E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 330i (N52)

04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
pugxs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport

E92 330i (N52)

Evening chaps,

Finally got around to accessing the hidden menu tonight on the OBC and checked out menu 7 - current coolant temp.

My reading was a constant 105 degrees Celsius. Is this normal? Seems quite high? I'm pretty sure I've read others saying ~95C is the norm....??

My oil temp was showing jus below the 100 degree mark, say 96C or so.

Does it sound like my engine is running too hot?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
leebermeister
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

My n52 330i reads the same for normal crusing. It's the economy setting the computer sets for best mpg. It you get into some spirited driving it should go down around 70'ish cel.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
I posted earlier today with much the same question, except mine is running too cold. Suspect the thermostat is permanently open since I have just recently replaced both temperature sensors thinking that they were giving false readings.

What's the correct normal operatiting temperatures for the N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
As per the title, my E90 330i seems to be running colder than normal based on the temperatures that I am seeing on the hidden OBC menu (unlock 19 and 7).

Last night driving home with the outside temperature being around 14C the engine coolant temperature was between 77 and 82 degrees Celsius, and this has been the case for a while now and was pointed out initially as a possible thermostat problem, but then suspected as being faulty temperature sensors. I replaced both temp sensors since they are the cheaper initial items to replace, but no difference, so it can now only be the thermostat that's not closing and properly regulating the temperatures.

I gather that the correct operating temperature range is mid 90's to a little over 100 degrees Celsius, maybe even higher this and then in some cases a bit lower than 90 degrees.

So just want to clarify this and hear what it is supposed to be in reality.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
A while back a member posted a link to a long detailed report about the N52 engine (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788821). There is lots of good info regarding our engines that I found interesting, particularly the design concept of the electric water pump (page 67). It describes that our water pumps move more or less coolant through our engines depending on the situations to maintain different engine temperature setpoints. During spirited driving the temperature of the coolant is kept lower to improve volumetric efficiency and thus more power. During eco mode it keeps it higher to thin out the oil to reduce parasitic losses (ie friction) on the engine to save fuel. Most importantly it shows the different coolant temperature set points and will answer your question quite nicely:

112 deg C ECO Mode
105 deg C Normal Mode
95 deg C Med output mode
80 deg C High output mode

I suggest taking a look yourself as it is described in better detail. Hell you can find out every damn detail about our engines in that report as its 75 pages!! Prepare to spend a few hours reading if you're super technical. Having a degree in mechanical engineering helped
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
pugxs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko
A while back a member posted a link to a long detailed report about the N52 engine (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788821). There is lots of good info regarding our engines that I found interesting, particularly the design concept of the electric water pump (page 67). It describes that our water pumps move more or less coolant through our engines depending on the situations to maintain different engine temperature setpoints. During spirited driving the temperature of the coolant is kept lower to improve volumetric efficiency and thus more power. During eco mode it keeps it higher to thin out the oil to reduce parasitic losses (ie friction) on the engine to save fuel. Most importantly it shows the different coolant temperature set points and will answer your question quite nicely:

112 deg C ECO Mode
105 deg C Normal Mode
95 deg C Med output mode

I suggest taking a look yourself as it is described in better detail. Hell you can find out every damn detail about our engines in that report as its 75 pages!! Prepare to spend a few hours reading if you're super technical. Having a degree in mechanical engineering helped
Thanks volasko, top stuff!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post

112 deg C ECO Mode
105 deg C Normal Mode
95 deg C Med output mode

Awesome! That's a very handy link there! Many thanks! And it answers my question too of course!

Appreciate 0