E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Driveline Vibration 325 xi

01-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
JRP
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 xi

Driveline Vibration 325 xi

need some help with this one..my 325 xi just developed a severe driveline vibration. the car always had a very subtle vibration at speeds of 60-80 mph and i always thought the front right wheel bearing was the culprit (see my other post). I never changed the wheel bearing to find out and been just living with it. but now, the vibration is way worse; it begins at 40 mph and still exisited when i hit 70 mph. feels like the car is binding too a little (like a 4WD truck in 4WD on dry pavement). i also notice that if you load and unload the driveline with the throttle slightly; it will almost go away at a very fine point in between. but then i free wheeled down a hill with it (it's a 6spd manual) vibration is still there. that kind of leads me to believe its the driveline

i am going to bring it in my shop tomorrow to try and diagnos the problem. my gut is telling me it's a bearing, cvc joint or diff issues. i hope its just a bearing! it's not the tires, wheels, or melted and frozen slush on the inner wheels either. any pointers are appreciated. thx
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
RentonTDI
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDRIVE Sedan

On the e46 platform replacing the front axels often resolved vibe issues.

For example: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870025
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
JRP
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 xi

i think i found the problem..the universal joint near the transfer case on the front drive shaft is toast. i can't believe it stayed together, one of the bearing caps was totally shot and had no needle bearings, grease, and blew out the yoke on one side. any ever change the front output shaft oil seals? or transfer case oil? mines seeping oil from it
Appreciate 0