E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission 4f8d internal failure - options?

09-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 2016 X5, Jeep JKU

Transmission 4f8d internal failure - options?

I finally brought my 2007 e92 to BMW to have the transmission checked out.
Basically its giving the 4f8d internal failure. BMW recommends a new transmission.... $8k! I don't drive the car much - just a short hop to work and back each day so I could just drive it until the transmission actually fails or buy a used transmission and have it installed? Car only has 48k on it. Is buying a used tranny on eBay a bad idea? I love this car but hpfp went a few times (under warranty) and now this. I don't know if I would get another BMW...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

SI B 24 04 07
Automatic Transmission April 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
ZF 6HP19TU in Failsafe Mode with Fault 4F8D Stored

MODEL
E90, E91, E92 with N52K or N54 engines and the 6HP19TU automatic transmission produced from 9/01/06 up to 2/28/2007

SITUATION
The transmission goes into failsafe mode with fault code 4F8D (ratio monitoring, gearshift 5-4 – plausibility) stored in the EGS.

CAUSE
EGS software diagnostics is too sensitive.

This fault may occur during a 5-4 downshift only in vehicles with either low mileage, a replacement transmission, or after a reset of the adaptation values.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, perform an adaptation run as described in the procedure below.

Note: The transmission adaptation occurs only at a transmission oil temperature of 75°C or higher.

Once a transmission oil temperature of 75°C is reached, carry out the adaptation run as follows:

In drive position "D", increase vehicle speed up to 4th gear (approximately 25 mph), but do not allow a shift into 5th gear.

Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop and keep the vehicle stationary for approximately 15 seconds with the brake pedal applied.

Next, with the vehicle stationary, change from D to N and back to D again.

Repeat steps 1 to 3 approximately 10 times.

This problem is solved in series production beginning 3/01/07 with integration level E89x-07-03-510.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
24 00 23 83 00

Labor Operation:
24 99 000

Labor Allowance:
4 FRU
WT
      09-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response. I tried that fix and so did an indie garage I went to and it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Then try a software update for the trans and repeat.
      10-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep

Brought it back to BMW. They tried the fix listed above and it didn't work. They are now going to reprogram the whole car to see if that works. That is the last option, really, and then its on to new transmission land.....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Hmm interesting. At worst hopefully all you'll have to do is swap the valve body (or even better, just some seals or solenoids, etc.).

I've also read where sometimes a low/dying battery causes this same code/issue lol german reliability
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep

Service advisor said they reprogrammed car, then did procedure above again, then drove car 10 miles and no error light. They tech still noticed something when changing gears and a jolt when coming to a stop but it's not as bad as it was before. The jolt when coming to a stop was usually followed by the error light so fingers crossed that they fixed it but still getting the jolt doesn't sound good...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Just curious.....
If our tranny was low on Oil, would we get a notification of any kind?

On the case with the OP.... 48k and a tranny problem is ....wtf.

DN
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Googie
Irish
United_States
Rep

It looks like I don't need a new tranny after all. BMW reprogrammed the car and then did the procedure again and now everything seems fine. The Internet saves the day! Woohoo!
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie
It looks like I don't need a new tranny after all. BMW reprogrammed the car and then did the procedure again and now everything seems fine. The Internet saves the day! Woohoo!
Thanks guys
Nice, do you know what exactly was programmed?

DN
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
surf231
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan e90

Hello, My 2005 330I e90 is having the same code now and I am trying to figure out what to do. The code says 4F8D Ratio Monitoring, gearshift 5-4.

My ride only has 66KM on it. I really hope the above solution works but since my car of just before the listed year I am feeling doubtful. What exact re-programming did they do? Is this chargeable?

Anyone come to conclusions why this happens? The local mechanic says the transmission shops believes it is the value body which is still pricey to fix and if this turns out not to be the case, I am back to having the transmission rebuilt as they do not make new ones anymore.

FYI - Mechanic suggested a Transmission Oil change, said it was pretty black, however 2 days later the same transmission light error came on and car went back into limp mode. So I found changing the trans oil was not helpful.

Last edited by surf231; 12-15-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Guss.tk
Registered
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 325i

Guys. I have the same problem with my E92 2007 transmission, error code 4F8D.

Ive seen a post in this thread says that he had the same error and it was solved after changing the battery! Guys... believe it or not i have mine fixed by just changing the battery

Everyone and every garage told me that i have to change the valve body which would cost me around 4K USD. It eventually costed me 200USD worth of a new battery :l

Thank you guys for the great tip
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Guss.tk
Registered
Qatar
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 325i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf231 View Post
Hello, My 2005 330I e90 is having the same code now and I am trying to figure out what to do. The code says 4F8D Ratio Monitoring, gearshift 5-4.

My ride only has 66KM on it. I really hope the above solution works but since my car of just before the listed year I am feeling doubtful. What exact re-programming did they do? Is this chargeable?

Anyone come to conclusions why this happens? The local mechanic says the transmission shops believes it is the value body which is still pricey to fix and if this turns out not to be the case, I am back to having the transmission rebuilt as they do not make new ones anymore.

FYI - Mechanic suggested a Transmission Oil change, said it was pretty black, however 2 days later the same transmission light error came on and car went back into limp mode. So I found changing the trans oil was not helpful.

Dude i had the same problem with my E92 2007 transmission, error code 4F8D.

Ive seen a post in this thread says that he had the same error and it was solved after changing the battery! Guys... believe it or not i have mine fixed by just changing the battery

Everyone and every garage told me that i have to change the valve body which would cost me around 4K USD. It eventually costed me 200USD worth of a new battery :l

Thank you guys for the great tip
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #14
Carbon335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 Bmw 335i

i am having this same code and im about to go buy a new valve body. is this really caused by a bad battery cause when the code appears i just put in "N" shut off the car and turn it back on and the car works again. sometimes i have to clear it with my scanner but most of the time i can just shut it off and turn it back on. i am going to load test the battery tomorrow and make sure its good.

ps: i just bought this car and only have had it for 3weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie View Post
I finally brought my 2007 e92 to BMW to have the transmission checked out.
Basically its giving the 4f8d internal failure. BMW recommends a new transmission.... $8k! I don't drive the car much - just a short hop to work and back each day so I could just drive it until the transmission actually fails or buy a used transmission and have it installed? Car only has 48k on it. Is buying a used tranny on eBay a bad idea? I love this car but hpfp went a few times (under warranty) and now this. I don't know if I would get another BMW...

$4500 was the going dealer rate not so long ago....RIP!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #16
Carbon335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 Bmw 335i

Anyone fix this issue before I sped the money on a new valve body? Would hate to buy one if its not needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon335i View Post
Anyone fix this issue before I sped the money on a new valve body? Would hate to buy one if its not needed.
I would definitely test the battery, and have the transmission software updated before you replace any internal parts.

The dealer usually charges an hour of labor to update the software, I think. Even though there's a chance that's not the problem, I'd say it's worth it compared to what the valve body will cost.

What is the build date of your car? Is it within the range from the SIB posted above? Is your scanner able to read the transmission software version?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #18
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

hi guys so glad to have found this thread.

i've had this problem come up intermittently over the past 6 months owning an 2006 e92.

i've had a transmission service done, had the fluids, pans and filters replaced but this error still comes up randomly and always solves itself after a restart.

symptoms seem to be spot on, always shows up after prolonged driving or when the engine has been warmed up and going for sometime...

are there any guides out there to update my software? i've got inpa+k d-can cable and have been diagnosing my own error codes and coding a few things on the ecu, would i have sufficient knowledge to update the software on my own?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex
hi guys so glad to have found this thread.

i've had this problem come up intermittently over the past 6 months owning an 2006 e92.

i've had a transmission service done, had the fluids, pans and filters replaced but this error still comes up randomly and always solves itself after a restart.

symptoms seem to be spot on, always shows up after prolonged driving or when the engine has been warmed up and going for sometime...

are there any guides out there to update my software? i've got inpa+k d-can cable and have been diagnosing my own error codes and coding a few things on the ecu, would i have sufficient knowledge to update the software on my own?
Did you reset the transmission adaptations?
      09-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #20
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
I somehow figured this out before I saw your post, but that's exactly what I did, and problem seems to have been solved!!

i believe the workshop might've reset it during the tranny service but the oil wasn't at temperature to relearn proper engine braking mapping adaptations..

i was tinkling away with INPA and NCSexpert and my car was well warmed up before I did my own adaptation reset and took it out for a spin to do 5-4-3 in D mode using only engine brakes and it seems to have fixed the issue.

This thread saved me from a potential costly tranny rebuild! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #21
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex
Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
I somehow figured this out before I saw your post, but that's exactly what I did, and problem seems to have been solved!!

i believe the workshop might've reset it during the tranny service but the oil wasn't at temperature to relearn proper engine braking mapping adaptations..

i was tinkling away with INPA and NCSexpert and my car was well warmed up before I did my own adaptation reset and took it out for a spin to do 5-4-3 in D mode using only engine brakes and it seems to have fixed the issue.

This thread saved me from a potential costly tranny rebuild! Thanks!
IMHO, you are not out of the woods yet.
I plan on executing the actions from the attached site in the next year:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sayyart...?client=safari
      05-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #22
Rockane_a
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i & 2007 BMW 335i

I initially read this post over a year ago. I had performed transmission service on my 2007 335i e90 with 115k miles because it started to shift a little rough a month after I bought the car. I reset the adaptations after changing the fluid and pan. After the service everything was fine but after 30 miles it went into transmission limp mode with fault 5-4 incorrect gear ratio and was stuck in 5th gear. I did a lot of research and found out about the mechatronic seals and sleeves and replaced them but still had the same problem. I continued to drive with the fault for a few months then one day it stopped going into limp mode but the shifts were still very rough. Eventually I decided to change the transmission solenoids. It solved everything. The car shifted very well. From my experience, dont reset adaptations after just replacing fluid. If faults are present change solenoids, mechatronic seal, and sleeves together. The solenoids and seals should fix many transmission faults if addressed soon enough. Including 2-1 gear shifts and 3-4 flares from my experience. My car has the zf6hp21 transmission
Appreciate 0