E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Boot release not working...

03-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Boot release not working...

Hi all, just need a quick bit of input before I call the stealer/an indy.

Symptoms: Neither the remote fob or the boot handle will release the boot lock. Using the remote I can't hear the clicking of the lock mechanism moving so it's definitely dead. Also, locking the car no longer dead locks nor does it activate the alarm (the lights don't flash) and on driving I get the annoying "Boot open" bong every few minutes. I've check fuse 61 (which I believe is the correct one) and it's still good. Also I believe this fuse covers the glove box light and that's working.

I know our american cousins get the valet switch in the glovebox where as mine doesn't, so it's not that.

I can open the boot with the key inside the fob using the boot release above the number plate.

Nothing has changed in the car, the boot operated perfectly last night when I got home, worked perfectly this morning when I opened it to put my bags in. The first thing I noticed was as I drove off... "Bong!, Boot open" and I'm stuck with the above symptoms.

Any Ideas?

TIA

P.S. It's an '06 car.
      03-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Sounds about right.
Have a look at the boot light switch.
It sounds as though this has stuck in the on position, so the car looks at the boot and sees it open, so the opening function won't work as the car thinks it's not necessary. Likewise with the locking, the car thinks the boot is open, so won't set the alarm or deadlock.

Don't know where the switch is though! (Next to the latch, next to the catch in the lid or next to one of the boot hinges??)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. That wasn't it but you got me thinking! First of all the boot light wasn't on. So I'd assumed you were actually right, but it was a little bit more complex than that.

Basically the car remembers what "state" the boot is in. For whatever reason this morning it had bounced and the car thought it was open when in fact it was locked. So, no amount of unlocking when it thought it was already unlocked was going to make it change it's mind.

What I did to fix it was quite simple. Opened the car. Opened the boot using the key. Locked the car (the boot should now be in the locked "state") and slammed the boot shut.

It now works perfectly, car deadlocks, boot light works and no more BONG! BONG! BONG!

03-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Result!!

No cost too. Unusual for a BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Result!!

No cost too. Unusual for a BMW
As another poster once said...
"The BMW BONG of expense"

04-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
poshparts
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Same problem here....help please

Hi all,

I am having the exact same problem with my e90 2006 330d. I actually followed the method mentioned and opened the boot on the key and then locked the car and then slammed the boot shut. The first time I did it it worked perfectly. Then after celebrating I tried to open the car boot again and no luck.

Please help as the car is booked in at BMW next week but would love to save the £££££££.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Antony
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
poshparts
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Bump. Anyone help please. Really trying to sort a solution as its very annoying. Boot light is out so I do think the boot thinks it is locked, although the car thinks its open.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
Hi mate. A few months too late to save your expense I am guessing, but I now have the exact same problem with my 2006 e90 325i. I have whittled it down to either the same issue as this thread, or a wire in the loom going to the bootlid that has split or cracked insulation, creating a short. I removed fuse 61, which disabled the glovebox and boot light, but the car still tells me that the boot is open, so it mustn't be to do with the actual light. Wiggling the loom a little has a funny effect on the light, so this is what leads me to believe that it is a short circuit of some kind being caused by a faulty wire in the loom. Will update when I've had it out to check...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Problem located

Well I managed to strip back the grommet thing and inspect the wires properly, and this is what I found :/ I'm going to email it to BMW and ask them for their recommendation...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
logic1980
Rep
Drives: 320d

bringing this back to life - iv got the issue of the boot release not working - the boot interior light aint working, but also near side fog light isnt either.

i tried unlocking the car, then the boot with the key and looking the car, then shutting the boot. but it didnt work.

car is also resetting the clock and the current distance on the dash -

need to check the cables aint damaged and the fuses but any other ideas why this could be happening?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #11
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Following on from my last post... I sent the pics and full description of the fault over to my local BMW dealer, along with all the troubleshooting I'd done, and their response was...

"You need to bring it into BMW and pay a standard £99 charge for them to diagnose the fault", despite having already located it myself.

They refuse point blank to provide any information about the parts needed or resolution instructions without this diagnosis being carried out. Needless to say, I now consider them complete and utter w*nkers.

As there was no cause to this other than opening and closing the boot, I also suggested that the materials used weren't up to the job, and questioned how this is not a much more common fault. Naturally they denied any such fault as being commonplace, despite me being able to reference several sources online to indicate that it is by no means a one-off.

Such w*nkerageness at dealer level seriously puts me off buying another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
logic1980
Rep

hey chadm - was the broken wires obvious when you pulled the grommet away from the body - iv looked at mine tonight and did not see any obvious signs of wire damage -

im at a total loss - fuse is ok - but one fog lamp is out and now i think even the number plate lights are out as well as boot interior light

does sound like a local harness issue mind as they are all only separate circuits
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yes, there was visible evidence because two of the wires had completely broken, roughly in the middle of the grommet bit of the loom, but on four of them it was much less visible because only the insulation had cracked and the copper wires were still in tact. I would advise to make sure you check very closely along the full length of that bit as it might not be in the middle of where it flexes. It's a nightmare cos the grommet is a tight b*stard and they've wrapped the loom as well. When it happened on mine the boot release and interior light stopped working because the sensor wire to tell the car that the boot is open was one of the ones that had gone. Mine was also draining the battery as a result, slowly enough that if you started it daily it was ok, but any longer and it wouldn't start. And that drain didn't kill any fuses. If a wire was rubbing on the bodywork somewhere else I might expect the short from that to at least be draining the battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:14 AM   #14
logic1980
Rep

think i will need another look as at first glance nothing seemed obviously wrong. thing is on looking last night the issues are as follows

boot release not working
near side fog light not working
near side reverse light not working
Number plate lights not working
interior boot light not working
after the car is off for a while the clock, trip comp and current distance all reset (although radio stations dont)

now all these are on different circuits but they all rin into the boot lid harness so it does seem that something has gone wrong in that loom
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
XLNC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Very common fault this fault also occurred on the older 5 series, opening closing the boot over time bends the wires in side the grommet, then it breaks even removing the grommet does not show the break sometimes, if your boot light is also out chances you have a break, just pop down to any good auto electrician and point at the grommet they will test within few mins.

-------------330i M Sport----------------
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
logic1980
Rep

Ok update - so i have seen that there are bulbs in the inner rear left cluster but they dont work - the boot release dont work and the boot interior light dont work. i checked there is voltage at these and there are - which is good but when checking the resistance on from the earths it showed there lies the fault - now i checked the harness where it passes through the body and into the boot lid and there is no damage so this leads me to think a faulty earthing point as all these circuits earth at the rear right side.

Question is does anyone know where the rear right (E19) earthing point is - or had any issues similar to this.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #17
logic1980
Rep

Ok full update but I finally found the issue after a lot of inspection and I should have listened to those in the know as it turned out to be a broken farthing wire inside the rubber boot from body to boot lid.

Should have known. Simple fix and all back to normal
Appreciate 0