E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How much time left?

12-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
luiscarlos59
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

How much time left?

My car has started to show the "Low battery charge!" sign on the display. It happens every time I turn off the car. My car is a 2009 with 32kms so I assume it needs a new battery.

Based on your experience how much time I have left until the battery completely dies?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Since it is beginning of winter, it will probably be dead on the first sub-0 (sub-32f) week-end when you don't drive the car. If that had happened in march, it could have lasted you until next november probably.

But anyway, order a replacement now, and get it done sooner than later. The onboard computer does weird things when the battery is weak, and the electric water pump and random airbag sensors have a tendency to die soon after battery issues (the causality is not conclusive, but since you have to change the battery anyway in the end, why even take the chance with these expensive parts?)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

2009 sounds a bit soon to need a battery. Has the cable recall been done? And have the alternator and IBS been checked out? It as an intermittently bad IBS which gave me the Low Battery messages within one minute of shutting the engine off.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
2009 sounds a bit soon to need a battery. Has the cable recall been done? And have the alternator and IBS been checked out? It as an intermittently bad IBS which gave me the Low Battery messages within one minute of shutting the engine off.

Tom
It does seem a bit "soon"! My car's battery lasted freakishly long at roughly 8 years, but had to eventually replace it a few months back - didn't want to risk having a completely failed battery and since my Ctek charger only just about keeping it charged it was only going to get worse and quickly!

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
luiscarlos59
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

I have read in other posts that aprox 3-4yrs of use is a normal time to replace batteries. Now I'm confused then I should get the battery power tested to see how much it has left.

Quick question, I found on this forum that the oem has 92 AH and the dealer is quoting me a 80AH. Is there any difference?
Appreciate 0