E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FMIC Comparison - Data Compilation

11-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #45
solid77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Evolution Racewerks FMIC

Evolution Racewerks FMIC

Record Breaking 438whp and 450lbs of Torque. ER Comp FMIC, Catless Downpipe, Exhaust, Intake and JB3 on 100 Octane.

384 whp and 425lbs of Torque. ER Comp FMIC, Catless Downpipes, Exhaust, Intake and JB3 on 93 Pump Gas. 365whp and 411lbs of Torque with 91 Pump Gas.

Features:
Large 20"x5.5"x6" intercooler core
Cast end tanks for improved durability and flow
Available in polished or anodized black finish
Includes all aluminum intercooler piping, which replaces all OEM rubber hoses with hard piping for improved throttle response and faster turbo spool up
Piping features beaded ends, silicone "hump" hoses, and T-bolt clamps
Maintains all factory components
All hardware needed to install is included
Limited lifetime warranty
15 - 25 horsepower gains at the wheels

Last edited by solid77; 12-02-2009 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #46
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I am trying to decide between helix and rpi
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #47
awei130
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E92, 987

thanks for the great information
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #48
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

ETS BMW 135i/335i Intercooler Kit

The ETS intercooler Kit Features
  • Full Intercooler Kit- Includes Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Couplers,Clamps
  • Direct Bolt on with absolutely no cutting
  • Replaces Restrictive Stock Piping
  • Max HP Gains of 21.05hp
  • Over 60deg Lower Temps
  • No Heat Soak after a Pull
  • Reduces Knock
  • Durable Stainless Steel Piping
  • 4 Ply Silicone Couplers
  • Breeze Premium T-Bolt Clamps
  • Optional Anodizing (Blue, Black, Gold and Red)

Note how the inlet and outlets are staggered. The inlet is at the top of the cooler and the outlet is at the bottom. This design will force the air to flow through the whole cooler, not just straight across as if both inlet and outlets were on the top.

Also note the radiator shroud tabs at the bottom of the cooler.

Side by side shot of the whole system illustrates why we designed a whole new kit and not just a bolt on intercooler. Below are the main reasons we feel replacement of the stock piping is in order:
  • Stock system has an accordion hose at the inlet. This hose will create turbulence because of the ribbed design.
    • ETS Solution- Extend the inlet tube to reach the stock turbo outlet pipe and use a straight, smooth silicone coupler.
  • 90deg bend at the intercooler outlet is restrictive to flow.
    • ETS Solution- Split the sharp 90deg bend up into a 60deg and a 30deg bend. This still makes a 90deg turn, but is not as sharp as the stock 90deg hose. This allows for better airflow post intercooler.
  • Plastic Pipe has restrictive dimples protruding into the airstream.
    • ETS Solution- Use a Stainless Steel mandrel bent pipe that is uniform inner diameter throughout it's length improves flow as well.

Analysis of Stock Intercooler,
Base Test on a stage 1 vehicle at 12psi shows good power, but a flat spot in the mid range power between 5000-5700rpm is likely due to the rapidly rising outlet temps of the inefficient stock intercooler. Based upon the 100deg mid pull temps, and the 125deg end of pull temp, there is definitely room for improvement over the stock intercooler.

Analysis of ETS Intercooler,

Upon installation of the ETS Intercooler Kit, the car shows a 21.05hp increase and makes 361 peak hp. Outlet temps are only 59deg at mid pull and the temps only rise to 66deg at the end of the run. These temps are signifigantly lower than stock, and it is no surprise that there is a substancial power increase with the intercooler kit installed. Aside from the midrange, we also noticed a slight Increase in top end power as well. This can be attributed in part to the ETS Replacement Charge Pipe which replaces the plastic stock pipe with the 2 restrictve dimples that protrude into the flow area of the pipe.

Through Gears Test

As our test car was an automatic, it was a perfect candidate for a pull through all 4 gears.This is the test that really shows the difference in the
ETS Kit vs. the stock intercooler as this test will put a lot of heat into the system in 1st and 2nd gears, which should show the stock units shortcomings as it gets to the high load areas of 3rd and 4th gear.

In this test we see both intercoolers start out at 50deg, by the top of second gear the ETS intercooler is only up to 57deg, while the stock unit is already at 78deg. By the time we get to the top of third gear, the stock cooler has heat soaked, and the charge temps are up to 124, which is way too hot to safely control knock. While the stock intercooler is struggling in 3rd gear, the ETS intercooler is handling the temps with ease, yielding a 69deg charge air temperature. As the car shifts into 4th, the stock intercooler continues to struggle to control the charge air temps, and fails miserably, ending up at 158deg, and even causing timing to be pulled enough that we see two noticeable dips in power.

The ETS intercooler on the other hand, is handling the load of 4th gear without issue, and is returning good power throughout the rest of the pull. Charge temps rise to only 91deg, and we see a max power difference of 25hp. This is a considerable improvement over the stock unit, and is a difference you can really feel in the drivers seat.

30sec. After Pull Analasys,
The above graph illustrates the how well the ETS intercooler deals with heat even after the pull. As illustrated, the ETS intercooler just never gets hot, and even 30seconds after a run through all the gears, the ETS unit is only 69deg while the stock cooler is still over 110deg. These low after pull temps are important because it means that with the ETS intercooler System you ready to make another pull, while the stock cooler is best left to cool down for at least a few minutes.

Stage 1 Race Gas

After all of the design testing was completed, we ran the car on unleaded MS109 racegas and turned up the torque table settings. The outcome was 393whp and 414tq. Not bad for a stage 1 automatic car, with just intake, intercooler, and a tune

Pressure Drop - Average 1psi

Inlet/Outlet Pressure From 1st to 4th Gear

4th Gear Zoom In of Inlet/Outlet Pressure

1.0 psi Average Pressure Drop in 4th Gear

Intercooler Outlet Coupler Comparison

Any of the intercoolers utilizing a stock outlet coupler will start off with a 2.0" outlet. This is one of the most restrictive points of the stock intercooler kit. We include a 2.75" to 2.50" 60 degree coupler that has a smooth funnel design.

Anodized Intercooler Option

Last edited by ETS Michael; 11-17-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #49
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

So based of the info Helix seems to be the most sold option.

So if that is the case what connecting pipes are people using to replace the stock ones? I know there was some issues of pipe blowing off?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #50
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I got the helix and love it but I did get a 30ff code the other day but I have been to lazy to see if a coupler came loose.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #51
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I wish it was easier to see a quantitative comparison chart, although I'm not well-versed enough yet to know what exactly would count as a vital statistic, and what stats attributes be more heavily weighted.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #52
ralph@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I got the helix and love it but I did get a 30ff code the other day but I have been to lazy to see if a coupler came loose.
Check your piping asap. It's not the greatest thing when piping "pops" loose on the road from not clamping the piping properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #53
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Any info on the Dinan FMIC, not that anyone cares but it was an option at one time!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #54
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Any info on the Dinan FMIC, not that anyone cares but it was an option at one time!
If someone digs up information pics data on it please post it here to share. This has become a good thread that I may try to organize for ease of perusing.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #55
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

good info - but no pressure drop data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Heres some more info on the Stett.

**ANYONE PLANNING ON TURBO SWAPS DOWN THE ROAD, LOOK NO FURTHER! OUR COOLER WILL HANDLE 620+HP AT 80% CAPACITY**

CONTSTRUCTION:
Stock- aluminum core with crimped on plastic tanks; O-ring seals with plastic pipes
STETT- double welded all aluminum; 4 ply double layer silicone connectors with 304 stainless steel pipes

VOLUME:
Stock- 425 cubic inches
STETT- 600 cubic inches (41% more)

AMBIENT SURFACE AREA:
Stock- 100 sq in
STETT- 200 sq in (100% more) -- Taller (more ambient air exposure and easy penetration- quicker cooling) rather than deeper/thicker which requires more air at a higher velocity to fully penetrate and provide the thermal energy conversion.

Where the stock cooler barely supports stock boost and horsepower levels, our cooler flows over 920cfm and will support over 620hp (80% capacity). Inlet temps are within 10-20 degrees over ambient at 80% capacity or less. Power gains are going to vary depending on your modifications. We don't advertise HP gains because they do GREATLY depend on your modifications and rather than being misleading we feel that the proven design we have and it's specifications sell itself (as it should when purchasing an intercooler). Those running more boost (and more HP) should see more gains and will sustain those gains much more efficiently than the stock cooler.

Installation is not extremely difficult but is probably not ideal for someone looking for their first car mod project. But, this is also a FMIC for the serious modders because it CAN handle and make power above where many other units can't. It does require modification of the plastic shroud behind the bumper but any FMIC like this will require the same (thanks BMW for leaving us no room ). The BMW clamps on the factory intercooler piping are non adjustable and seamless. So it does require cutting these clamps off. Again, any intercooler upgrade that replaces the weak and flimsy stock piping will require this. There are no big, bulky brackets just TWO simple bolts, utilizing existing bolt holes in the car's frame rails. Each kit comes with the cooler, the stainless piping and clamps, the heavy duty 4 ply double layer silicone hoses and the two attaching bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #56
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid77 View Post
Evolution Racewerks FMIC

Record Breaking 438whp and 450lbs of Torque. ER Comp FMIC, Catless Downpipe, Exhaust, Intake and JB3 on 100 Octane.

384 whp and 425lbs of Torque. ER Comp FMIC, Catless Downpipes, Exhaust, Intake and JB3 on 93 Pump Gas. 365whp and 411lbs of Torque with 91 Pump Gas.

Features:
Large 20"x5.5"x6" intercooler core
Cast end tanks for improved durability and flow
Available in polished or anodized black finish
Includes all aluminum intercooler piping, which replaces all OEM rubber hoses with hard piping for improved throttle response and faster turbo spool up
Piping features beaded ends, silicone "hump" hoses, and T-bolt clamps
Maintains all factory components
All hardware needed to install is included
Limited lifetime warranty
15 - 25 horsepower gains at the wheels
Not to get off topic, but I like this FMIC. If AMS had made the entire charge pipe like ER has, I would have definately given AMS the upper hand. But after looking at this, I'd say the AMS is only slightly better... Why? Well.. Because I OWN the AMS of course! No real proof haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #57
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

ETS looks like a winner to me considering it's price, performance, quality and install without cutting anything. I'm def. getting one soon.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #58
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG View Post
ETS looks like a winner to me considering it's price, performance, quality and install without cutting anything. I'm def. getting one soon.
i thought you only wanted a tune yes the ETS looks nice ! I have the Helix and very happy with it.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #59
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
From Dinan's website it has a 93% increase in total volume, whatever that means. It also reduces pressure drop by 0.7 psi. BTW, if anyone wants it on their E90 with M Aero Kit it does fit, I have it on ours. I should go get a pic but I'm just too lazy right now at about 3 in the morning...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #60
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

doenst DINAN use the RPI intercooler and rebrands it?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #61
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
doenst DINAN use the RPI intercooler and rebrands it?
Dinan uses a Spearco core.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #62
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
i thought you only wanted a tune yes the ETS looks nice ! I have the Helix and very happy with it.
I think I might let just this one slide purely out of consistency reasons.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #63
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
I added a snipped to the first post regarding understanding possible downfalls to reading strictly dyno data from intercooler upgrades. Point in case: Do some datalogging while doing real runs.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #64
spdu4ea
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Bump for HPF's new IC:

Quote:
BMW 135i/335i Front Mount Intercooler

On Sale Now for $995!! - Click here to purchase.

Specifics

We just completed and tested our BMW 135i/335i Front Mount Intercooler and these are ready for sale at $995. We designed the HorsepowerFreaks 135i/335i intercoolers to set the high bar in performance, reliability, ease of installation, durability and visual appeal. Our intercoolers are 87% larger than the factory intercooler and pick up a sizeable 10-30rwhp at just 11psi while showing even greater gains when other power adders are used. These are the largest aftermarket intercoolers on the market for the 135i and 335i that fit within the factory location. Our cores are 20.25 inches wide by 5.75 inches tall and 7 inches deep for a massive 815 total cubic inches. Our intercoolers are also one of the easiest to install (in less than one hour) as they utilize the factory mounting tabs, factory c-clip couplers and don't require any silicon couplers or extra hose clamps. Our intercoolers are the only ones that utilize the sway bar mounting tabs to create a structural reinforcement that holds the intercooler tightly in place and our intercoolers fit within the factory grill and do not interfere with the radiator airflow. Our HPF intercoolers drastically drop the intake air temps without adding any additional turbo lag over your stock intercooler. Lower intake temperatures result in greater power delivery and the harder you run your car, the larger the gains you're going to see with our intercoolers. Whether you're running your 135i/335i as a daily driver or have already turned it into an all out track car, this intercooler will get you the power you need.

Features
  • Over 87% more internal flow area than stock
  • High flow large radius cast end tanks for smooth, less turbulant air-flow
  • Factory style billet quick disconnect c-clip couplers
  • Fan shroud mounting retainers
  • Efficient bar and plate intercooler core design
  • No need for silicon couplers or hose clamps
  • Utilizes the factory O-ring compressor pipes
  • Utilizes the factory mounts and additional stainless lower brackets for added rigidity
  • 20.25" wide X 5.75" tall X 7" deep
  • 815 cubic inches of cooling (factory is 435 cubic inches)
  • Designed for up to 650rwhp
  • Fully polished to an extremely high luster

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #65
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Great thread, let's keep it going. Maybe someone could compile a table with data on volume, frontal area, construction, AIT reduction, and pressure drop.
      01-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #66
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
If you are going to get the RPI get it because it's the easiest to install /remove thanks to the stock couplers. If you are going for pure power consider the restrictions in the stock set up vs. replacing it all with smooth piping.

In my case I've had to remove my intercooler a couple of times due to warranty issues, so the RPI worked like a charm. In day to day and track driving I've noticed a great improvement over stock, but cannot compare to any other aftermarket FMIC.

It's certainly beefier then the stock FMIC size/weight wise.
Appreciate 0