E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

10-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #4203
aren93
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport

I have an issue with the exhaust burble. So it was working great when I had the jb4 Bef with my vrsf catback exhaust. Then I removed the Jb4 and the catback, went flash only with mhd and ever since then the burble isnt working. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #4204
WeekendWarriorz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren93 View Post
I have an issue with the exhaust burble. So it was working great when I had the jb4 Bef with my vrsf catback exhaust. Then I removed the Jb4 and the catback, went flash only with mhd and ever since then the burble isnt working. Any thoughts?
the catback makes the burbles so quiet...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #4205
Twisted Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren93 View Post
Willing to bet the Stock catback is why you can barely hear it if at all.
www.twistedtuning.com
www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
twistedtuned@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #4206
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post
with cold start enabled, its takes several drive cycles sometimes for the car to adapt. So some rough idles in the beginning, or even stalling can happen the first couple drives.
I bench flashed my car yesterday and have not yet loaded MHD, but I am experiencing the same issue where my car rough idles on cold start (even stalled this morning when backing up). Everything runs fine after the cold start finishes. Im assuming this is normal just like after updating a map?
      10-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #4207
MHD Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Germany
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i ## 2017 M2

MHD update 1.23

- Small user interface improvements
- Eco coolant set to normal coolant for sport / track modes.
- Added Monitor on app start up option.
- Autolog pedal threshold increased from 50 to 70%.
- Logging is stopped/resumed when the app goes to the background/foreground.
- For DME swaps, VIN is checked against the CAS module so licenses remain valid.
- Modified the N20 sensor setting to match the F80 OEM settings.
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MHDtuning/
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #4208
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I added the JB4 BEF last night and am loving the more linear throttle feel. Will for sure be trying out one of the OTS maps soon for comparison.

I selected a few options before flashing including cold start noise reduction and exhaust burbles. The cold start option is definitely working, however the exhaust burbles seem to be nonexistent. I have the normal duration set to 0 seconds and sport to 4 seconds. I almost exclusively use the car in sport manual mode. Any ideas?
      10-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #4209
ihazvtak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
I added the JB4 BEF last night and am loving the more linear throttle feel. Will for sure be trying out one of the OTS maps soon for comparison.

I selected a few options before flashing including cold start noise reduction and exhaust burbles. The cold start option is definitely working, however the exhaust burbles seem to be nonexistent. I have the normal duration set to 0 seconds and sport to 4 seconds. I almost exclusively use the car in sport manual mode. Any ideas?
Burble is going to be super quiet until they implement an "aggressive" slide bar like the N54 guys
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #4210
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihazvtak View Post
Burble is going to be super quiet until they implement an "aggressive" slide bar like the N54 guys
Update:

Apparently the normal/sport function does not work on a BEF. Only setting that works is the normal burble duration which changes the burble for all modes (sport or drive)

Last edited by Toome; 10-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #4211
fiekie135i
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 12'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihazvtak View Post
We really need this, it is the only way mhd on N55 will sound close to as great as PPK burble does. why is it not implemented for us? I am sure most guys would even pay for the burble intensity setting on N55 as N54 has it already
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #4212
katatonia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiekie135i View Post
We really need this, it is the only way mhd on N55 will sound close to as great as PPK burble does. why is it not implemented for us? I am sure most guys would even pay for the burble intensity setting on N55 as N54 has it already
Yeah, I'm checking this thread every day for this update. I'd even pay extra. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #4213
AJL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Dang, idk why so many people have problems with the burbles being too quiet. Mine are loud as s**t. Sounds like gunshots sometimes when downshifting.
This is with the stock catback, VRSF DP & xHP Stage 3, mind you.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #4214
NRigs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Dang, idk why so many people have problems with the burbles being too quiet. Mine are loud as s**t. Sounds like gunshots sometimes when downshifting.
Same here. VRSF DP, xHP stage 3, stock catback. Gunshots downshifting into 3rd, 2nd and 1st at higher rpms.
I am not sure I would want it any louder.
      10-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #4215
Hannibal4444
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55--E93 6MT

Mine got quiet with enabled cold start delete. This is with cat less and stock catback.

Not sure if the ecu was supposed to adapt to the cold start delete, but I disabled it and I have nice burbles again.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #4216
rich_mane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

My burbles are really hit and miss. Sometimes gunshots even at low RPMs, other times hardly much noise at all. One correlation I think I've made is that when I'm lightly leaning on the throttle, and only slightly building boost, then letting off, that's when my pops are more aggressive... yet when I mash the throttle and let off after, they seem to be quieter.
Not exactly sure how it all works, but the only connection I could make is that my motor likes to cut throttle because it tends to overboost on the spool. Maybe when mashing the throttle, and getting the overboost and throttle cut, that's reducing the overall power of the burble. I would imagine that's why some cars are stupid loud (they don't tend to overboost and cut throttle.) But I really have no basis for this claim besides my own observations.

AA 4" catless DP for me, stock catback.

Last edited by rich_mane; 10-11-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:56 AM   #4217
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
My burbles are really hit and miss. Sometimes gunshots even at low RPMs, other times hardly much noise at all. One correlation I think I've made is that when I'm lightly leaning on the throttle, and only slightly building boost, then letting off, that's when my pops are more aggressive... yet when I mash the throttle and let off after, they seem to be quieter.
Not exactly sure how it all works, but the only connection I could make is that my motor likes to cut throttle because it tends to overboost on the spool. Maybe when mashing the throttle, and getting the overboost and throttle cut, that's reducing the overall power of the burble. I would imagine that's why some cars are stupid loud (they don't tend to overboost and cut throttle.) But I really have no basis for this claim besides my own observations.

AA 4" catless DP for me, stock catback.
I think having an xHp/Alpina flash does make a difference because of the more aggressive throttle blips on downshifts.

I have a catless downpipe and stock catback as well (CAN Flaps are opened with the JB4 as well). To get the loudest pops I do the following:
- Accelerate in second gear slowly adding throttle until about 3.5-4k RPM
- At about half throttle I quickly let off the accelerator, wait a split second and downshift to first

If you time it properly the burbles will sound like gun shots. Hopefully MHD will add the burble intensity option soon, so they'll be even louder.
      10-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #4218
maddmatth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MSport DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
I just got my car back. On stock map the disconnected secondary O2 causes fault code 2D11 and the check engine light on the dash comes on.
I flashed MHD, just using my stock bin, and took the car for a drive.
The 2D11 code is still there, as expected. However this time the check engine light does not come on.
Even though MHD has not disabled this code, it seems it stops this code triggering a check engine light, which is good enough.

This is fine, no action needed I think

Edit: Actually on my drive this morning the check engine light came back on
So my request to disable the code remains. I'll take logs if it helps, but need to drive my car gently for a while due to the engine being recently re-assembled (head gasket).

So to continue on from this...

Been running my car like this for ~ 600km now. Flashed the stage1+ last week and took the car for a thrash to get some logs.

Looks ok to me, but I'm not clued up on the fueling part of it.
https://datazap.me/u/matth5/upgraded...zoom=5348-5419

I'm still being cautious with the octane by running a 95RON map with 98RON fuel.

Engine based mods are now:
Cheap Chinese intercooler
VRSF Downpipe
"Stage 1" equivalent turbo upgrade (upgraded compressor wheel, but stock turbine)
DV+ Diverter valve

Fuel consumption is still normal for me, about 12l per 100km.

No sign of issues here running with secondary 02 disconnected this whole time. Based on this, would you guys consider adding 2D11 to the list of cat codes that you disable?

Considered going for the stage 2 maps but I guess it's smarter to go straight to a custom tune next due to the modified turbo?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #4219
whitextc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I have MHD stage 1 93 oct on my E92 N55. Love the extra power and its quite noticeable. I wish I can hear this exhaust burble but I understand that I'll need a catless downpipe (which I'm not willing to do) or an aftermarket exhaust. Down side is gas milages sucks ass. I went from 270miles on a full tank to 160miles on full tank after the flash. ewww...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #4220
fiekie135i
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 12'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitextc View Post
I have MHD stage 1 93 oct on my E92 N55. Love the extra power and its quite noticeable. I wish I can hear this exhaust burble but I understand that I'll need a catless downpipe (which I'm not willing to do) or an aftermarket exhaust. Down side is gas milages sucks ass. I went from 270miles on a full tank to 160miles on full tank after the flash. ewww...
with great power comes great responsibility.. i have FBO with mhd and my consumption has not changed if i drive "normal".. like with any car your consumption will raise if you have a heavy foot
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #4221
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

It's the XHP, that's really accentuating the exhaust effects.

I'm on a COBB HF downpipe, with MHD & stage 3 XHP.

The MHD isn't set for "Snap, Crackle & Pop", but when I down down shift in Manual, I hear more gurgles than when I was on a factory PPK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
Same here. VRSF DP, xHP stage 3, stock catback. Gunshots downshifting into 3rd, 2nd and 1st at higher rpms.
I am not sure I would want it any louder.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #4222
AJL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitextc View Post

You don't necessarily need a catless downpipe. A high-flow catted downpipe will increase exhaust volume and let you make more power. Most people who go with a catless seem to do so because it's cheaper and can make a bit more power. If I had to make the choice again, I would probably have saved up a bit more and bought a catted one.

As for gas mileage, idk what to tell you lol. Before and after the flash I still get ~300 miles on a tank, and I'm definitely not always easy on the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #4223
Irish335i
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Bone stock 2011 335i. Cables were just delivered and waiting at home. Planning to buy the flasher and stage 1 map later today and try it out. Can't wait.

As with probably many other 335i drivers, my left tailpipe rattles fiercely on a cold startup - so I've disconnected the harness from the trunk. I'm probably a minority as someone looking to reduce the exhaust note, but I really dislike the cabin drone while cruising and mild acceleration in 5th/6th. Was quoted $1200 to fix the left exhaust (I guess they can't just fix the broken rod/flap? They have to replace the whole thing all the way to the downpipes?). Can this app lower noise at all? Or is there an aftermarket exhaust, cheaper than stock, that will keep the noise at stock volumes?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #4224
rich_mane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
I think having an xHp/Alpina flash does make a difference because of the more aggressive throttle blips on downshifts.

I have a catless downpipe and stock catback as well (CAN Flaps are opened with the JB4 as well). To get the loudest pops I do the following:
- Accelerate in second gear slowly adding throttle until about 3.5-4k RPM
- At about half throttle I quickly let off the accelerator, wait a split second and downshift to first

If you time it properly the burbles will sound like gun shots. Hopefully MHD will add the burble intensity option soon, so they'll be even louder.
See this is why I'm trying to understand the differentiating factor between slowly adding throttle, and quickly punching it.

I do the same type process for loud pops. I seem to get the best pops in 3rd gear so I slowly add gas in 4th gear til about 4000RPM, let off and coast until it gets down to about 2700RPM, then downshift into 3rd (which puts it at ~3500RPM) and tap the gas to hear the burbles. After doing exactly that process it sounds verrrrrrrry satisfying. I've had some aggressive pops in 2nd gear as well but don't downshift into 1st very often.
Appreciate 0