E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Oil Cooler info.

12-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #67
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
No offense but that is a strong statement that shouldn't be made without a SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL doing dozens of lab test with multiple engines to determine gas content in the oil.
I've seen at least one report from Blackstone labs with high fuel content in the oil for the 335. I'm not going to go dig it up but, I remember seeing it. It's a fairly common thing on the Audi 2.0T (which is also high compression, boosted, DI) from what I've read as well.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 12-20-2007 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #68
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Why is the upgrade for the cooler-less only 200 more, it's got some serious extra hardware.
That seems to be what everyone is bitching about

I don't think most people are concerning with the price of the tune. Rather, most are bitching about the ridiculous price of the cooler.
      12-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #69
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
That seems to be what everyone is bitching about

I don't think most people are concerning with the price of the tune. Rather, most are bitching about the ridiculous price of the cooler.
I think the tune is high but, I can kind of stomach that for the warranty thing as they can potentially blame a lot of failure modes back on the tune. With the oil cooler though the only warranty claim I could see from it was if the cooler or a line broke and all the oil leaked out.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #70
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Jon,

can we order the braided lines by themselves or is it a package deal only?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #71
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
Jon,

can we order the braided lines by themselves or is it a package deal only?
Stainless steel lines are always available at speed shops like Jegs or Summit Racing. You can order them in 6ft or 10ft etc. You just need a really sharp tool to cut it so that it prevents the ends from fraying. You also have to select the right size as well. A size similar to the factory one is more idea.

Rubber hoses can be cheaper but will most likely require that the fitting be crimped to the hose. I think it could be cheaper but the downside is that oil leaks can occur where the crimp is.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #72
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
Stainless steel lines are always available at speed shops like Jegs or Summit Racing. You can order them in 6ft or 10ft etc. You just need a really sharp tool to cut it so that it prevents the ends from fraying. You also have to select the right size as well. A size similar to the factory one is more idea.

Rubber hoses can be cheaper but will most likely require that the fitting be crimped to the hose. I think it could be cheaper but the downside is that oil leaks can occur where the crimp is.
thanks for the quick response. i was wondering about the Dinans because they already have the factory fitments, something which i have yet to find out. I am ready to jump on this mod, but need the onfo for the proper fittings. from the picture it looks like Dinan's fittings are all 45 degree with one straight.

i'm gonna pm the person that was selling a Dinan oil cooler, see if he has any info.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #73
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the quick response. i was wondering about the Dinans because they already have the factory fitments, something which i have yet to find out. I am ready to jump on this mod, but need the onfo for the proper fittings. from the picture it looks like Dinan's fittings are all straight with no angles except for one that appears to be a 45 degree.

i'm gonna pm the person that was selling a Dinan oil cooler, see if he has any info.
Yeah I like how Dinan's oil lines are setup. Finding the fittings can be easy but need detailed pictures of the fittings, the crimp, and any specs on the fitting size would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #74
B'CahiLL-The Boss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 with Kellener's - next. AW

I know they're coming out with an intercooler as well. The flash + the intercooler + the oil cooler... is almost way too expensive... $8,000.00 for 400 hp wow =) add an exhaust and that's $10,000.00 altogether. Maybe if that includes labor $2 grand is reasonable... but I'm sure the quality is perfection. Can't complain about that at least...

I will probably upgrade to that oil cooler is the bad part. Dinan mods are so convenient, they can be addicting...
      12-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #75
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah I like how Dinan's oil lines are setup. Finding the fittings can be easy but need detailed pictures of the fittings, the crimp, and any specs on the fitting size would be helpful.
got the part #s, i'll call a couple of scrapyards tomorrow and see i they have a set.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=17&fg=05

weird part is that link is for MT cars, AT apparently have a "heat exchanger" with different parts than the MT.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=17&fg=05
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #76
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
got the part #s, i'll call a couple of scrapyards tomorrow and see i they have a set.

weird part is that link is for MT cars, AT apparently have a "heat exchanger" with different parts than the MT.

That heat exchanger is the oil cooler for the automatic transmission fluid only.

Do you plan on making your own oil cooler kit? Not sure if the factory lines will fit on any other aftermarket oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #77
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
That heat exchanger is the oil cooler for the automatic transmission fluid only.

Do you plan on making your own oil cooler kit? Not sure if the factory lines will fit on any other aftermarket oil cooler.
yup, been working on it for a while.
i just need the lines to get the correct fitment. can't seem to find necessary info anywhere.

the exchanger for the AT makes sense, its just weird because under the oil cooler it states only for MT.

edit: i just realized, i totally jacked this thread...lmao....sorry.

Last edited by 335iheLLraiseR; 12-20-2007 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #78
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I'm not going to get the flash, or the oil cooler, $6 thousand (including labor) on a leased car, that I'm only going to have for 2 more years...no thanks. $1,400 for a Procede for 2 years, no thanks! I haven't seen too many people buying used Procedes on here so far, and I don't see many on Ebay, so I look at the Procede as the same as the flash, you're not going to get a significant amount of cash out of it, if any, at the end. What I'm trying to get at is that a lot of people are throwing out cash for mods on leased cars, and the parts that Dinan are offering are usually of superior quality (with a warranty), and the price is NOT that much different than the other stuff out there. I'll save my money and patiently wait for the C63 or M3. So many Procede fanboys, and so many Dinan haters...I just like to play devil's advocate!
Well...there's kind of a reason why you don't see many Procedes for sale on ebay...no one is selling them. Demand is far exceding supply (of V2) and people like them, so why sell them? In a few years when people give up their leases or sell the cars, you'll see the piggybacks on fleabay...going for 60-80% of their new cost. Just MHO, but I've seen the same thing happen with the flashes and piggies for the WRX market when I had mine 5 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #79
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:

I'm not sure If I missed something or not, why are you looking for braided hoses?

Secondly, where did you "hear" that AT have a heat exchanger and how is it different than a MT? This is news to me and goes directly against what I have studied. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #80
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post

I'm not sure If I missed something or not, why are you looking for braided hoses?

Secondly, where did you "hear" that AT have a heat exchanger and how is it different than a MT? This is news to me and goes directly against what I have studied. thanks!
i was looking for the size of the fittings to and from the oil cooler for a custom oil project i was working on. I ended up having to buy a new set of lines from a dealer. ($180 each)

the heat exchanger can be found on www.realoem.com the link above will direct you towards it. After some research, i discovered that the heat exchanger is for the transmission in AT cars. the confusion came about because on realoem it states the oil cooler and lines for MT cars only.
Appreciate 0