E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi + KW v.3 = FANTASTIC

09-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post

As a matter of fact this is a great question as my headlights developed severe near-sightedness after the coilovers were installed. Well thank God for this forum because I found the simple screwdriver fix you've mentioned.

I would add that I had little success with the 25 ft. aiming method. Instead, I took the car to a dark road and (using the trusty BMW flashlight for illumination) adjusted them to my liking. This took quite a few reevolutions to get right. They still do the auto-level routine unabated, they're just not navel-gazing anymore.
Sounds good

I'm still wondering the the headlights will auto-level/move as you drive up inclines...etc...
      09-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #24
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy330xi View Post
I will definately let you know how they feel at 155mph in the Autobahn, it's included in my scheduled tests for review along with some really fun twisty roads and a drive throught the Austrian Alps. Can't wait, anticipation is killing me.
I can't wait to read your report. For such a grand adventure, however, it is essential that you use only the highest quality fuel.

That's why I recommend stops along the way for some wiener schnitzel and beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Well done Terry. That Amy Winehouse crack was nice too

I am probably on board for them next year.

Who did the work on it in the 'toon?
I called a couple of specialty shops, but ended up going to Kal Tire shop I've used in the past and trust.

You should defnitely get them. I would actually recommend going through the same shop that Jim used because with shipping, duty and broker fees you don't save much, and I bet you won't have to pay much for the install since they already know how to do it. I think you would like how much your daily drive is improved along with what you can get away with when the EPS aren't watching. Next time I'm in E'chuck I'll ring you up and you can try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Sounds good

I'm still wondering the the headlights will auto-level/move as you drive up inclines...etc...
I think the adjustment affects only the start position. The headlights still swivel around corners as before and go through the auto adjust routine at start-up. I never noticed the incline adjustment before, but I'll watch for it. I would think that adjustment would be pretty transitory anyway since the front and back tires are usually on the same plane.
      09-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
I think the adjustment affects only the start position. The headlights still swivel around corners as before and go through the auto adjust routine at start-up. I never noticed the incline adjustment before, but I'll watch for it. I would think that adjustment would be pretty transitory anyway since the front and back tires are usually on the same plane.
Awesome! Thanks!
      09-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #26
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Guys please forgive my ignorance, but I need a little help. Can you please provide some assistance on where the adjustment points are on the coilovers. They're already installed and my ride is hard as hell and I would like to soften it up. I found the adjustment points on the rear shocks at the bottom and I did four turns with the space that was available (believe that equals one full revolution). I think there are two more points on the top of the rears which I have to remove the trunk molding to get to correct? Additionally are the front adjustment points the ones on the bottom that require a larger allen wrench than the one provided? Once again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this and would greatly appreicate any help or advice, just want a little softer ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #27
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Guys please forgive my ignorance, but I need a little help. Can you please provide some assistance on where the adjustment points are on the coilovers. They're already installed and my ride is hard as hell and I would like to soften it up. I found the adjustment points on the rear shocks at the bottom and I did four turns with the space that was available (believe that equals one full revolution). I think there are two more points on the top of the rears which I have to remove the trunk molding to get to correct? Additionally are the front adjustment points the ones on the bottom that require a larger allen wrench than the one provided? Once again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this and would greatly appreicate any help or advice, just want a little softer ride.
The install instructions should answer your questions, they seemed to be pretty straight-forward. That's why I got a shop to install mine. Did I mention that I adjusted my headlights by myself !
      09-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Yeah, I looked at the install instructions, still a little confusing, guess I'll take all the stuff out of the trunk and look there. I would take it back to the place where I had it installed, but they did such a horrible job that I'm not chancing them again. I'm still trying to get some of my money refunded to me. So, figured I would try it on my own first. Once again, any help would be appreciated. Oh, yeah, had to do my headlights too, LOL!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #29
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. Congrats on the new susp. Terry ..... I know you're loving it.

I got my V3's installed mid-May and have put numerous days at the track (road course) as well as a dozen high-speed commutes from Calgary to Salmon Arm BC on them. They are obviously THE mod the car requires, especially for sport-like driving thru mountain passes .

I don't recall mine ever bottoming out. My car is significantly lower than Terry's install (rears are now 330mm from wheel centre to fender), and both my bump and rebound are set at 75% (firmer).

The car is a bloody rocket on rails .... plain and simple

re: Headlights. I think they're adjusted far too low from the factory. At (higher?) speeds this just becomes much more obvious (especially at 3am on lonely mountain roads). I, like Terry, needed to stop and adjust / re-adjust mine several times before they were right - I simply bought hex key tool that fits whatever they call the fittings on the BMW. Easy-peasy
      09-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #30
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

matt aka. itsbrokeagain just installed these for me tonight. spent the evening chatting it up and taking his time, very nice guy. ill be going back for some minor fine tuning.

i have the bump and rebound at the recommended 8/6 and .75 turn. drove in some crappy roads in queens for the night and now im home. i think its still a little stiff. but the ride is awesome, handling is great. but i think i will do as the OP did and try 9/7 and 1 turn, for more comfort.
      09-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #31
SonicGerm
Master Shake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Wow I want this now. Where's a good place to buy them online and where and about how much are they to get installed. I just got an M-tech kit for my 335xi 08 I'll post pictures when I get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #32
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGerm View Post
Wow I want this now. Where's a good place to buy them online and where and about how much are they to get installed. I just got an M-tech kit for my 335xi 08 I'll post pictures when I get it installed.
**********s hooked me up. Apart from delays in getting them in stock and my getting bent over by import duties (neither of which were their fault) they were great to do business with and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

As for installation costs, there seems to be high variability. There is a thread on here about it. Check on one of the local forums to you on here and see if there are any recommendations.

Can't wait to see your pics.
      09-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #33
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

ya these v3's make me love driving my car again haha.

edit: spark, how do u like ur settings over potholes. i think there are way more potholes in NY. right now i have it on the recommended setting. i wonder if i should use what u have or go 1 even softer than urs. like 10/8 and 1.25 turn.
      09-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #34
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

jeez if only they werent so expensive...i wonder how hte HR coils handle potholes in comparison
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #35
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
ya these v3's make me love driving my car again haha.

edit: spark, how do u like ur settings over potholes. i think there are way more potholes in NY. right now i have it on the recommended setting. i wonder if i should use what u have or go 1 even softer than urs. like 10/8 and 1.25 turn.
You will never win a pothole competition against someone from Saskatchewan.

Potholes are handled without drama with the settings I have. The true test will be in the spring, however, where potholes are as common as gopher holes on the bald prairie and grow to become sink holes and even black holes in some places.

I would love to know how softer settings would perform. I am a little confused because KW literature says that these settings are for slow speeds anyway, where high speed performance is factory set. I'm not sure I understand that but do think that 'softer' settings are still way more stiff than OEM.

In that respect, they are like setting your thermostat in your house. Just because you're hot (or cold) doesn't mean you cram the thermostat to the other extreme or you'll be feeling the opposite before long.
      09-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #36
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Good advice *as usual* Terry. Mine are firm(er) and I believe it's all what you get used to. Certainly Calgary has it's fair share of giant potholes, and I unfortunately hit the occasional one (last one required a front end alignment / wheel balance).

Gotta run .... there's a meet happening in 30 minutes that I'm going to take in
      09-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #37
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep
Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
what do you guys think is better... the V3's or PSS-10's?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #38
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep
Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
... anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #39
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

I think you''ll find more VS3 references so that may skew the results. I would say VS3 until Koni does a shock for us.

I am waiting for the Koni/Dinan solution, hopefully sometime in '09

That or I'll buy an M6
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #40
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
That or I'll buy an M6
You make too much money Glenn

I'm thinking of an 09 M3 - E93 version
      09-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #41
SonicGerm
Master Shake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

I wanna get these is it a self install if not how much did you spend?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #42
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Nope .... not a DIY. Think my KWV3 install was around $500
      09-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #43
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
You make too much money Glenn

I'm thinking of an 09 M3 - E93 version
I am kidding. Then again if I had some extra cash I'd get a used one.

I am actually thinking of an E92 M3 myself and then drive the SUV in the winter. We'll give BMWCA a year or 2 to choke on slow M3 sales.

I gotta get my GF a commuter Civic or something like that so it'll be a year at least.

I think the M3 may be the best compromise for a daily driver and performance sports car. Gotta have a winter vehicle though.

I'd do the M3 DCT.

Sorry for the
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #44
reggiecmah
the.tsukinousagi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Garage List
2007 E92 328xi  [0.00]
So if anyone wants to get rid of the KW V3's PM me hahah, i am looking for Coilovers for a E92 xi model... and the only ones out there right now for the Xi's are KW V3's or H&R Coilovers.

Soo either one would be great!!!

ps. Jim, if you ever consider getting a new Bilstien Suspesion, and you want to sell the KW V3's i am your man!!!
Appreciate 0