don't know - and my wife is one of these. What I can say in her defence is that she's one of the latter and I have to tell her constantly.

The only time I've been really aggressive was on two occasions - one, when my wife went into labour and two, when my little boy was projectile vomiting and almost choking. Of course, there are occasion when we all get angry or a little too excited - Things aren't exactly made better by the daily rise in shit drivers and constant traffic jams/road works.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #39
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

Anyone had aggressive behaviour when merging onto a main road? I've had it a few times where it's busy, so match velocity with inside lane, align with gap and merge in, only to have the car behind start flashing lights, pull 1 foot off bumper etc.

Where's he expect me to go at 60-70mph in a dead end lane, into the field?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #40
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I don't know about anyone else but it really should almost be impossible to undertake anyone if everyone is using their lanes correctly.
You get too many do gooders on the road that like to control other motorists speed. Usually they only do max 30 miles a day and so aren't in a rush. Try covering 400 miles/day regularly and then see whether doing 65 mph in the over taking lane because of some tw*t is something you find tolerable.

Simple thing is no one really has ever learnt how to drive on our motorways properly, apart from Pass plus motorists. We all pass our test and then venture out onto the three lane world with no idea really how we should drive on them.

I say introduce an extra test after passing normal driving test on how to
drive on the motorways properly.
It's stupid idea that some 17 year old can learn how to drive in town and then can just venture onto a motorway and have to do 80 mph +/-
with no prior experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #41
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Dual carriageways are the most dangerous type of road.

Driving on a m/way isn't rocket science though is it? Yeah things come with experience but if you can't grasp the simplest of road (motorway) then you shouldn't be driving. Simples.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #42
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryF View Post
Anyone had aggressive behaviour when merging onto a main road? I've had it a few times where it's busy, so match velocity with inside lane, align with gap and merge in, only to have the car behind start flashing lights, pull 1 foot off bumper etc.

Where's he expect me to go at 60-70mph in a dead end lane, into the field?
I'm confused. If you matched speed before joining and merged into a gap in traffic. Then how did he get to be 1ft off your bumper?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #43
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000
Dual carriageways are the most dangerous type of road.

Driving on a m/way isn't rocket science though is it? Yeah things come with experience but if you can't grasp the simplest of road (motorway) then you shouldn't be driving. Simples.
Really?
I was never phased with driving on dual carriageways when I first passed.
Nearly p*ssed my pants driving on the motorway for the first time.
There is so much more going on and so much faster than any other road.

Think of it like this, you have to pass a test to drive on a 30mph single lane road but no special test for driving on a three/four lane 70mph+ motorway.

It's no wonder we have so many bad drivers on our motorways.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #44
Laney
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx ms, E90 330d ms

Garage List
Motorways are easy. Everything is going (hopefully!!) in the same direction and according to the law only 10mph faster than on a standard A road.

You sit in lane 1. If you need to overtake do exactly the same as you would on a normal road. Overtake safely and as quickly as possible. Move back into lane 1.

Appreciate 0