E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > SATA drive question...

08-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

SATA drive question...

Hey computer experts here... I accidentally dropped my external WD hard drive. it only fell a few inches onto my carpet, but it was enough where now I can't access my music. So I thought about slaving it on my desktop, like I have done in the past with IDE drives, but it's proving difficult.

I purchased a SATA to IDE adapter, as well as a SATA PCI card, and no luck; the drive isn't detected in My Comptuer, or in BIOS. Is it because I'm connecting it to a MB that's just too old? Is is a drivers issue?

How can I try accessing my SATA drive from this PC? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Hey computer experts here... I accidentally dropped my external WD hard drive. it only fell a few inches onto my carpet, but it was enough where now I can't access my music. So I thought about slaving it on my desktop, like I have done in the past with IDE drives, but it's proving difficult.

I purchased a SATA to IDE adapter, as well as a SATA PCI card, and no luck; the drive isn't detected in My Comptuer, or in BIOS. Is it because I'm connecting it to a MB that's just too old? Is is a drivers issue?

There may be a setting in BIOS to enable SATA bus first, before the drives actually show up. There also may be a simple driver that came with your PCI card, that will make it show up in Windows. But PCI device is a PCI device. It has to meet specs, so it should work in every computer with PCI slot available.
      08-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

The problem may not be from your computer but your WD hard drive. If you have a MyBook you're fucked my friend. I have the 2TB studio edition and I've been able to use the eSATA port on it once. Ever since that either my Macpro doesnt see it or it makes my comp crash. Like it wont start lol. I will never ever buy another WD product again. Its the second one that has sucked balls already.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
The problem may not be from your computer but your WD hard drive. If you have a MyBook you're fucked my friend. I have the 2TB studio edition and I've been able to use the eSATA port on it once. Ever since that either my Macpro doesnt see it or it makes my comp crash. Like it wont start lol. I will never ever buy another WD product again. Its the second one that has sucked balls already.

sucks to be you man, but ive got 2 drives in my tower and both run flawlessless now for 2+ years. not a single complaint, and they are both nice and silent.

to the OP...does the drive spin? thats the first clue its still working. if its not....well then you had better take it to a recovery shop if you really want whats on it. if it is spinning, then i would suggest opening the case (i think for the MyBooks you have to break it open, after unscrewing it the case) and try getting a SATA to USB converter from eBay for like 15 bux, and running it as an external drive that way. you might have damaged the onboard controller for the case and the HDD might still work. if that doesnt work, then you just might be SOL, sorry man.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

Thanks clark192... I'll try that :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
nOLd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MCoupe Interlagos Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post

Also make sure that your power supply is SATA ready if not you can buy a power cable adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark192 View Post
sucks to be you man, but ive got 2 drives in my tower and both run flawlessless now for 2+ years. not a single complaint, and they are both nice and silent.
I agree with you on that.. I had a WD internal drive on my old pc that my bro still uses and not a problem with that. It's their external drives that suck lol especially the mybook

Appreciate 0