E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Shock replacement

06-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Shock replacement

How's it going guys,
So I drive a 2007 328xi coupe and my rear shocks are basically shot. They need to be replaced and I've been doing just a little research online on what it takes to change them. After watching a youtube diy video I'm amazed at how simple the replacement is.

My question is, can I change the rear oem shocks out and replace them with bilstein b6 shocks? I don't need to replace the front shocks yet so I was wondering if having oem shocks in the front and bilstein b6s in the back would it be a problem?

I don't know much about suspensions and I'm tight on money at the moment with my current work and health situations.

Anyone with some knowledge and input on this topic please "enlighten" me! Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Stream
T667YM86
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 05'

Yes you can replace with Bilstein B6 (Bilstein HD).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

and do rear only, do the fronts when they need it, although you will be missing out on alot of bilstein goodness! see my post entitled 'happy with my bilsteins'.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
Yes you can replace with Bilstein B6 (Bilstein HD).
Awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
and do rear only, do the fronts when they need it, although you will be missing out on alot of bilstein goodness! see my post entitled 'happy with my bilsteins'.
Lol I'm going to check the post out right now. That was my plan, do the rears first, and then the front when they need to be replaced. But, if I save a few extra dollars I'll end up getting the fronts done also. I have some questions about the shocks but I'm going to check your post first and see if that answers my questions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

I got some used e92 sport package rear shocks super cheap if you want them. Also search you tube bavauto e90 shock replacement the rear is super easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

And yes billstein b6/hd if you don't plan on lowering and billstein are great shocks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Replaced my rears on the e90 today with the Koni FSD's. The hardest part was the stupid trunk liner as I don't have fold down rear seats. The actual shock removal and installation was easy peasy.

Next weekend on to the front struts, but need to get a spring compressor tool from Autozone and make sure I have enough time to do both sides during the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
Replaced my rears on the e90 today with the Koni FSD's. The hardest part was the stupid trunk liner as I don't have fold down rear seats. The actual shock removal and installation was easy peasy.

Next weekend on to the front struts, but need to get a spring compressor tool from Autozone and make sure I have enough time to do both sides during the day.
Let me know how the front turns out. I plan to do the rears myself if I get the shocks. I'm seriously debating waiting and saving money for a coilover kit, probably the h&r kit, but that I would need to get installed professionally.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwild View Post
Let me know how the front turns out. I plan to do the rears myself if I get the shocks. I'm seriously debating waiting and saving money for a coilover kit, probably the h&r kit, but that I would need to get installed professionally.
Ah the fronts... I have the stock sport suspension, and the strut assemblies came out of the car very easily. Here's my biggest takeaway from this whole adventure. Don't bother trying to use a rented spring compression tool. Take the assemblies to a tire shop and have them changes the front shocks out the right way in under 10 minutes.

So after I removed the assembly on the passenger side, I used the spring compressor tool to compress the spring enough to remove the nut on the top hat. Problem was that the tool doesn't compress the spring evenly, so the top hat was kinked on the shock shaft and wouldn't come off. Careful manipulation of the springs and tool finally got the spring free of the shock. But now the stupid tool wouldn't compress the spring correctly to get it back on the new shock. Took the whole thing back to Autozone and said here, you do it. Took the guy 1.5 hours. Said that's enough for me and took the drivers side to the tire shop the next morning, gave them $25 and said thank you very much.

If you're doing a coilover installation you will not run into these problems. Follow this video and you're home free. You DO NOT need to have a coilover kit professionally installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Save your cash. I think replacing a 4 in a weekend is the way to go. The car probably will feel a little odd with new shocks in the back and old ones up front. Especially considering you want to put in Bilisteins. They are an upgrade to oem I think. So, you would have shocks in the back that are better then OEM and worn out oem shocks in the front.

Again, if it can wait a month, save your cash and do it right. You should be able to get the set for around $650.00 I would consider adding $200 to that total for the accessory kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
slowbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cpe, 2011 335XI Sdn

Where did you come up with the $650/set for front and rear Bilstein HD's? Do we have any vendors on here that want to sell to me in the next few days??!
Appreciate 0