E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Forge DV service

01-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Forge DV service

Hi all

I have had my DVs out many times , cleaned and oiled with carb oil like recommended.

My claim is that oil used is critical. My valves is sticky operation on.

I made a video that is in progress to be published , it shows how valve operates when applied vacuum to , how I serviced them and after how smooth they operate with new kind of oil , a thicker , much thicker type oil.

My valves needed a lot of vacuum before they started moving , and did not return properly always.

Now they start with much less vacuum applied and return properly.

Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor

Last edited by tinnsoldaten; 01-27-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Updated!
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

That's pretty interesting stuff.

Mine have been kind of inconsistent once in a while...not opening/closing at the same time.

Forge recommends a mobil 1 high temperature synthetic grease for lubrication.

What exactly were you doing with the sandpaper ? Sanding the O-ring?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
when I get my Forge DVs maybe you can service mine for me. Im scared to touch my car lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
That's pretty interesting stuff.

Mine have been kind of inconsistent once in a while...not opening/closing at the same time.

Forge recommends a mobil 1 high temperature synthetic grease for lubrication.

What exactly were you doing with the sandpaper ? Sanding the O-ring?
Yeah , sanding them , not sure if they tend to swell up over time.
Maybe just the change of lubrication did the trick.

Id like to think both helped a little.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Gugs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 JetBlack

Really? whosands orings?

So your mentality was that the oring expanded from the saturation of Oil and you thought sanding it was going to solve that?

The only thing that happens to orings is they become flat instead of round.

Get new orings since you ruined the old ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugs View Post
Really? whosands orings?

So your mentality was that the oring expanded from the saturation of Oil and you thought sanding it was going to solve that?

The only thing that happens to orings is they become flat instead of round.

Get new orings since you ruined the old ones.
Relax , I didnt sand them that much , they are still round. And DVs are equally functioning like they should now.

Yes , sanding them might not be any point , but sanding that little should not make any negative result on the O-rings , I only used 800 paper. You can see in my video that valve is operating when vacuum is applied. If I ruined anything they would not hold vacuum.

And new O-rings from Forge is 10$ with new piston . And I only need O-rings , they are 2$.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
NivMan
Banned
India
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

In my experience, using anything other than Mobil 1 synthetic grease (the red colored stuff) causes the O-rings to swell up and the piston to stick.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Laugh all you want , but my lube for the DVs now is same stuff used on my prosthetic leg , its expensive stuff and comes in a fancy dispenser. CentraLube is the name.

I will order me some new o-rings and get the Mobil 1 grease for next service.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Forge DVs aren't worth all that hassle. Stock DVs hold boost just fine up to RB turbo power levels.
      01-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Forge DVs aren't worth all that hassle. Stock DVs hold boost just fine up to RB turbo power levels.
Yes they are ... just need proper lube. Thats no hassle
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Yeah....I found the stockers held boost just fine.

But the yellow forge springs are a little stiffer, so they feel like they hold boost in the chargepipe a bit longer before cracking open as compared to stockers.

Don't know if thats necessarily a good thing but part throttle feels a little crisper.

Full throttle = no difference from stock DV's.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #13
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Yeah....I found the stockers held boost just fine.

But the yellow forge springs are a little stiffer, so they feel like they hold boost in the chargepipe a bit longer before cracking open as compared to stockers.

Don't know if thats necessarily a good thing but part throttle feels a little crisper.

Full throttle = no difference from stock DV's.
Throttle modulation is the gain with Forge DVs over stockers. Stiffer springs more play on throttle before boost is bled from CP.

That is what I have understood in regards to aftermarket DVs vs Stock and use of different springs.

And that holding pressure in CP is not damaging the turbos , that happens only if ongoing for long periods. And when you let your foot off the throttle in most cases pressure in CP is bled out thru DVs. If I understand this correct.
Appreciate 0