E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Blue Nile

07-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

Blue Nile

So, I'll be getting engaged soon. We have gone ring shopping a few times, and I feel like the rings at most jewlery stores are way over priced, compared to Blue Nile.

Who has had experience with Blue Nile? Any input would be great, thanks.

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Ignignokt
No one can defeat the quad laser.
Rep
Drives: 335

I have experience with them, but to a limited extent. I've only ordered bands from them. I wouldn't order stones sight-unseen. They seem really legit though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

When I proposed to my wife I bought mine from them. I highly recommend them. I agree you are buying some thing with out actually seeing the diamond. However I did go to many different jewellery stores and picked up the grade.clarity and the carot of the diamond. Then I went to Bluenile and priced it. Huge differnce in my case. Ended up ordering it from them.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
tyhan
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 sparkling graphite

www.pricescope.com

I recently upgraded my ladies ring after reading through their resources. I ended up going with whiteflash and couldn't be happier with the result.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
DMan11389
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I've heard great things about Blue Nile and know some people who have purchased diamonds from them. I wouldn't worry about buying a diamond without seeing it, if you know exactly what you want, they're all certified so it doesn't really matter. Retail diamond prices are crazy.

Congrats on the upcoming engagement!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
I bought a bracelet for my girlfriend there. I haven't given it to her yet so I don't know her reaction but it looks nice and came packaged well.. The branding blue nile isn't all that fancy but hey!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Exclamation Just something to think about...

"I definitely don't agree with the tradition (it's not even all that old) of buying the woman a diamond ring. It's like you're trying to "buy" her hand in marriage and you're showing that you believe she is of a greater value than you. That money would be better spent on the downpayment to the house or saving it for the children.

That being said, 99% of women would completely flip out if they didn't receive a diamond ring. They believe they are entitled to it.

And some of you wonder why so many women today think the world revolves around them!

- You chase women and ask them out.
- You pay for the date(s)
- You buy her a diamond engagement ring
- You propose to her with a diamond ring (basically saying I'm offering you myself plus the value of this ring along with everything else I will be obligated to purchase for you in the future if you'll agree to be my wife)"
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

It is definitely a legit publicly-traded company that has been around for quite some time now. All of their stones are GIA certified just like any stone you would get from any retail store. As long as you do your research and know exactly (or very close to) what parameters you want in the stone as well as how much you are willing to pay, it is very convenient and easy to shop through Blue Nile, and you get a much better price than shopping retail. From what I remember, they don't have a great selection of rings and settings, so what you can do is purchase a loose stone from BN and then just go to a local jeweler and find a setting that you like. The settings cost a fraction of the price of the stone, so not as much need to shop around for those.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Btw another option to consider is purchasing a cultured diamond. These are basically laboratory-grown diamonds. Chemically they are REAL diamonds, not CZ or moisinaite or anything like that, and in fact are more "perfect" since real naturally occuring diamonds always have imperfections of some sort or another. There is no such thing as a "flawless" naturally occuring diamond. Anyway, a cultured diamond is far cheaper than a natural diamond and again it is a real stone.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
"I definitely don't agree with the tradition (it's not even all that old) of buying the woman a diamond ring. It's like you're trying to "buy" her hand in marriage and you're showing that you believe she is of a greater value than you. That money would be better spent on the downpayment to the house or saving it for the children.

That being said, 99% of women would completely flip out if they didn't receive a diamond ring. They believe they are entitled to it.

And some of you wonder why so many women today think the world revolves around them!

- You chase women and ask them out.
- You pay for the date(s)
- You buy her a diamond engagement ring
- You propose to her with a diamond ring (basically saying I'm offering you myself plus the value of this ring along with everything else I will be obligated to purchase for you in the future if you'll agree to be my wife)"
But they have the pussy. And as we all know the pussy ain't free whether it be dinner, diamond rings, the car you drive or hookers! The pussy ain't free.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalm18 View Post
But they have the pussy. And as we all know the pussy ain't free whether it be dinner, diamond rings, the car you drive or hookers! The pussy ain't free.
You're putting the pussy on the pedestal.

You are the catch, she should be lucky you have you.

If you have to buy her then she isn't the right woman, or at least not someone I would want to spend the rest of my life with.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Bought the wifes wedding stone from them - N/P. They will send you all you could get in person before a single $ is charged. They will send up to 2 stones and let you return the one you don't care for - still not charging the CC for up to like 48 hrs I think. All are shipped overnight. Know what you are looking for and you can't beat their price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
so what you can do is purchase a loose stone from BN and then just go to a local jeweler and find a setting that you like. The settings cost a fraction of the price of the stone, so not as much need to shop around for those.
Bingo - and the setting is more of a personal thing anything. Get the other half to select some type of setting and then find a stone you can afford and will look good in that setting.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

http://shopping.yahoo.com/merchantrating/?mid=798

The only thing I've heard bad.. (but this was from my local jeweler who was probably trying to make a sale himself even though I've been going to him for 13 years) is that they aren't too quick to tell you about the "fluorescence" of the diamond which is something that makes it glow blue in black lighting (clubs, lounges, etc). Everyone checks the 4 C's.. (cut, color, clarity, carat) that they forget about the fluorescence.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

Can't say Iv been in a local jewelry store where the bring up florescence either. Its cool my wife does not go into blacklight discos too much anymore anyhow.

I actually learned about it on the interwebz ironically.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Can't say Iv been in a local jewelry store where the bring up florescence either. Its cool my wife does not go into blacklight discos too much anymore anyhow.

I actually learned about it on the interwebz ironically.
I guess my jeweler has grown to really like me? He said you won't hear about it a lot unless you ask and maybe being "younger" and still going to clubs he figured I should know. I feel young
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys for all your input.

Regarding florescence, one of the first places we went to the jewler told us florescence were a good thing. Then we went to a guy that my gf banks for (he's a diamond importer or something) and he laughed and rolled his eyes and told us the exact opposite. On BN, they do have to option to say if you want floresence or not, but make when it says 'none' it actually means 'slight.' Who knows.

Has anyone that purchased from BN taken it to a jewler and got it checked? I assume since its GIA cert, it will be correct, but just curious.

To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
Thanks guys for all your input.

Regarding florescence, one of the first places we went to the jewler told us florescence were a good thing. Then we went to a guy that my gf banks for (he's a diamond importer or something) and he laughed and rolled his eyes and told us the exact opposite. On BN, they do have to option to say if you want floresence or not, but make when it says 'none' it actually means 'slight.' Who knows.

Has anyone that purchased from BN taken it to a jewler and got it checked? I assume since its GIA cert, it will be correct, but just curious.
blue nile is pretty damn good. GIA certs are GIA certs, it doesn't matter where you purchase from. Remember BN will be better than ANY fly by day retailer (Zales, etc).
Go blue nile, or find a smaller dealer in your area that specializes.... don't get anything but GIA unless you have a very small budget.

Fluorescence is all a matter of opinion, do a little research (Refer to following statement about pricescope). Some people like it, some don't. That's the one thing that is truly 100% in the eyes of the beholder.. personally I think it's a pretty sweet effect in certain lighting conditions.

and as mentioned above..pricescope forums are *awesome* you can learn a LOT
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

I actually had the stone set at a local jeweler. They indicated there was no way they could have matched that price for a stone that size and quality. It would have been probably about 15-20 percent smaller all other things being equal. Decide what your price range is and what stone size will be appropriate, and then check a local dealer. Then go online and see how close it is. It will also depend on the shape of the stone what might be available locally.

If you near SA or Austin check at http://americusdiamond.com/

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

also if you really want to impress...don't forget the option of a custom setting

believe it or not, a solid diamond, and a unique custom setting is literally the gift that keeps on giving (and receiving )...
every time your future wife goes to take her ring cleaned, if you did a halfway decent job you'll get a TON of compliments, guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
also if you really want to impress...don't forget the option of a custom setting

believe it or not, a solid diamond, and a unique custom setting is literally the gift that keeps on giving (and receiving )...
every time your future wife goes to take her ring cleaned, if you did a halfway decent job you'll get a TON of compliments, guaranteed.

I do like this idea. I've always heard you get the best deal when you buy the stone and choose the setting fsomewhere else, rather than getting on that's 'premade.' I guess I'll get the stone from BN and take it to someone local to get it set.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
335e92tx
ahat
Rep

Re: settings
see if you can get the GF to meet you at someplace and get a look at settings. Regardless of what they say at the time, they DO have a preference and don't want to be completely surprised (IE not happy). I managed to take the other half a few places with the plan of getting an idea of what she liked. In reality, there was ONE she really wanted above all others. After we left the store I drove around the block and went back in and got that specific one.

It was real funny one day about 3 weeks later when she wanted to go back to the same jeweler to get another look and she got there about 3 mins before I did and looked in the case and that setting was gone. I walked in the store and she said 'they sold my setting'.. so I had to do some fancy footwork to make her believe they could get another one - in hopes she did not find an alternate and I have to eat at least one setting.

Appreciate 0