E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > F30 Performance Knob Install

09-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

F30 Performance Knob Install

Finally got my F30 performance knob in today, so I went right ahead and began installing it. Firstly, I must say its a very beautiful peace. Its well weighted, and feels good in your hands. I was tempted to go to Wal-Mart and weigh my original M-Sport knob and the new performance knob to see which one weighed more, if at all. My senses tell me that despite being smaller, the performance knob weighs more. There's less hollow space in the performance knob in comparison to the M-Sport knob so when you shift, it feels more solid.

I will say that because the performance knob is considerably smaller than the M-Sport knob, it will take a bit to get used to the size and feel of it. And for those that don't want to hassle with swapping the leather boot for the alcantara boot, I will say the knob looks perfectly fine with the leather boot. I plan to keep my leather boot since the center dash will eventually be wrapped in alcantara anyways. For those of you that do want to swap in the alcantara trim boot for the leather one, I can say that based on looking at both of the boot's bottom frame, it would not be hard at all to salvage the boot frame from an e9x and place the alcantara over it. If you look at the pictures below, you can see that in the boot comparison, both boots are pretty much the same size, so fitting the alcantara on the leather boot frame wouldn't be hard.

Here are some pictures.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
james008
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335i

I tried swapping the f30 boot to my e92 ring and it was a no go. White stitch was too close and the e92 ring was too big, seemed close and I tried to make it work for two days but I couldn't get it to fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Is that illuminated? Looks really nice.... can it be purchased w/o boot? Approx how much?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

its not illuminated. It just has very clean looking white face.

Yeah, I believe the knob can be purchased by itself.
Appreciate 0