E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Lowering springs didn't lower front

04-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
JayAr-E90
E90MSport FTW!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Garage Load

Garage List
Lowering springs didn't lower front

Been working on a seat ibiza mk3 and in the process of lowering the car on 35mm apex springs... Its been about a week now and the rear of the car has settle really well but the front still seems way too high for lowering springs compared to the rear ones. I didnt use a compressor when installing the lowering springs. What could be the problem!!!? Helpppp... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

What do you mean you did not use a compressor? A spring compressor?

The back shocks might have blown and thats why it settled so fast and is much lower. THe fronts might have settled but not as much as the rear for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Was there a reverse rake before? Lots of times, the front fender on cars is slightly bigger than the rear and it's not apparent until you lower it. Some springs account for the difference and drop the front more, some don't.

Not using a spring compressor should have no impact on how it installs, it's just more dangerous to launch springs. Springs don't settle, if they did, they would be worthless. What people think is springs settling is just from jacking up the car and lowering it back. Next time you raise your car and lower it, notice how it looks higher even though you didn't change the suspension.

Blown shocks will not cause ride height changes while static. The spring rate and length determines your ride height, shocks have basically no impact on this. A blown shock would only cause you to go through the spring travel faster, it won't impact how the car sits.

So your problem is either you didn't orient the springs correctly when you installed. I've seen sometimes when the spring doesn't seat properly and it's at an angle, this can cause binding and ride height issues since the spring isn't aligned. Or if that's not it, it may just be the springs themselves. I've had springs in the past that resulted in bigger wheel gap in front. That was just based on the spring design and nothing could be done.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
JayAr-E90
E90MSport FTW!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Stupid question... How do you tell if its at an angle?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
JesseJames
JC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93

I think you need a new car
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Probably didn't install them right in the seats. That will add a good inch.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Just look to see if it's seated correctly. I'm not sure about your Seat, but on most cars I've worked on, the spring only fits one way. The bottom is clocked in a notch or something it seats on. So if it's not properly set in the mount, it will be jacked up. Just take the wheel off and see if it is oriented properly and aligned with the shock. Hard to describe, but if it's wrong, you'll see it immediately.

But I don't know that both springs would be incorrect unless you installed them both using the wrong technique or something. That would be very hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAr-E90 View Post
Stupid question... How do you tell if its at an angle?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
JayAr-E90
E90MSport FTW!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
I think you need a new car
Its only a project car