E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Four New BMW Apps for iPhone Announced: Rhapsody, Audible, Glympse, TuneIn

03-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb Four New BMW Apps for iPhone Announced: Rhapsody, Audible, Glympse, TuneIn

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Four New BMW Apps for iPhone Announced: Rhapsody, Audible, Glympse, TuneIn
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW%20Apps%20Rhapsody.jpg
Views: 11386
Size:  85.5 KB

BMW today announced four new partners to provide BMW Approved Apps for BMW Apps option for Apple iPhone. The latest BMW Approved Apps include Audible (downloadable audio books and other spoken-word content), Glympse (location sharing), Rhapsody (subscription music service) and TuneIn (Internet radio). These newest integrations broaden the flexibility and usability of the industry’s most comprehensive smartphone integration.

“We regularly identify apps that our owners rely on as part of their everyday life, and adapt them for an in-vehicle experience they’ll find safe, useful and engaging,” said Phil Johnston, Product Manager for the BMW Group Apps Platform from the BMW Group Technology Office. “Audible, Glympse, Rhapsody and TuneIn were natural additions to the family of BMW Apps Ready Apps.”

Johnston continued, “Integrating access to digital spoken-word content from Audible was the next logical way to expand audio entertainment for drivers. The ability to use the Glympse app from the existing vehicle controls enables drivers to share their whereabouts and ETA in a much safer way. Music is key to vehicle infotainment, and by partnering with Rhapsody, we are delivering music to our owners in user-friendly formats they prefer. With TuneIn, BMW drivers will not only get thousands of music radio stations, but also live sports, news and talk shows from around the world.”

Audible: The leader in downloadable audiobooks and other audio content.
Audible is the world’s largest producer and seller of digital spoken-word entertainment. Audible content comprises over 135,000 audio programs from more than 2,700 content providers, including leading audiobook publishers, broadcasters, entertainers, magazine and newspaper publishers and business information providers. Audible is the exclusive provider of downloadable audiobooks to Apple’s iTunes store.

The addition of Audible’s digital spoken-word content to BMW Apps marks the first time a graphical integration of the app is available in a vehicle’s infotainment system. Using BMW Apps, Audible customers will be able to access their library through the BMW iDrive controls and menu display. With Audible’s innovative Whispersync for Voice technology, BMW owners can also switch seamlessly between reading a book on their Kindle at home and listening to the companion audiobook in the car via their iPhone app—without losing their place. With Audible’s suite of mobile apps, last listening position, bookmarks and notes are saved in the cloud, ensuring drivers always pick up where they left off when they open their iPhone app.

Glympse: GPS-driven location sharing.
Glympse’s location-sharing application enables users to share their location with anyone for a specified period of time. Enabling access to this function through BMW Apps allows drivers to use the car’s familiar controls to share their location and arrival time while en route, without the dangers of picking up their phone.

In use with BMW Apps, Glympse location information from the app is populated with options to share, pause or cancel the information through the BMW iDrive controller and screen. Drivers can opt to send the Glympse to other users via the app, using the phone’s existing contact list, or their personal social media feeds (Facebook and Twitter).

Rhapsody: Subscription music service.
Rhapsody is the original premium, ad-free on-demand music service, with more than one million members, who can listen to more than 16 million tracks on their favorite device, including connected audio systems, smartphones, iPads and Android tablets, MP3 players, connected TVs, gaming consoles and in-car audio. Rhapsody offers the best music discovery tools, thanks to a team of renowned editors help guide members through Rhapsody's catalog spanning 600 genres with original features and content, including videos, playlists, reviews and radio stations for effortless listening and discovery. Rhapsody makes it easy to find the right song for every moment.

The Rhapsody iPhone app will be fully integrated into the BMW Apps system, meaning users will be able to not only use the vehicle controls to find and listen to their favorite tracks, but also navigate Rhapsody’s music discovery tools, which have been adapted for in-car use.

TuneIn: The World’s Radio.
TuneIn lets people listen to the world’s music, sports, talk and news from wherever they are, with over 70,000 AM, FM, HD and Internet radio stations and more than two million on-demand programs streaming from every continent. The free service includes practically every genre of music, including decades stations, plus live sports, and nearly every podcast show. A free personal account helps drivers access their favorite stations, songs and programs across any device.

The BMW Apps integration will enable users to access the TuneIn app using infotainment controls of their vehicle, allowing them to navigate the world’s radio from their car.

BMW Apps: The industry’s most comprehensive smart phone
The BMW Apps option, available in model year 2011 and later BMWs enables the BMW driver to be more seamlessly connected than ever before using their Apple iPhone. Vehicle compatible apps like the BMW Connected App can be downloaded from the iTunes store, enabling customers to access Twitter and Facebook updates, listen to internet radio from around the world with Web Radio, and use the Last Mile feature to help find their parked vehicle. The calendar can also be accessed. Additionally, popular services like Pandora, MOG and Stitcher can be easily and safely streamed into and controlled by the BMW vehicle interface. The flexible design of BMW Apps allows unprecedented integration of smartphone functions, taking the in-car integration of iPhone, entertainment and online functions to a whole new level. BMW Apps adopts the familiar BMW display and controls to ensure that all functions can be operated comfortably, simply, safely and intuitively while minimizing driver distraction.

The iPhone is linked to the car through the center console either via the USB cable, supplied with the phone, or through an available snap-in adapter. Once connected, the phone can be stored away and all functions can be operated using the vehicle’s iDrive controller, steering wheel buttons and on-board monitor.

Name:  BMW%20Apps%20Rhapsody.jpg
Views: 11386
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  BMW%20Apps%20Audible.jpg
Views: 10829
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  BMW%20Apps%20Glympse.jpg
Views: 10755
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  BMW%20Apps%20TuneIn.jpg
Views: 10902
Size:  90.1 KB

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
DireMuse
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D (F20)

SPOTIFY
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Cool. I think I will use this as an excuse to give TuneIn a try. One you get spoiled with the variety and (typical) lack of adds on Internet radio, it's hard to go back to FM/XM.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireMuse View Post
SPOTIFY
MOG is there.

MOG is better.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
2re
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640d GC 2012, Frozen Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireMuse
SPOTIFY
Agree! Would be most welcome.
      03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

Audi-ble? How the heck can BMW have that! Should call it BMWable. ha ha. OK, bad joke.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

...Instagram. Integrate rear view cams to take pics of all the cars we pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

really wish my 09 could just get a simple software update to handle new apps.
      03-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
Word

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

Quote:
Double word
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Brenzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
SPOTIFY
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

How about Android support?
      03-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

When I first got my car (Feb 2012), the BMW connected app would work with your phone locked. Then there was an update that broke this functionality and you now have to keep it unlocked when using it. I haven't used it since. If they switched it back, I would use it, but having to leave my phone on the whole time I'm driving isn't going to work. I really wish they would fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Didn't TuneIn Radio support get announced like a year ago? I'm still waiting for some ///M specific designed app for data logging and track activities.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
Btyler227
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i

Quote:
SPOTIFY
PLEASE! BMW, HEAR OUR PRAYERS.
      03-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
How about Android support?
+1

iphone support is a given considering their market share of high end smartphones, but BMW better be careful with their poor android support. Android is going to be the dominant platform going forward and customers are not going to be happy with half done apps for it.

Let's get to work BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
Word
      03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Shell
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
When I first got my car (Feb 2012), the BMW connected app would work with your phone locked. Then there was an update that broke this functionality and you now have to keep it unlocked when using it. I haven't used it since. If they switched it back, I would use it, but having to leave my phone on the whole time I'm driving isn't going to work. I really wish they would fix it.
Yeah, me too. I don't use apps at all anymore because you now have to leave the phone unlocked. In our hot climate, after just a short drive with the phone in the centre console, it feels ready to combust. The heat can't be good for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
More useless apps. How many internet radio apps do we really need?

And let me guess, they still only work when running in the foreground :/
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
What phone? Works fine on my AT&T iPhone 5. I just plug the phone in, launch my app (pandora) and let the phone do whatever it wants after that.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btyler227
Quote:
SPOTIFY
PLEASE! BMW, HEAR OUR PRAYERS.
Why not just switch? I've tried them all and switched from Rdio to Spotify to MOG. Costs nothing extra to hop providers.

MOG has the best sound quality and is probably a slight 2nd to Spotify in content library. I don't use a lot of playlists though, so I can see how losing those may irritate some folks.
      03-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Didn't TuneIn Radio support get announced like a year ago? I'm still waiting for some ///M specific designed app for data logging and track activities.
I tried some of the apps available on the Mini side and there's a lot more choice. A cool one that displays HP/torque/forcemeter, also monitors gear changes/breaking, etc. Beats me why they don't have a version for BMWs.
Appreciate 0