E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Insured Warranty

06-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

I didn't have to pay a diagnostics fee the last warranty work I had done. In fact, they had the car for 3 days just to diagnose the gearbox problem due to updates required, extensive road tests etc. Torque converter eventually replaced but a thoroughly excellent service all round. Had a courtesy car and eventually mondial organised a hire car and always felt they were on my side.

I won't be looking at any other warranty companies based on this level of service.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #24
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Really, I thought this was common practice. I've just had to take my car in to my local dealer for a second time for some warranty work (car won't start) and each time I have been told that there is a £140 odd diagnostic fee which I don't pay if the fault turns out to be covered under warranty but if it isn't, then I have to stump up. Is this not right?
I too have BMW extended warranty and was told this when I enquired about a hypothetical situation, there would be £130 diagnostic fee to investigate. Should that fault be covered under warranty then I would not have to pay. If its not covered under the warranty then wave goodbye to the £130 regardless I get the work carried out at BMW or not.

In my case I would end up having to pay extra as I have a £250 excess with the policy. I am seriously considering whether to continue my BMW extended warranty. I have had the policy for about 6 months (touch wood) nothing majour has gone wrong. Things that have gone wrong are either not covered by the warranty or I could get it replaced under £250 (more the latter)

You may be wondering why I took out the policy in the first place and 2 things - turbos and the auto box. From what I have been told these tend to be bullet proof as not many have gone on the 335D's. But I still have a niggling thought in the back of my mind should either of these go wrong I am looking at 4 figures for replacemnt and fitting.

I will be deciding in a few months time whether to carry on with the policy
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Really, I thought this was common practice. I've just had to take my car in to my local dealer for a second time for some warranty work (car won't start) and each time I have been told that there is a £140 odd diagnostic fee which I don't pay if the fault turns out to be covered under warranty but if it isn't, then I have to stump up. Is this not right?
hmmm...don't think its fair on the customer...a good service advisor should be able to tell "roughly" if its likely to be covered or not....

they 're becoming like plumbers now, charging "call out charges!", wether you repair it or not...its £70....lol....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #26
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
hmmm...don't think its fair on the customer...a good service advisor should be able to tell "roughly" if its likely to be covered or not....

they 're becoming like plumbers now, charging "call out charges!", wether you repair it or not...its £70....lol....
I suppose they do it for a bit of ar*e covering but it still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. To be fair I don't think my local dealer is that great. From the accounts I have read on here, others have got much better service elsewhere so I may have to look further afield for my servicing\warranty work. It's a shame as it's where I bought the car and the sales team guys were spot on.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #27
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I suppose they do it for a bit of ar*e covering but it still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. To be fair I don't think my local dealer is that great. From the accounts I have read on here, others have got much better service elsewhere so I may have to look further afield for my servicing\warranty work. It's a shame as it's where I bought the car and the sales team guys were spot on.
which dealership do you use mate?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #28
NickP
Detailing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I too have BMW extended warranty and was told this when I enquired about a hypothetical situation, there would be £130 diagnostic fee to investigate. Should that fault be covered under warranty then I would not have to pay. If its not covered under the warranty then wave goodbye to the £130 regardless I get the work carried out at BMW or not.

In my case I would end up having to pay extra as I have a £250 excess with the policy. I am seriously considering whether to continue my BMW extended warranty. I have had the policy for about 6 months (touch wood) nothing majour has gone wrong. Things that have gone wrong are either not covered by the warranty or I could get it replaced under £250 (more the latter)

You may be wondering why I took out the policy in the first place and 2 things - turbos and the auto box. From what I have been told these tend to be bullet proof as not many have gone on the 335D's. But I still have a niggling thought in the back of my mind should either of these go wrong I am looking at 4 figures for replacemnt and fitting.

I will be deciding in a few months time whether to carry on with the policy
I did the same with a £250 excess, and was seriously considering whether to renew or not as I haven't had any problems whatsoever since buying the car 2 years ago, but seeing as my CCC seems to have gone kaput just before the warranty was about to expire, then I think I'll be renewing again for peace of mind...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #29
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
That's certainly been the case where I've paid the diagnosis fee in the past,although £140.00 seems very excessive.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #30
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
which dealership do you use mate?
I've mentioned them before, a large delearship group who share their name with a six sided shape based in Highgate, North London.

I also have a Stephen James not too far from me but by all accounts they aren't much better. Just a shame that you seem to have to play the "dealership lotto" game in order to find one with decent service.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

My AUC warranty renewal for my 335i came in the post last week, went straight into the bin...if I had any confidence in my local BMW dealer I might have considered it, but since I don't, didn't ever bother looking at the quote. I've also modded my 335 quite a bit, and can see how BMW can get out of not paying for anything (which is fair enough since I've stuck things on the car which pushes the performance beyond what BMW designed it for).

Just got my car back from the local independent garage 1 mile from my house, just had oil service/air filter/spark plug change..paid less than £300 in total (if I don't count the dyno run..got 320bhp at the wheels but the printer wasn't working so no print outs )

For those people who have been unlucky, and have needed major things changing on the car the warranty makes financial sense, but you also have to remember overall the extended warranty scheme must make money for someone...BMW/Mondial aren't offering it because they care about your car

I have a "car" fund which I put something into every month in case things go wrong...only problem is every time it gets to 4 figures I go and blow it on another mod
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #32
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
If I had any confidence in my local BMW dealer I might have considered it, but since I don't, didn't ever bother looking at the quote.
This is the one an only reason why I might not renew the warranty come renewal time. My local dealer just doesn't inspire confidence that they are on my side, otherwise it would be a no brainer for me as my car isn't modded.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Last year i had some minor issues but in total came to about £650

Initially they tried to wriggle out of the work, as they do, the car clearly had a mechanical problem but as there was piping included at some point they said they dont cover piping.

Anyway, eventually got it covered, there was also a diagnostics charge if no fault found.

This year i renewed but with excess. I'm of the opinion that if its anything to do with trim, headlight washer plates, or other minor things just DIY or find a good indie.

I have the warranty as a back up if anything major goes like turbos, injectors, fuel pump/system etc. I just think its too expensive if anything goes and it costs me £268 a year which suits me 100%.
Appreciate 0