E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335d gearbox service

03-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Graham1990
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d e92

335d gearbox service

Evening all, Just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere near Andover Hampshire that will do a gearbox oil and filter change on my 335d. I'm after some one that knows what they are doing, Don't want to risk my gearbox so want some one with experience to have a go. Anyone have any recommendations? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

I apologize for not being able to provide specific shops, but really anything transmission speciality shop (does not have to be BMW specific) will do a good job. Just be sure to call ahead and make sure they have the pan filter. This is what I did to my 8 speed ZF and they did a great job.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Graham1990
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d e92

Thanks for the reply, I have tried a few places around the local area and no one has done one before as they all say they are sealed for life and a few of them have said you need specific bmw system to tell the car it's had the work done or something along them lines. I've Never found it so hard to find someone to take my money lol. Maybe that's a good thing 🤑
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1990 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have tried a few places around the local area and no one has done one before as they all say they are sealed for life and a few of them have said you need specific bmw system to tell the car it's had the work done or something along them lines. I've Never found it so hard to find someone to take my money lol. Maybe that's a good thing 🤑
lol.

thats weird.. the transmission shop i did this at said no problem and took my car in right away.

its definitely not a good thing.. the ZF transmission is highly dependent on clean fluid for reliable operation and it is very important that you change the fluid + pan by 60k. I did mine at 67k and it made a huge difference with shift quality. the fluid was very dirty.

just keep searching bro. like i said, if you are at 60k, you are slowly cooking your transmission everytime you drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 335D 2006, F30 335i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1990 View Post
they probably meant reseting the transmission adaptations.. which should be done but shouldnt be too difficult
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

The entire kit is about $175 which includes a new pan + filter. Not a very difficult job, any competent mechanic will be able to handle this. No special adaptations need to be done other, just make sure the tranny goes through a 're-learn'

Get in the car, turn on the ACC and press the gas pedal down for 30 seconds (Make sure you engage the transmission kickdown button below the gas pedal). Release the pedal, turn everything off and wait 2 mins. You'll hear a 'click' and you're done. Transmission adaptation reset.
      03-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
The entire kit is about $175 which includes a new pan + filter. Not a very difficult job, any competent mechanic will be able to handle this. No special adaptations need to be done other, just make sure the tranny goes through a 're-learn'

Get in the car, turn on the ACC and press the gas pedal down for 30 seconds (Make sure you engage the transmission kickdown button below the gas pedal). Release the pedal, turn everything off and wait 2 mins. You'll hear a 'click' and you're done. Transmission adaptation reset.
what happens if you dont to the adaptation reset after the fluid change?

as for the fluid and pan filter change itself, this is true. its really not tough to do..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
what happens if you dont to the adaptation reset after the fluid change?

as for the fluid and pan filter change itself, this is true. its really not tough to do..
No idea, but I doubt it really matters. I find the tranny shifts a bit smoother after an adaptation.
      08-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
Mpow3r_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le mans E90 335d

Afternoon all,

sorry a bit of an old thread revival and maybe hijack but just joined up and have a 335d so was browsing around.

Mines a 56 plate and bought it recently. Have owned a lot of BMW's in the past, mainly E36 Evo's but wanted change so decided to go for a 335d.

Regarding transmission oil changes, mine was owned by a guy who owns and runs a GTR garage and has been very well looked after. I was going through the invoices and I see he did a transmission change at 95K miles (car is at 105K now). Thing is invoice list reads as follows:

CBS Service, Transmission service

7.5L Motul X-Max 0W40 R35 GTR Spec (obviously engine oil and looked it up and its LL01.)
oil/pollen filters
Transmission filter £150
Motul Multi ATF Synthetic (is this ok for out autobox)
brake fluid motul 5.1
rest of list is irrelevant

Gearshifts are fantastic considering its an auto. Obviously wont feel anything like my old M3 Evo's with cable throttle but there is nothing untoward and changes up and down nicely in both manual and auto modes, never slips or jerks. Should I be concerned? Should I remove and put in right spec?

Many thanks

Kash
Appreciate 0