E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Brake Pads reset

10-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Brake Pads reset

Hi Guys,

On trying to reset my Service interval, which kept coming up, although the service is not due and was only done in June this year, i went through the reset procedure, Pressing small button on dash, service menu comes up select the one you want and press BC to reset......so on and so on!

In doing this somehow my rear brake pads are now coming up as REPLACE. I have tried the reset procedure on the pads and it goes through the reset procedure, (Clock spinning round) but still the warning is present and i can't reset it!

Before anyone asks i have checked rear pads and they are new in the last service (June) and there is loads of meat on them.

Can anyone please help as the annoying reminder everytime i start up or shut down and the Brake light is on constantly.

Thank you

Steve
      10-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Hi Guys,

On trying to reset my Service interval, which kept coming up, although the service is not due and was only done in June this year, i went through the reset procedure, Pressing small button on dash, service menu comes up select the one you want and press BC to reset......so on and so on!

In doing this somehow my rear brake pads are now coming up as REPLACE. I have tried the reset procedure on the pads and it goes through the reset procedure, (Clock spinning round) but still the warning is present and i can't reset it!

Before anyone asks i have checked rear pads and they are new in the last service (June) and there is loads of meat on them.

Can anyone please help as the annoying reminder everytime i start up or shut down and the Brake light is on constantly.

Thank you

Steve
Were the wear sensors replaced along with the pads?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Not Sure these where done before i bought the car. Just seems funny as i was trying to reset service interval this morning, that still failed, but then up pops the Rear Disc warning error. It was not showing before i tried to reset service interval.

Now i have 2 warning in the iDrive, Brakes and Service due (Which i know not to be true, as service was done just before i bought the car).

10-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
That would be my question as well. If the wear sensors are reporting that the pads are expired then that's what the system will believe.
      10-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Hmmmmm, i'll get them checked out, but still seems strange that the Brake Pad warning came on when is was "Playing" with the service interval reset (Which also did not work!)
      10-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Reset the service interval as that should not be a problem.

If you accidentally pressed or tried to reset the brakes, it will generate error.
Solution is new wear sensor. Get it fitted and then reset.
      10-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

If you accidentally pressed or tried to reset the brakes, it will generate error.
Hi Sam,

I did have my foot on the brake pedal as i was doing the reset? DOH!
      10-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Hi Sam,

I did have my foot on the brake pedal as i was doing the reset? DOH!
Indeed no software will help you.

If you really want the warning to go without changing the sensor you can cut the sensor off the cable and join the 2 wires in the cable together. You can then reset via the on board computer.

But since the sensors are so cheap just replace it. 5 minutes job.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Indeed no software will help you.

If you really want the warning to go without changing the sensor you can cut the sensor off the cable and join the 2 wires in the cable together. You can then reset via the on board computer.

But since the sensors are so cheap just replace it. 5 minutes job.
Yet another lesson learnt in the E90 World.

to Makkan and Sensible
      10-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Hmmmmm,

seems it was not the sensor, changed that, might as well change the pads whilst wheel and everything was off, so changed both rears. Still could not reset brake warning, so took to BMW indie.

He has just rang to say he has had to "Reset the Software" by disconnecting battery , resetting Service software, as the brake reset had reached too many changes????

Anyone comment on this repair.?

All alarms now gone but i have to gaps in the service menu. They are all ticked green and when i highlight one of the gaps and press the idrive to select it it just give me a read out that i should change is at next service date. It gives the date. So what am i missing? and why are they missing.

I have:

Brake Fluid OK
Engine oil OK
GAP OK
Vehicle Check OK
Front Brake Pads OK
Rear Brake Pads OK
GAP OK