E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BMW PE Exhaust

04-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

BMW PE Exhaust

Just had my new PE installed by Steven and Jin at ActiveMotor Werke tonight.. Thanks guys for squeezing me in.

Thanks DrJ for the PE and it was a smooth easy deal done with you.

Fitting took a little over an hour, sounds bloody loud for me compared to stock. Was a little shocked at first but getting used to it now. Mine pops and burbles a heap which is what I wanted. Very happy with how it sounds but I didn't think it would be this loud. Down shifts sound great!

pics sound clip to come.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
i love mine too, do you have DP's?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
i love mine too, do you have DP's?
no not atm, don't think i will... it's loud as is right now!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
no not atm, don't think i will... it's loud as is right now!
Yeah, was about to say...

I've got DP's and the burble is just orgasmic!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Just had my new PE installed by Steven and Jin at ActiveMotor Werke tonight.. Thanks guys for squeezing me in.

Thanks DrJ for the PE and it was a smooth easy deal done with you.

Fitting took a little over an hour, sounds bloody loud for me compared to stock. Was a little shocked at first but getting used to it now. Mine pops and burbles a heap which is what I wanted. Very happy with how it sounds but I didn't think it would be this loud. Down shifts sound great!

pics sound clip to come.
What was the cost all up.

Love to hear the sound
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DSCLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Yeah, was about to say...

I've got DP's and the burble is just orgasmic!
can you smell after DP repalced?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Glad to hear that you're happy with it, albeit I get the feeling its a little too loud for you?

Ranoz: I haven't noticed any smell at all since I have changed to AR DP's and i normally drive with my window down to listen to the crackle of the N54
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Glad to hear that you're happy with it, albeit I get the feeling its a little too loud for you?

Ranoz: I haven't noticed any smell at all since I have changed to AR DP's and i normally drive with my window down to listen to the crackle of the N54
I think because down pipe is the only cat on N55. The smell is really bad for me. Only been replaced for a few days, maybe it takes a while to get used to it.

Ps. Will the smell getting better?
JB4 | Fie Cattless DP| Vorsteiner Diffuser | Black Grill | LED Parking Light | 15% Tint | M Spoiler | Black Side Grill | LED Number Plate Light | M Floor Mat | CF Knob | CF Centre Console Trim | Handbrake Grip with Alcantara | ADV1 5.0v1cs 20"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranoz View Post
I think because down pipe is the only cat on N55. The smell is really bad for me. Only been replaced for a few days, maybe it takes a while to get used to it.

Stop smelling it!

The smell should really only be there on a cold start.

If it gets too much for you later, get a high flow cat spliced in.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Quote:

Stop smelling it!

The smell should really only be there on a cold start.

If it gets too much for you later, get a high flow cat spliced in.
That's what I plan to do even I like the downpipe. At idle or stop you will dedicatedly smell it when windows down. I've read a few threads about this and surprised that most of ppl like the smell. Maybe I will one day.
JB4 | Fie Cattless DP| Vorsteiner Diffuser | Black Grill | LED Parking Light | 15% Tint | M Spoiler | Black Side Grill | LED Number Plate Light | M Floor Mat | CF Knob | CF Centre Console Trim | Handbrake Grip with Alcantara | ADV1 5.0v1cs 20"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
What was the cost all up.

Love to hear the sound
Hi BAD335i

Cost was $1326 from Shane... postage was $40ish to get it to me via AUST Post.

Fitting was $100 at Activemotor Werke.

From prices I had seen around I had to jump on this one from Shane as I wanted a PE but was going to do down the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
)
Don't know if it was the air temp last night or what but when i was driving home just after fitting, it was really loud.... people on the street staring loud.

This morning might be due to more traffic on road it sounded a lot quieter. or could be i me getting used to it.

I can definitely notice a throttle change...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep

Hi BMJ

Can you briefly explain how does that relate to throttle change?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Hi BAD335i

Cost was $1326 from Shane... postage was $40ish to get it to me via AUST Post.

Fitting was $100 at Activemotor Werke.

From prices I had seen around I had to jump on this one from Shane as I wanted a PE but was going to do down the track.
Thats really a good price.

Yes i've heard the PE and it's rather soft compared to mind but different loudness when it's on full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi BMJ

hard to explain, but in D my car had a really flat heavy lifeless throttle.. I had to really jam it to get that jolt... after the PE it's a lot lighter and more responsive. Car also feels a bit smoother, when come off throttle. I read up on the PE and thought that was sales BS but i noticed the throttle right away.

I don't notice any HP gain but i haven't had it any where near 6500rpm
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Thats really a good price.

Yes i've heard the PE and it's rather soft compared to mind but different loudness when it's on full throttle.

cheers, yeh that's why i jumped on it.

yeh i was expecting that as well, that's what i wanted. a little more louder with more burble and pops... when i drove out of active I was thinking sh$t this is way to loud... but as said this morning wasn't so bad.. checked the vacuum hose was on this morning as heard that can make it louder if off. Might all be in my head as I am stock exhaust programed.

driving to st kilda later so will report back... but the noses it makes are sweet, heaps of fun coming off throttle.

Last edited by BMJ; 04-11-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
cheers, yeh that's why i jumped on it.

yeh i was expecting that as well, that's what i wanted. a little more louder with more burble and pops... when i drove out of active I was thinking sh$t this is way to loud... but as said this morning wasn't so bad.. checked the vacuum hose was on this morning as heard that can make it louder if off. Might all be in my head as I am stock exhaust programed.

driving to st kilda later so will report back... but the noses it makes are sweet, heaps of fun coming off throttle.
FUN= more petrol !! :P yea the PE has a nice sound on higher rev between 5000-7000rpm compared to mine ..as mine have a very high pitch sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ
Quote:
Hi BMJ

hard to explain, but in D my car had a really flat heavy lifeless throttle.. I had to really jam it to get that jolt... after the PE it's a lot lighter and more responsive. Car also feels a bit smoother, when come off throttle. I read up on the PE and thought that was sales BS but i noticed the throttle right away.

I don't notice any HP gain but i haven't had it any where near 6500rpm
I'm also considering to have PE on my car, but since I have just replaced downpipe and it is noticeable louder than before. Maybe DCT helps to create some noise even with stock exhaust. After read your review, I'm now on the boundary if I will go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm also considering to have PE on my car, but since I have just replaced downpipe and it is noticeable louder than before. Maybe DCT helps to create some noise even with stock exhaust. After read your review, I'm now on the boundary if I will go ahead.
i am going for a long drive now so I will tell you when i get back... I am very happy i made the change now, to be honest with you.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
xtremelimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / E70 X5

Good job Joe! You got the exhaust
How does the sound compare to the meistershaft on my car? Post some clips, I want to hear this thing! haha
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi BMJ

Because the exhaust gases are now 'flowing' better, the gear changes as well as drive will feel smoother.

The higher the gear you're in, and the lower RPM's you're at will make it sound louder. If you hold your gears longer, it won't sound more stronger than louder.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #22
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
FUN= more petrol !! :P yea the PE has a nice sound on higher rev between 5000-7000rpm compared to mine ..as mine have a very high pitch sound.
ha haven't noticed a drop in fuel use yet... got on it a few times today sounded great.

Quote:
Very happy to report that last night the car must have been getting used to it. This afternoon PE sounds fantastic not too loud heaps of burble on throttle drops and nice deep sound. Picked up a mate and asked his opinion he said sounded great not loud....

Punched it a few times and it sounded really nice into high 5ks rpm. Gear changes are smoother and drive feels a lot smoother... goes very nicely with the COBB.... only thing is Drive is so smooth now it doesn’t have that boost punch... but still has it in DS when you jam it... I did reload ST Sport map on Cobb they may have changed the throttle settings as the AP was updated yesterday.

To be honest, last night I was thinking what have I done... but now very happy made the change. The PE is sweet.
Appreciate 0