E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

10-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #287
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
While I know there is talk of the "new" i-drive (CIC) retrofit, I just wanted to let everyone know that my (CCC) i-drive retrofit is now 100% complete. As of today, I have full functionality, including voice control, traffic info and no faults whatsoever. The full retrofit is now complete.

As such, I have updated my retrofit document (PDF) for anyone interested in the process. This will likely be my last update to it unless someone sends me some pictures to add from their retrofit. It can be found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~Booster/idr...e_retrofit.pdf

Thanks for everyone's help and enthusiasm (well, at least some of you were enthusiastic!) Just goes to show...where there's a will, there's a way!

Its almost winter time....I'm on to my heated seat retrofit!.....
What you did is just incredible ! Hi 5 !
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #288
song8062
Rep
Drives: e92 320i

As I have mentioned that I am retrofiting the Idrive on the car which was imported from Japan, now the problem I am facing is that Autologic could not talke to NAVI part in CCC (ECE version from Poland). But if we connect a CCC from Japan then Autologic can read the NAVI from CCC straigt way. thru this testing, I believe that problem is that my car is from japan, so autologic may tries to find JNAV rather than normal NAV, of cause it will not communicate.
So, not sure what to do at moment, I have also asked tech to remove 807 (japan version) from VO but still not working, it just no communication to NAV from autologic.
The next thing I probably will try is that to program the whole car after removing 807 from VO. and then try to use autologic to talk to NAV again. hope that works.

The problem is I can't program if autologic can't talk to NAVI part of the CCC.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #289
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
What you did is just incredible ! Hi 5 !
Thank you - I am enjoying it every day! (now, if I could just speed up the Ipod interface...)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #290
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by song8062 View Post
As I have mentioned that I am retrofiting the Idrive on the car which was imported from Japan, now the problem I am facing is that Autologic could not talke to NAVI part in CCC (ECE version from Poland). But if we connect a CCC from Japan then Autologic can read the NAVI from CCC straigt way. thru this testing, I believe that problem is that my car is from japan, so autologic may tries to find JNAV rather than normal NAV, of cause it will not communicate.
So, not sure what to do at moment, I have also asked tech to remove 807 (japan version) from VO but still not working, it just no communication to NAV from autologic.
The next thing I probably will try is that to program the whole car after removing 807 from VO. and then try to use autologic to talk to NAV again. hope that works.

The problem is I can't program if autologic can't talk to NAVI part of the CCC.
Any suggestions?
My guess (and I'm only qualified to guess, as I'm not familiar enough with the whole programming process up close)..is that you need to fool autologic into programming it. My guess is that you would remove the option code for JNAV (is that 807?) and put in 609 for Nav Professional. My guess is that you would also have to temporarily change the region code for the car to ECE (or something other than Japan) to get the Autologic to recognize it as a car that should get software for a CCC. Once programming was complete, you likely could change it back to its original region code.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 04:37 AM   #291
song8062
Rep

Quote:
My guess (and I'm only qualified to guess, as I'm not familiar enough with the whole programming process up close)..is that you need to fool autologic into programming it. My guess is that you would remove the option code for JNAV (is that 807?) and put in 609 for Nav Professional. My guess is that you would also have to temporarily change the region code for the car to ECE (or something other than Japan) to get the Autologic to recognize it as a car that should get software for a CCC. Once programming was complete, you likely could change it back to its original region code.
The problem is that I am still guessing as well, we don't know exactly why autologic does not want to talk to NAVI part in CCC. Well, I can say 80% is because that region issue, however the tech had removed 807 and autologic still does not talk to NAVI, so I am guessing after he removed 807, he will also need to reprogram the whole car to let ever other modue in the car to think it is not Japan version, then Autologic can probabaly recognize the NAVI. Also I don't think there is a option code for ECE car. if you know there is a option code for ECE car, can you tell me what is it?
I will talk to the tech next week and try this, I mean other than that I don't know what else I can try, I don't want to give up just yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #292
ruxp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
While I know there is talk of the "new" i-drive (CIC) retrofit, I just wanted to let everyone know that my (CCC) i-drive retrofit is now 100% complete. As of today, I have full functionality, including voice control, traffic info and no faults whatsoever. The full retrofit is now complete.

As such, I have updated my retrofit document (PDF) for anyone interested in the process. This will likely be my last update to it unless someone sends me some pictures to add from their retrofit. It can be found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~Booster/idr...e_retrofit.pdf

Thanks for everyone's help and enthusiasm (well, at least some of you were enthusiastic!) Just goes to show...where there's a will, there's a way!

Its almost winter time....I'm on to my heated seat retrofit!.....
Damn. That is a serious fucking accomplishment. You are my hero.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #293
song8062
Rep

Just came back from workshop, bad news again, we have changed nation version to UK in VO but still could not program the CCC, this problem has been escalated to Autologic technical support, hope will have solution soon.
Hope anyone here can give me some good suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #294
Frank2808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Amazing project!! I'd like to add that if the people are finding the software portion of the retrofit daunting you might want to try swapping the hardware and using a carputer to operate the screen. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #295
azmp1
Registered
Rep
Drives: '03 Audi a4, '08 bmw x5

Quote:
wow... that is an amazing job. two thumbs up to you Booster4075!!!

well, this may seem like a stupid question for the simple fact that i'm on the wrong forum asking about a wrong car, but i guess, the worst thing that can happen is i will not get an aswer i need and will have to continue with my search.

in any case, we just bought a new 08 X5 for my wife (our third) and just like you, unfortunatly we don't have a nav in this one (the previuos two did), but the deal was good as i figured i'll just retrofit... I've done extensive electronic and mechnical retrofits on both my current Audi a4 and my old e39 540 including nav on both, so techincal aspect for me is no problem. The problem however is that (to my surprise) there's very little info (no DIY's whatsoever) on any of the X5 boards that i post for an e70 nav retrofit.... My last several years i've been pretty much doing nothing but Audi work, so my info on where/how for the Bimmers is pretty thin now days.

In any case, my main question is how/where did you source/bought the parts, how did you find all the wiring diagrams, any other info that can help me start. One thing, i only doing the nav, since i already have the iDrive.

I don't want to threadjack here, so if you (or anyone else) have any suggestions feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #296
song8062
Rep

Quote:
Good news, that my retrofit is almost completed. Thanks autologic in UK they have fixed every tricky part in my car and now the CCC is fully functioning.
My dash has just arrived today, will put everything together next week and done!

We have to send the log file to UK each time after autologic reads it. and they generate a new program file and send back to us for testing, we were going back and forth for a week, finally had all going!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #297
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmp1 View Post
wow... that is an amazing job. two thumbs up to you Booster4075!!!

well, this may seem like a stupid question for the simple fact that i'm on the wrong forum asking about a wrong car, but i guess, the worst thing that can happen is i will not get an aswer i need and will have to continue with my search.

in any case, we just bought a new 08 X5 for my wife (our third) and just like you, unfortunatly we don't have a nav in this one (the previuos two did), but the deal was good as i figured i'll just retrofit... I've done extensive electronic and mechnical retrofits on both my current Audi a4 and my old e39 540 including nav on both, so techincal aspect for me is no problem. The problem however is that (to my surprise) there's very little info (no DIY's whatsoever) on any of the X5 boards that i post for an e70 nav retrofit.... My last several years i've been pretty much doing nothing but Audi work, so my info on where/how for the Bimmers is pretty thin now days.

In any case, my main question is how/where did you source/bought the parts, how did you find all the wiring diagrams, any other info that can help me start. One thing, i only doing the nav, since i already have the iDrive.

I don't want to threadjack here, so if you (or anyone else) have any suggestions feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Hmmm....I'm surprised no one has run in to this before on an e70....maybe YOU are the guinea pig! heh heh - I bet there must be someone who's done this on the newer X5...they seem very popular for mods.. (Are you xtrmdad on x5 world?)

All the wiring diagrams were found on the BMW WDS (if you don't have one, you should get it - it covers all cars.) I sourced the parts from ebay and learned the hard way to buy parts for my region (ie. U.S.) Eventually, I obtained parts from a local salvage yard with a 6-month warranty. I'm not at all familiar with the X5, but it seems that if you already have the i-drive, that retrofit should be a bit easier(?) - (BMW doesn't offer this as a factory retrofit?)

Thanks for the kudos and good luck on your endeavor!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #298
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Booster,
From your experience thus far, how easy would it be to retrofit the factory ipod/usb (6FL) option to an e90/e92 that already has i-drive? I figured with all you did, you might be able to answer this off the top of your head.

This is the one option I wish I ordered!

Also, how much did this project cost? If you factor the parts you sold, what was the net cost?

Thanks,
Gary
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #299
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Booster,
From your experience thus far, how easy would it be to retrofit the factory ipod/usb (6FL) option to an e90/e92 that already has i-drive? I figured with all you did, you might be able to answer this off the top of your head.

This is the one option I wish I ordered!

Also, how much did this project cost? If you factor the parts you sold, what was the net cost?

Thanks,
Gary
I, too, wish that I had 6FL, although it wasn't offered when my car was built (although, i-drive was...heh heh). Off the top of my head, I would say it hasn't been possible without a lot of confusion (and expense?) to say the least (nor is it related to this topic). However, there is another thread with guys with nav doing the 6FL retrofit - check this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=6fl+retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #300
azmp1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm....I'm surprised no one has run in to this before on an e70....maybe YOU are the guinea pig! heh heh - I bet there must be someone who's done this on the newer X5...they seem very popular for mods.. (Are you xtrmdad on x5 world?)

All the wiring diagrams were found on the BMW WDS (if you don't have one, you should get it - it covers all cars.) I sourced the parts from ebay and learned the hard way to buy parts for my region (ie. U.S.) Eventually, I obtained parts from a local salvage yard with a 6-month warranty. I'm not at all familiar with the X5, but it seems that if you already have the i-drive, that retrofit should be a bit easier(?) - (BMW doesn't offer this as a factory retrofit?)

Thanks for the kudos and good luck on your endeavor!
Haha, i'm not the xtrmdad on X5world, i'm azmp1 on there as well. But looks like xtrmdad is also looking to do this, i've read his posts.
I certainly don;t mind being a guinea pig on this one, just wish i can find all the info on parts...
As for the retrofit kit, someone has given me a part number for it, but i called 2 different dealers and they can;t pull it up... both saying its a bad number. I suspect this kit is for Europe only... Other then that not much luck. For the matter effect they even told me that it can't be recoded once i have all the parts since they don't have any manuals on that, which i do think is a load of c..p.
Now i suppose BMW WDS is what used to be ETKA/ETOS?

Thank you for all the advice!

Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #301
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha, i'm not the xtrmdad on X5world, i'm azmp1 on there as well. But looks like xtrmdad is also looking to do this, i've read his posts.
I certainly don;t mind being a guinea pig on this one, just wish i can find all the info on parts...
As for the retrofit kit, someone has given me a part number for it, but i called 2 different dealers and they can;t pull it up... both saying its a bad number. I suspect this kit is for Europe only... Other then that not much luck. For the matter effect they even told me that it can't be recoded once i have all the parts since they don't have any manuals on that, which i do think is a load of c..p.
Now i suppose BMW WDS is what used to be ETKA/ETOS?

Thank you for all the advice!

Alex
I'm not sure what it used to be called, but the WDS is the Wiring Diagram System - very useful for all cars!

On the E90 there was a retrofit for the Nav from Business to Professional, but it was a Europe-only thing. Even those parts for that retrofit have kind of faded away. However, there is still a codeable retrofit that can be done with Progman (even on US versions of the SSS.) I'm sure the info is out there - you can't be the first one to want to do this!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #302
azmp1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what it used to be called, but the WDS is the Wiring Diagram System - very useful for all cars!

On the E90 there was a retrofit for the Nav from Business to Professional, but it was a Europe-only thing. Even those parts for that retrofit have kind of faded away. However, there is still a codeable retrofit that can be done with Progman (even on US versions of the SSS.) I'm sure the info is out there - you can't be the first one to want to do this!
Well, that what i'm thinking, but for the life of me i can't find anything... Now, forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "there is still a codeable retrofit that can be done with Progman (even on US versions of the SSS.)"?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #303
song8062
Rep

Hi Booster4075

How did you get your voice control going in the end? I am trying to get it going as well.
I have checked ETK and it turn out a vioce activation code. I remeber you were saying that car has to be in a list which is in the DVD that from BMW. I am not sure how did you get around with this. I really want to get it working, hope you can help

Also you said you have retrofited the heated seat, I want to know if what's the part number of that panel under the CCC which has the button for heat seat.

Thanks

Last edited by song8062; 11-19-2008 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #304
scanboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Montego Blue+Black Int.

Booster4075, good work. I'm interested to know which wire you connect your navi speed sensor wire to. I'm trying find out if there's any speed sensor wire from the car that is available in the center of the dash area.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #305
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by song8062 View Post
Hi Booster4075

How did you get your voice control going in the end? I am trying to get it going as well.
I have checked ETK and it turn out a vioce activation code. I remeber you were saying that car has to be in a list which is in the DVD that from BMW. I am not sure how did you get around with this. I really want to get it working, hope you can help

Also you said you have retrofited the heated seat, I want to know if what's the part number of that panel under the CCC which has the button for heat seat.

Thanks
I got the voice control enabled in the end through BMW. A BMW dealer guy I know "ordered" it through the BMW channels and it took a couple of days. Since my car was not equipped w/Nav from the factory, my VIN was not included on the standard DVD issued by BMW to enable this feature. I'm not completely positive, but I think the part number might be: 65 83 6 976 392. This is not "ordered" through traditional part channels...its some special thing done via PUMA or other special dealer method. Evidently, this can be(and was for me) done at no-charge. YMMV.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking into the enabling code, as I thought I would never be able to get it the "proper" way through BMW and their engineering/whatever channels. I think I figured out a hack (although I have three different methods of coming to this) - none have been tested yet to see if I actually figured out what they are doing. The enabling codes are in XML and another file is a security certificate. If anyone here is a programmer, I would encourage them to look at this as well.

I have NOT retrofitted the heated seats...yet. There actually is a retrofit kit available in Europe for the E90, but its not for the sport seats (which I have) - I was thinking of ordering all of the pieces except for seat heater grids and ordering the proper grids for sport seats. There are many panels under the CCC configured for the different switch combinations, depending on the equipment (rear shade, heated seats, front PDC, etc..) This is talk for another thread!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #306
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanboy View Post
Booster4075, good work. I'm interested to know which wire you connect your navi speed sensor wire to. I'm trying find out if there's any speed sensor wire from the car that is available in the center of the dash area.
Thanks for the kudos. There is no navi speed sensor specific wire like the older Nav systems. The CCC gets this info off the bus. No special wiring required. If you are trying to just get a speed sensor signal, you may have luck at the dash cluster or obtaining a module which can pull that data off the bus.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #307
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, that what i'm thinking, but for the life of me i can't find anything... Now, forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "there is still a codeable retrofit that can be done with Progman (even on US versions of the SSS.)"?

Thanks
There is an authorized retrofit made/engineered by BMW to retrofit Navigation from "Business" to "Professional." This retrofit is only intended for Europe (or other non-US markets) as all US cars have "Professional" ("Business" was not an option in the US). This being so, to my knowledge, this programming/coding retrofit software is available on US versions of Progman/SSS, even though these retrofits were never intended to be performed here.

Attached are the install instructions for this retrofit...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf e90 nav pro retrofit.pdf (775.6 KB, 1160 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #308
song8062
Rep

Quote:
I got the voice control enabled in the end through BMW. A BMW dealer guy I know "ordered" it through the BMW channels and it took a couple of days. Since my car was not equipped w/Nav from the factory, my VIN was not included on the standard DVD issued by BMW to enable this feature. I'm not completely positive, but I think the part number might be: 65 83 6 976 392. This is not "ordered" through traditional part channels...its some special thing done via PUMA or other special dealer method. Evidently, this can be(and was for me) done at no-charge. YMMV.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking into the enabling code, as I thought I would never be able to get it the "proper" way through BMW and their engineering/whatever channels. I think I figured out a hack (although I have three different methods of coming to this) - none have been tested yet to see if I actually figured out what they are doing. The enabling codes are in XML and another file is a security certificate. If anyone here is a programmer, I would encourage them to look at this as well.

I have NOT retrofitted the heated seats...yet. There actually is a retrofit kit available in Europe for the E90, but its not for the sport seats (which I have) - I was thinking of ordering all of the pieces except for seat heater grids and ordering the proper grids for sport seats. There are many panels under the CCC configured for the different switch combinations, depending on the equipment (rear shade, heated seats, front PDC, etc..) This is talk for another thread!

Thanks for this information, it does help alot. You said you have ordered something via BMW? Do you mean voice enable code (a disk which has all the vin that was built with pro nav?)? but you said your car vin is not in the disk, so how does this enable code (or disk) work for you? or do you mean the part that BMW guy helped you to oder was not the enable code (normal enable code disk), it's something special which can eable vioce control on any car?

I am a computer system engineer, I know some programming and xml, where can you see them? how can I obtain the xml file and even I can modify it how can it be loaded on to CCC?

Sorry about too many questions, I just need to understand how does this voice control enable works.
Appreciate 0