E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help please?! Audio works intermittently

06-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
swc945
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Help please?! Audio works intermittently

Hi All,

3 days ago, I started noticing some issues with my audio.

On the first day, I was simply driving along, and the music stopped playing for only about 2 seconds, and then it continued to play normally for the rest of my journey. I assumed the CD skipped and didn't think much more of it.

The following day, I was driving along the same route, and the music stopped playing again for about 2 seconds. But on this occasion, it occurred about 3-4 times - this time it caught my attention a little more.

And the worst part of this experience, I went for a 3 hour drive on the weekend, and the music practically didn't play for the whole drive. The music works for 5 second, then turns off for 10 seconds, turns on again for 2 seconds, turns off for 2 seconds, turns on for 2 seconds, turns off for 30 seconds, etc.... there doesn't seem to be any consistent patterns anymore.

Today, I've just noticed for the first time that the option to select from the CD Changer (ie. CD1, CD2, CD3 etc) continuously alternate from being available and not available to select. Its a bit hard to explain, so I recorded this video - please note, the audio recorded on this video is what I've been putting up with over the past 3-4 days now!
http://youtu.be/GNb3App63HY

So...
I was hoping that someone on here could help me with some advice/suggestions.
What should I try to look for to pinpoint what the problem is?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Some background information:
I have a 2006 325i E92 Coupe (Australian delivered)
Base audio system (4 speakers + 2 under-seat subs) - from my research on this forum, no amps in this system.
factory 6-CD changer mounted in the boot.
With the 8" Pro Navigation (DVD based system)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Calibur
nooooob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TiAg

I don't often post around here, but I've seen a few threads with similar problems.

Has it been raining lately ?? :P

I would get into your boot/trunk area and remove the left plastic cover that is over the CD/Amp area and look down in there and see if you have water that has leaked in and is causing a short.

I had some water leak into mine and it was causing my one of my left speakers to crack and short, had to dry it out and clean the connection and it started working again.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
swc945
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibur View Post
I don't often post around here, but I've seen a few threads with similar problems.

Has it been raining lately ?? :P

I would get into your boot/trunk area and remove the left plastic cover that is over the CD/Amp area and look down in there and see if you have water that has leaked in and is causing a short.

I had some water leak into mine and it was causing my one of my left speakers to crack and short, had to dry it out and clean the connection and it started working again.
Hi,
I found all those threads already, and have checked.
Can't find any moisture, and this is a problem that affects all speakers - no sounds at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Calibur
nooooob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TiAg

I tried .....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
swc945
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibur View Post
I tried .....
Oh, don't get me wrong, I still appreciate it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Check the battery first.

Check the battery first.
If your car has an IBS system when the battery is low it can turn
things off in order to keep the car running.

http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf

If it's and 06 and has never had a battery change its likely you need a new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
swc945
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Check the battery first.
If your car has an IBS system when the battery is low it can turn
things off in order to keep the car running.

http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf

If it's and 06 and has never had a battery change its likely you need a new one.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I had never heard of the IBS system before...

I popped into an Auto Electrician to get my car battery tested today. Here are the results:
Voltage: 12.56V
State of Charge: 96%
Battery Temperature: 22C/71F
Capacity Test: Fail
Battery Life: 0%
Capacity: 261A
Recommendation: Replace Now

So the technician guy told me that my battery rating is 570A. But is only at 261A now which is way low and in need of replacing. He couldn't guarantee that it would fix my audio issues, but should help as my battery needs replacing anyway. Does this sound right?

I didn't have any spare time to replace the battery today, but will do so tomorrow.
Fingers crossed, its only the battery and not any other random problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If the battery is a at 12.56 volts it should be good.

If the battery is a at 12.56 volts it should be good.
If the battery is bad it won't hold that high of voltage.
Also there is a glass eye on the stock battery's that indicate there condition.

Those amp ratings sound high to me. I look at amp hour ratings when buying but can't argue with the tests.
a battery but don't measure them. People on these forums are averaging
about 6 years max out of there battery's.
A BMW code reader or coding setup that can read the BMW codes may tell you more.
Do not use battery back up devices when changing the battery on this car , fuses will be blown if you do.
There is not that much that gets lost anyway like the trip computer data and the time.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-19-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
bigfy39
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 328ci

OP, did you ever get this resolved? Was it the battery?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #10
swc945
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfy39 View Post
OP, did you ever get this resolved? Was it the battery?
Oh, forgot to update...

So i got the battery replaced at the advice of the auto electrician. But it didnt resolve the audio issues - AU$245.

So i took the car to an independent BMW service centre (Euro Motorsport in Clayton VIC, just in case anyone from Melbourne, Australia was interested).
They plugged up the computer to the car and disgnosed that the problem was in fact the Bluetooth unit, plus possibly thr CD changer too - $1400 for parts, fitting and programming.

In the end, it was only the Bluetooth unit that was replaced, and no more audio issues. I was charged $900 instead of the quoted price of $1400 as the CD changer was not required. Glad that these guys were honest and didnt just charge me for something that they didnt do... But i still wasnt excited to part with $900 either.

My problem now tho, is that i cant seem to bring up any phonebook info in my car. So im going to have to go back and get them to rectify that part. But at least i have some music to listen to!
Appreciate 0