E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Recall on Programming for E70/E90 M57??

10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hey guys, here's some good news: I spoke with my SA and he said my car does not need this update. His explanation was that my car's reprogramming for the EGR valve had occurred after BMW created this update, thus according to BMW, my installed software version includes this latest update.

It's nice to get lucky. I hope my luck on this one holds!
      10-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
duramax
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Took mine in for the first oil change and had the software updated as well, they said it would take 5 hours. I had it done. I am on the first tank since but I have been tracking mileage since new, so I will see if it effects it. So far I am -1mpg, but it has been windy. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #25
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Ive calculated a 2 mpg increase but will see with 2nd tank full, although I did switch to Shell DIESEL, might be the new Diesel and not the flash who knows
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #26
cheetah45
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Alpine White

Dealership rep called me to inform me of this service campaign. Service manager claims it is not mandatory, but I got a sense that he really would like me to bring it in. My question to those here: Is there any reason I should not have this done to my car??? Is there any reason I should have it done???
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

If we had any idea what the update actually does, we could make more informed decisions. I'm going for it in the hope it returns the lost MPG from the last update, that BMW would never acknowledge. So if BMW is correcting in issue they would not acknowledge, it stands to reason they would not indicate the update is fixing said unacknowledged issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Another Recall -- Reflash & Aftermarket Mods

Seems there is a variety of dealer reactions to third-party mods (e.g., Renntech) while under 4-year maintenance program. Some seem to not care unless it causes them grief; some want to be picky.

I had assumed that if they reflashed the ECU then it would always be necessary to get the Renntech mod redone, which for me too would be a hassle. [NOTE: I haven't done this upgrade yet; still in pondering mode].

So I was just worried about the dealer saying "sorry chump, you're no longer entitled to the free stuff".

Doesn't anyone know what Renntech would charge to reflash if you ship the ECU back to them?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan335dOwner View Post
Seems there is a variety of dealer reactions to third-party mods (e.g., Renntech) while under 4-year maintenance program. Some seem to not care unless it causes them grief; some want to be picky.

I had assumed that if they reflashed the ECU then it would always be necessary to get the Renntech mod redone, which for me too would be a hassle. [NOTE: I haven't done this upgrade yet; still in pondering mode].

So I was just worried about the dealer saying "sorry chump, you're no longer entitled to the free stuff".

Doesn't anyone know what Renntech would charge to reflash if you ship the ECU back to them?
You are in MD so you might find this useful as it relates to making your decision reagarding which tune you want to go with esp considering it will be a hassle to have to remove your ECU and ship it each time the dealer reprograms your ECU.

Anyway, Mach V in Sterling VA is in discussions with Evolve, in which case it is quite possible that in the not to distant future they will be an Evolve dealer. Making a trip out to Sterling is a lot more convenient then the aforementioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Evolve vs. Renntech for 335d Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
You are in MD so you might find this useful as it relates to making your decision reagarding which tune you want to go with esp considering it will be a hassle to have to remove your ECU and ship it each time the dealer reprograms your ECU.

Anyway, Mach V in Sterling VA is in discussions with Evolve, in which case it is quite possible that in the not to distant future they will be an Evolve dealer. Making a trip out to Sterling is a lot more convenient then the aforementioned.
I was aware of Evolve, which I have read is a pretty big tuner in Europe, but for some reason I put it out of my options list because the Renntech and JBD sounded good, and I didn't research Evolve much. Guess maybe I will now.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
poggi
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I'm going to force them to do this on the spot while I wait. None of this "we need 3-4 hours to do this" or "please take a loaner" crap from them.

This time I'm going to lose it on them.
Pack a lunch. Miine's scheduled for reflash on 12/27. Was told it could take 2-8 hours!!!!!!!!

BTW, was there to buy extended warranty and could not until reflash complete.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Took car in yesterday for 1st oil change. S/A says there is a recall on your car for module reprogramming. I asked what it was for. He says it's like going from Vista to 7. I wanted to slap him. I say I decline no thanks. He says ok, but you won't be able to register your car with the DMV if you don't have it done, but that's not a problem now. Meanwhile a S/A across the room is on the phone with a customer telling them BMW is going to take two weeks to give us an answer. Who knows wtf that was about.

Seven hours later I call to see if the car is done. He says yes I left you a message. I look at my iPhone no messages or calls.

Anyone here have a missed call or no voicemail problem with AT&T? I don't or thought I didn't. I'll post up a scan of the documents later.
      12-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #33
nonexistant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Had this recall done...day later I had urea crystals all over the back of my car; idiots.

Just took a 900mi road trip...average 34mpg which is 2 less than advertised and around 4 less than I used to average with all interstate driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #34
Dr335d
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3-Rex Laurel Grey Tera

My dealer allowed me to skip the recall.... Basically they did not have the time to do it... They had promised me the car at 2 pm and they had not started the re-program.

Does anyone have the issue with the sound system. I get in the car and its tuned to an FM station that is not programmed.... I also have the display set up as split screen and it is checked for split screen but it only shows the one screen until I uncheck then recheck the split screen box. Just seems a bit buggy. Not to mention that my iPhone 5 maps and nav. is a bit more reliable than my 335d?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
Built4Sin
TL/DR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [9.00]
2014 Audi Q7 TDI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
Anyone here have a missed call or no voicemail problem with AT&T? I don't or thought I didn't. I'll post up a scan of the documents later.
Yep happens all the time.
Appreciate 0