Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cut out rear fender liners e92?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Cut out rear fender liners e92?

OK so I think my rubbing is just the fender liners, not the fender itself - Think I'm going to try cutting out the offending portion of the fender liner and see if it helps before I dial more camber into the rear...

Good idea, bad idea?

e92 LCI • LeMans BlueSaddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
It's probably actually rubbing at the spot where the rear bumper attaches to the fender.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
It's probably actually rubbing at the spot where the rear bumper attaches to the fender.
Yeah, that spot is so damn annoying. I still don't have a solution for it and I don't want to pull that area because I hate how the fenders look deformed.

Will probably end up having a shop trim down the area.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

+1 on the fender/bumper area

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
+1 on the fender/bumper area
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
It's not, it's right at the top of the arch where it was rubbing previously, now it's not leaving rubber on the fender well, but the fender liner hangs pretty close to the tire - I'm gonna cut it out and see what happens.

e92 LCI • LeMans BlueSaddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Yeah, that spot is so damn annoying. I still don't have a solution for it and I don't want to pull that area because I hate how the fenders look deformed.

Will probably end up having a shop trim down the area.
Rubbing is normal on this spot on most cars. It's annoying because the qtr panel is super strong and stiff compared to the front fenders. What a lot of people do is relocate the bumper screw/tab and move it further back so when they pull their fender, they can match the bumper so it doesn't look tweaked.

OP: I would cut only in the areas that you need to. If you're rubbing, look under the wheel wells where you can see noticeable 'blank rubbed off' spots. Use a box cutter to cut out those spots so the tire has room to jump in. I wouldn't remove the entire liner unless you really needed to. Dirt, debris, rain etc. will get caught up in there and get into areas of your car you don't want it to get. Cutting out only the necessary small spots minimizes this. Try not to leave flimsy flaps in there either. During the hot seasons, it might get heated up and start to sag then rub onto the tire. Happened to me and I regret removing the entire liner.
      06-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Rubbing is normal on this spot on most cars. It's annoying because the qtr panel is super strong and stiff compared to the front fenders. What a lot of people do is relocate the bumper screw/tab and move it further back so when they pull their fender, they can match the bumper so it doesn't look tweaked.

OP: I would cut only in the areas that you need to. If you're rubbing, look under the wheel wells where you can see noticeable 'blank rubbed off' spots. Use a box cutter to cut out those spots so the tire has room to jump in. I wouldn't remove the entire liner unless you really needed to. Dirt, debris, rain etc. will get caught up in there and get into areas of your car you don't want it to get. Cutting out only the necessary small spots minimizes this. Try not to leave flimsy flaps in there either. During the hot seasons, it might get heated up and start to sag then rub onto the tire. Happened to me and I regret removing the entire liner.

I removed the screw so that I can push out the edge of the rear bumper to line it up with the flared edge of the fender. My only concern is that my buddy who does rolls said he's not sure if he'll be able to roll all the way to the corner and flare the edge of the fender out. He said the edge of the fender looks like it can't be pushed out... did you manage to get yours to flare out a bit?

As for the fender liner, what I would do is cut a hole in the liner, stick in double sided tape and tape the liner right up against the wall of the fender and then tape over the hole as well... this should be enough to hold the fender liner out of the path of your tires.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I removed the screw so that I can push out the edge of the rear bumper to line it up with the flared edge of the fender. My only concern is that my buddy who does rolls said he's not sure if he'll be able to roll all the way to the corner and flare the edge of the fender out. He said the edge of the fender looks like it can't be pushed out... did you manage to get yours to flare out a bit?

As for the fender liner, what I would do is cut a hole in the liner, stick in double sided tape and tape the liner right up against the wall of the fender and then tape over the hole as well... this should be enough to hold the fender liner out of the path of your tires.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna pull the wheels and see if I can't glue, or tape the liner really flush against the fender and see if I can eliminate the rub that way.

If that doesn't work I'm going to selectively trim just the areas I see rubbing on.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Well last night I jacked the car up and cut out a strip of the fender liner about 4 inches wide, from the bottom of the fender up towards the top following the wheel arch.

I think I'm still getting a little bit of rub right where the fender meets the rear number (evil bracket / bolt everyone is talking about) but overall I think it eliminated about 90% + of the rub.

I'm thinking now about setting the rear camber at -2º (.5º more that OEM) and I think that will solve it 100%

Will update once I get the alignment done today.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
Well last night I jacked the car up and cut out a strip of the fender liner about 4 inches wide, from the bottom of the fender up towards the top following the wheel arch.

I think I'm still getting a little bit of rub right where the fender meets the rear number (evil bracket / bolt everyone is talking about) but overall I think it eliminated about 90% + of the rub.

I'm thinking now about setting the rear camber at -2º (.5º more that OEM) and I think that will solve it 100%

Will update once I get the alignment done today.

That will add about 2.5-2.8 mm of clearance for you.

Put some powder or something all over the inner liner and then go drive around and see where it rubbed off, that's what I just did today to confirm that I'm only rubbing in the back corner of the wheel, exactly where you are rubbing. But I am rubbing a good 3-4 mm onto the lip of the fender, so I would need about a full degree of camber for the necessary clearance.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
well i'm at -2º now and it still rubs in that spot, gonna jack the car up and see what I can figure out.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
So it's rubbing on the very bottom rear edge of the fender, and literally like 1/4mm

Think I may have that section rolled just a bit more - or I might break out the dremel and just cut the offending section out completely. For now it's very minor but I do want to get rid of the last bit of rub.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
beemerboy305
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:

im having this issue anyone have pics??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
I'll take some tomorrow. gonna put the car up on stands and remove the part that rubbing.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Cut out a good portion of the fender near the rear and have reduced the rub a lot.

Looks like I need another go at shaving it down to get it 100% no rub. Gonna work on it again next weekend.

Now it rubs only over big bumps with just me in the car, and rubs a bit with a fully loaded car with 4 people.

Think I know exactly how much more I need to shave, but I need to re-up on Dremel cutting wheels before I do any more.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great. Please post some pics next time you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
beemerboy305
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Post pics I wanna know what u cut !
      07-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beskone View Post
Cut out a good portion of the fender near the rear and have reduced the rub a lot.

Looks like I need another go at shaving it down to get it 100% no rub. Gonna work on it again next weekend.

Now it rubs only over big bumps with just me in the car, and rubs a bit with a fully loaded car with 4 people.

Think I know exactly how much more I need to shave, but I need to re-up on Dremel cutting wheels before I do any more.
Be sure to cover up any exposed metal after you shave it. Paint it and clear it. It'll start building rust and can be annoying. Doesn't have to be super perfect, just enough so it covers up any bare metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
Great. Please post some pics next time you're in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy305 View Post
Post pics I wanna know what u cut !
+2
      07-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Be sure to cover up any exposed metal after you shave it. Paint it and clear it. It'll start building rust and can be annoying. Doesn't have to be super perfect, just enough so it covers up any bare metal.
+2
Ya I ordered some touch up paint to cover the area once I finish this weekend.

I'll take pictures and post 'em when it's all finished.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.
But I am hoping to achieve the look you have with your rims. I noticed I was also rubbing on the liner and not the fender.

Before I get under there, I want to see what you had done.

I was hoping you could post those pics? Did you take them?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
After all the shit I did, they still rubbed like crazy, i backed off from a et20 to et23 and now all is well. not quite as flush but the rubbing was driving me crazy.

Appreciate 0