E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Broken brake wear sensor?

10-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
g_rant
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Broken brake wear sensor?

Well apparently my brake wear sensor broke. I\'m not entirely sure if I\'m referring to the correct part though. It\'s the part that connects to the calipers/pads. I was wondering if that was replaceable and where I can get the part.
      10-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

it is replaceable. tischer bmw sells the part as does many other places. there is one up front on the left and one on the rear right. if you have done brakes before it isnt too difficult, one end snaps into the brake pad itself and the other end runs under the fender liner into a connecter.

i am assuming you know yours broke because a light is on your dash. you may have to follow a procedure to clear that light, when you do it may also end up resetting your CBS countdown for your brakes (the car will assume you put new brake pads in).

just wondering, are you sure it's broke and not some other problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
g_rant
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I double checked and it is broken. It's the rear brake sensor. Like half of the clip is missing. I'll post pics later tonight.
      10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Resurrecting and old thread because I suspect I have this problem!

Stupid agents didn't bother to apply any any-squeal grease at the beginning of this year when the car was in for servicing - they replaced brake pads all around and the rear disks. After a short while I was noticing a slight squeal at low speeds when coming to a stop, this has been slowly getting a bit worse and today it was particularly bad - it was eventually squealing almost all the time when slowing to a stop, and even at normal town driving speeds!

So decided to DIY and sort this out - car up, wheels off, callipers off, pads out and backs cleaned with copper grease applied afterwards. Reassembled and as I inserted the key fob I was greeted with the red car on a lift symbol followed by a permanent explanation mark and the handbrake (ABS) light on even with the handbrake down. Otherwise everything seemed fine so went for a short drive hoping that this might clear (wishful thinking) while on the go.

Now I did battle for a while to get the front brake wear sensor off and suspected that I may have damaged its wires. Knowing what to expect I didn't battle with the rear sensor but the copper clip that goes around its end that goes onto the pad stayed on the pad instead of on the sensor's end, so not sure if that is also then stuffed! The service info still shows my front and rear brakes as having around 38k km left, so all I can think is that the broken sensor is resulting in these error messages.

Do I simply replace the wear sensors and it sorts itself out, or do I still have to reset the service info for the brakes?

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Well, no replies (often the case), but managed to come right with this. Replaced the front brake sensor which I suspected to be the problem and errors no more - rear sensor is still fine so left as is and have a spare...

Appreciate 0