E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this normal?

03-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Is this normal?

First of all, I've taken the car in once and then have said that this is normal, which I clearly believe to be BS. It's getting to the point where it has the potential to cause a severe accident.

Problem:

Couple of months ago I noticed that anytime I hit a divot in the road or go over a bump that leads to a drainage area (weird Texas road construction), the wheel (steering) and the actual wheels that touch the road jerk in either the right or left direction forcing me to have to correct. Now, obviously when going at higher speeds this has the possibly to have the car just veer in some random direction.

When driving on roads that look to be lumpy (best way to describe it), the car does the same thing and the steering wheel and actual wheels pull left and right and i constantly have to correct so that I am traveling straight.

What might this problem be? Please tell me I'm not smoking crack and that this shouldn't happen like I believe.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Do you have Active Steering? Maybe a sensor or something. I'm currently learning a lot about AS since my buddy is having some weird issues with his.
      03-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
First of all, I've taken the car in once and then have said that this is normal, which I clearly believe to be BS. It's getting to the point where it has the potential to cause a severe accident.

Problem:

Couple of months ago I noticed that anytime I hit a divot in the road or go over a bump that leads to a drainage area (weird Texas road construction), the wheel (steering) and the actual wheels that touch the road jerk in either the right or left direction forcing me to have to correct. Now, obviously when going at higher speeds this has the possibly to have the car just veer in some random direction.

When driving on roads that look to be lumpy (best way to describe it), the car does the same thing and the steering wheel and actual wheels pull left and right and i constantly have to correct so that I am traveling straight.

What might this problem be? Please tell me I'm not smoking crack and that this shouldn't happen like I believe.
How long have you owned the vehicle?
(Attempting to assess you are, in fact, smoking crack)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Do you have Active Steering? Maybe a sensor or something. I'm currently learning a lot about AS since my buddy is having some weird issues with his.
I do not have active steering. I have the M-sport package which has the sport suspension.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
How long have you owned the vehicle?
(Attempting to assess you are, in fact, smoking crack)
Owned the vehicle since new on July 9, 2011. Was picked up in Munich. Seems it began to get worse since I moved to Texas....Texas

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Owned the vehicle since new on July 9, 2011. Was picked up in Munich. Seems it began to get worse since I moved to Texas....Texas
OIC. I asked because mine actually feels a lot heavy when going through a bad road. First car in which I experience this. I do not have active steering, but I related to having the Sport Suspension, as you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OIC. I asked because mine actually feels a lot heavy when going through a bad road. First car in which I experience this. I do not have active steering, but I related to having the Sport Suspension, as you do.
OIC? I know my steering is "hard" , but that is due to hydraulic steering which I love because I can feel when I'm losing the car.

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
OIC? I know my steering is "hard" , but that is due to hydraulic steering which I love because I can feel when I'm losing the car.
Oh I See. OIC.

I wasn't talking about it being "hard" as in heavy. And you're wrong, it's not because it's hydraulic, many hydraulic power steering cars have a much lighter steering.

I was referring to it being hard as in it tries to pull and veer to the sides where lumps on the road are, which is what I thought your post was about, but now I just think you're trolling... So stop with the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh I See. OIC.

I wasn't talking about it being "hard" as in heavy. And you're wrong, it's not because it's hydraulic, many hydraulic power steering cars have a much lighter steering.

I was referring to it being hard as in it tries to pull and veer to the sides where lumps on the road are, which is what I thought your post was about, but now I just think you're trolling... So stop with the pipe.
Not trolling. I always thought the heavier steering was due to hydraulic steering.

Please explain OIC. And lumps in the road due pull and make the car veer a lot.

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 328 [Sold]

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Could be grooves in the road.

There's a few roads on my way to work that I have to be careful on because the steering will pull into a certain direction. I know for a fact that my issue is indeed the roads because it happens in the same spots every time and no where else.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Not trolling. I always thought the heavier steering was due to hydraulic steering.

Please explain OIC. And lumps in the road due pull and make the car veer a lot.
OIC = Oh I See
      03-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshortbloke View Post

There's a few roads on my way to work that I have to be careful on because the steering will pull into a certain direction. I know for a fact that my issue is indeed the roads because it happens in the same spots every time and no where else.

Just a thought.
Same here... There is one spot on a slight curvy road where the car will always pull to the right. Only happens in the e92, never did it in any other car.
      03-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just a thought.
I mean it definitely happens in the same areas, or areas that i expect, I just would never think the suspension would be allow to pull that hard.

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I mean it definitely happens in the same areas, or areas that i expect, I just would never think the suspension would be allow to pull that hard.
The suspension can only do so much. When the wheels get into the grooves, it's like you're putting the car on tracks, it'll follow because it's the path of least resistance. That creates the pull that you find yourself correcting, even the best suspension will still follow tracks.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #15
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The suspension can only do so much. When the wheels get into the grooves, it's like you're putting the car on tracks, it'll follow because it's the path of least resistance. That creates the pull that you find yourself correcting, even the best suspension will still follow tracks.

appreciate the explanation.

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
appreciate the explanation.
No problem.

Just be sure to always monitor it and if something doesn't feel right, you know your car best.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #17
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Th3xf4ctor,

Does your car have run-flat tires and, if so, are they fairly worn? RFT's in general, and worn ones especially, are very subject to "tramlining," where the tires will pull strongly in reaction to crowned road surfaces, bumps, rain grooves, etc. It can be downright scary.

If your tires aren't the issue, then it's probably time for an alignment and a careful inspection of the suspension bushings. A little bit of toe-out can cause a lot of instability. Worn bushings could allow significant changes in the suspension pivot points with corresponding effects on alignment and stability.

Oh, one other point: Run-flat tire issues generally develop gradually over time as the tread wears down. Alignment and bushing problems can occur all of a sudden as a result of clobbering a pothole. If your problem developed abruptly, I'd guess it's more likely to be an alignment issue caused by a road hazard.

Good luck tracking this down--and let us know what you find.

Rick F.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #18
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F.
Th3xf4ctor,

Does your car have run-flat tires and, if so, are they fairly worn? RFT's in general, and worn ones especially, are very subject to "tramlining," where the tires will pull strongly in reaction to crowned road surfaces, bumps, rain grooves, etc. It can be downright scary.

If your tires aren't the issue, then it's probably time for an alignment and a careful inspection of the suspension bushings. A little bit of toe-out can cause a lot of instability. Worn bushings could allow significant changes in the suspension pivot points with corresponding effects on alignment and stability.

Oh, one other point: Run-flat tire issues generally develop gradually over time as the tread wears down. Alignment and bushing problems can occur all of a sudden as a result of clobbering a pothole. If your problem developed abruptly, I'd guess it's more likely to be an alignment issue caused by a road hazard.

Rick F.
This sounds like it could be my issue. I am getting ready for new tires. On original potenza tires with roughly 18k on them. The issue has define fly gotten gradually worse. I'm already planning on going with non run flats for my next tire, but what you mentioned is very interesting.

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Th3xf4ctor,

Rick F.
This +1000

Had same issue. Replaced rft and issue disappeared
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #20
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
This sounds like it could be my issue. I am getting ready for new tires. On original potenza tires with roughly 18k on them. The issue has define fly gotten gradually worse. I'm already planning on going with non run flats for my next tire, but what you mentioned is very interesting.
Th3xf4ctor,

If you consider staying with run-flat tires, I had really good luck with the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT's I put on my 2006 Z4. They're a "third generation" run flat, designed to provide a much better ride and minimal "tramlining" while still retaining the run-flat capability. (See Tire Rack Test.) They are all-season tires, however, and not nearly as sporty as some other tires. They were fine for my purposes.

Rick F.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #21
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F.
Quote:
Th3xf4ctor,

If you consider staying with run-flat tires, I had really good luck with the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT's I put on my 2006 Z4. They're a "third generation" run flat, designed to provide a much better ride and minimal "tramlining" while still retaining the run-flat capability. (See Tire Rack Test.) They are all-season tires, however, and not nearly as sporty as some other tires. They were fine for my purposes.

Rick F.
I really do despise my Bridgestone potenza tires. Who the hell makes a tire with tread depth of 140

[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #22
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
I really do despise my Bridgestone potenza tires. Who the hell makes a tire with tread depth of 140
What are you talking about? Are these metric measurements of some sorts?
They are all 10/32" or 11/32"

Also, their UTQG is at least 260.
Appreciate 0