E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Question for the vinyl wrapped crowd

12-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Question for the vinyl wrapped crowd

I've been contemplating doing a full wrap on my E92. Right now I have my roof and window trim wrapped, but that's a far cry from doing the whole car.

Obviously, a full vehicle wrap will cost a few bucks. I don't really mind that, but it does bring to mind a few questions. I'd really like to hear directly from folks that have gone this route before so I can understand their experiences. I've read a few things online, but I'd feel much more confident in this decision if I heard from a few real people that have done it.

First, how do you wash the car? Just like normal? Use regular car wash soap and all? Can you use pressure washers? I would think not. Is it a pain to keep clean and looking good?

How well does the front bumper hold up? The front bumper on my car is, sadly, a bit chipped up from being driven for 50k miles. Is the vinyl going to hold up or will it be all torn and tattered/crappy looking from normal driving in a short length of time? I'm very paranoid about this one... would hate to spend the money only to have the front all torn up in a month.

What does the paint underneath look like when the vinyl wrap is removed? Am I in for a nasty surprise if I go to trade the car in some day and take the wrap off, only to find the paint is destroyed under there?

Finally, are there any other factors I'm not considering? Anything that makes owning/taking proper care of a vinyl wrapped car different than a painted one?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
AndyR83
Major
Rep

Nobody? Hmm very well...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
N6CRB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 Xdrive 28i Alpinweiss

I'm surprised that no one has responded to this. I would like to know the answers myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

I'm curious as to the answers as well. I'm sure someone will chime in sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

bump +1
      01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

I wash mine with a pressure wash and regular soap. I air dry or use micro fibers. My bumper is holding well and I've been driving back and forth to Vegas a lot. It's easy to keep clean if it's matte. I used 3M and it's holding up well. I would assume my original paint is perfectly fine since 3M makes that's vinyl specifically for automotive wrapping.

Last edited by HTran; 01-02-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
I've been contemplating doing a full wrap on my E92. Right now I have my roof and window trim wrapped, but that's a far cry from doing the whole car.

Obviously, a full vehicle wrap will cost a few bucks. I don't really mind that, but it does bring to mind a few questions. I'd really like to hear directly from folks that have gone this route before so I can understand their experiences. I've read a few things online, but I'd feel much more confident in this decision if I heard from a few real people that have done it.

First, how do you wash the car? Just like normal? Use regular car wash soap and all? Can you use pressure washers? I would think not. Is it a pain to keep clean and looking good?

How well does the front bumper hold up? The front bumper on my car is, sadly, a bit chipped up from being driven for 50k miles. Is the vinyl going to hold up or will it be all torn and tattered/crappy looking from normal driving in a short length of time? I'm very paranoid about this one... would hate to spend the money only to have the front all torn up in a month.

What does the paint underneath look like when the vinyl wrap is removed? Am I in for a nasty surprise if I go to trade the car in some day and take the wrap off, only to find the paint is destroyed under there?

Finally, are there any other factors I'm not considering? Anything that makes owning/taking proper care of a vinyl wrapped car different than a painted one?
the paint will look just how it was when you put it on, it holds up good always ran vynal graphis on my mx bikes. call my buddy jace wade at impulsegraphx.com he does tons of full car wraps and hes super expierenced, and pretty local for us andy hes right by philly but located in nj

facebook will bleich
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTran
I wash mine with a pressure wash and regular soap. I air dry or use micro fibers. My bumper is holding well and I've been driving back and forth to Vegas a lot. It's easy to keep clean if it's matte. I used 3M and it's holding up well. I would assume my original paint is perfectly fine since 3M makes that's vinyl specifically for automotive wrapping.
It'll leave a little residue when you pull it off... nothing that rubbing EtOH can't remove.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
AndyR83
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteopathXI View Post
It'll leave a little residue when you pull it off... nothing that rubbing EtOH can't remove.
Loving the etoh reference haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
Loving the etoh reference haha.
Appreciate 0