E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF New 7" N54 Intercooler Review

08-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #111
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The 7" is going to have a little more pressure drop across the core but the larger core will allow for more flow/better cooling in the mid-upper rpm range.

I run the 7" core on the shop car with full bolt ons simply because the car makes more power in the upper rpm range with the larger core. I'll take cooler IAT's over marginal pressure drop any day.
What is the pressure drop, .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, .7, .8 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #112
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

My friend ordered one and we're waiting for it to arrive so we can install it. It'll help me decide if I want the same intercooler lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #113
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
So if we raise our prices by $70, we'll qualify for the "quality" bracket huh? If I had known that I would have started at a higher price point!

While I definitely agree with some of your statements, you'd be amazed at how many sources/vendors actually get their products from the same sources we use while charging twice as much. You'd actually be even more amazed at what their intercoolers cost them to make.

Our intercoolers are fabricated by hand using a jig and each one of them is pressure tested to 40psi. We personally inspect each one before boxing/packaging. We've sold several hundred intercoolers utilizing this same fin pack and have quite a few cars pushing over 700whp & running 9 second quarter miles. I really don't mean to come off as arrogant but I think it's safe to say we know what it takes to make a quality intercooler.
They are just haters. You dont have to explain yourself to them. You are taking their business so there upset. Keep up the good work. And let them hate..
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #114
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Hey Tiago still haven't heard from you in a while about the xi Dp's and FMIC. Let me know whenever you get a chance and can update me cause I gotta schedule a time to have it done.
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #115
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

When will return customers get the money credited back to their card? I was told we'd get it once they ship.
      08-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #116
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Waiting on the XI pipes to arrive, not exactly sure why they haven't arrived but I'll figure out why they haven't arrived later tonight.

I apologize for the delay in getting the credit, shoot me your order numbers & I'll get the credit going. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing which are return orders! Just shoot me the order numbers & I'll get you credited
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #117
keendog42
Rep
Drives: 335i

Tiago - I received my intercooler today and had a chance to look it over. I am a manager at one of the largest NDE Inspection companies in the world. We inspect welder qualifications, pipe / tube welds along with many other items and I only have one comment. THANK YOU for offering such a high quality item at a reasonable cost point! I took the DP's that I purchased from you several months ago to my lab to have them inspected and had absolutely no reservations about ordering the intercooler and thus far the results look to be just as promising. There are many times that you get what you pay for but sometimes you just pay for what you get. Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #118
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by keendog42 View Post
Tiago - I received my intercooler today and had a chance to look it over. I am a manager at one of the largest NDE Inspection companies in the world. We inspect welder qualifications, pipe / tube welds along with many other items and I only have one comment. THANK YOU for offering such a high quality item at a reasonable cost point! I took the DP's that I purchased from you several months ago to my lab to have them inspected and had absolutely no reservations about ordering the intercooler and thus far the results look to be just as promising. There are many times that you get what you pay for but sometimes you just pay for what you get. Lol
Wow, that's great to hear! Good job VRSF

And Tiago no problem just let me know whenever you find out. Seeing all these pictures of everything is just making me excited to get mine in and installed
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #119
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Got mine today!!!!!
Installing tomorrow

Thank you sir!

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #120
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keendog42 View Post
Great to hear man, thanks a ton for taking the time to post your experience! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Wow, that's great to hear! Good job VRSF

And Tiago no problem just let me know whenever you find out. Seeing all these pictures of everything is just making me excited to get mine in and installed
Can't wait to get it to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
Got mine today!!!!!
Installing tomorrow

Thank you sir!
Thank you and everyone else who ordered. We greatly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to do business with you!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #121
E3r2E9r
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
So if we raise our prices by $70, we'll qualify for the "quality" bracket huh? If I had known that I would have started at a higher price point!

While I definitely agree with some of your statements, you'd be amazed at how many sources/vendors actually get their products from the same sources we use while charging twice as much. You'd actually be even more amazed at what their intercoolers cost them to make.

Our intercoolers are fabricated by hand using a jig and each one of them is pressure tested to 40psi. We personally inspect each one before boxing/packaging. We've sold several hundred intercoolers utilizing this same fin pack and have quite a few cars pushing over 700whp & running 9 second quarter miles. I really don't mean to come off as arrogant but I think it's safe to say we know what it takes to make a quality intercooler.
I'm not entirely sold but I appreciate your response. I never doubted your intercoolers performance but it would be silly to say your intercooler is of the highest quality standards as humanly possible being produced overseas. Let's face it we all know some pretty looking intercoolers with perfect welds and fins. I know you yourself aren't welding these intercoolers, and I dont believe robots either after seeing some of the weld work. I rather not dive too deeply into pointing out flaws as that is not my intention. One would usually reply they perform well. So great if you are seeking an intercooler that simply performs but may be a little rough on the edges, this is what you get. I've had my fair share of vehicles and understanding of intercoolers, core, and quality too though.

I was merely suggesting to others that are little less educated on the subject that there will be difference in quality and quality control when it comes to products made overseas and made in the USA. Although I'm not saying the USA made products are necessarily perfect but it will cost less to be made overseas and that by no coincidence you can charge less. Long story short some people were hinting that other manufacturers are charging too much for intercoolers but little do they realize where they are made factors a lot into the price as well as the possible attention to detail. I meant it sincerely when I said no disrespect. A budget intercooler should not come as a kick in the teeth either. If it works and is a great price it has high value to people. Other people like high dollar, possibly higher quality, and above all "name brand". That's why the world has options.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #122
badfish718
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F30 335i M-Sport EB2

Installing mine tomorrow as well. A little nervous after the nightmare noob issues I ran into with my DP DIY, but this looks about 10x easier.

So psyched to get this thing in though! Any specific install advice?

Prev:
07 E92 335i Montego/Saddle - Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #123
drm916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Cant wait to see some more datalogging of inlet temps and outlet temps. Hoping someone does some 3 and 4th gear runs. And maybe some 1-5th runs too.

I am very hopefull that this FMIC will perform very similar to the other "name" brand units at half or less of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #124
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
Cant wait to see some more datalogging of inlet temps and outlet temps. Hoping someone does some 3 and 4th gear runs. And maybe some 1-5th runs too.

I am very hopefull that this FMIC will perform very similar to the other "name" brand units at half or less of the cost.
I should be getting mine on Friday and installing within a couple days of that. I will make sure to throw up some logs/pics
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #125
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Got mine yesterday. I can't believe how heavy it is. Welds look solid and the fins are just about perfect.
      08-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #126
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think I'm going to have to wait to install mine. I'm going to give it a try and see if I can get new turbos due to the new wastegate rattle warranty.

That means, taking downpipes off this weekend
      08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #127
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

Exclamation

Quote:
Great to hear man, thanks a ton for taking the time to post your experience! Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with in the future

Can't wait to get it to you!

Thank you and everyone else who ordered. We greatly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to do business with you!
TIAGO,

ANY UPDATES ON 335XI N54 DOWNPIPES?
ANY UPDATES ON 5" IC?

THANKS
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #128
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If there are any tips I can recommend for installation, it's setup the mounting brackets first, then let the intercooler rest on them before screwing in the OEM brackets/screws

Try to use a block of wood or a jack to keep the intercooler level should help as well if you're doing it by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #129
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335(EX)(EYE) View Post
TIAGO,

ANY UPDATES ON 335XI N54 DOWNPIPES?
ANY UPDATES ON 5" IC?

THANKS
Still waiting for the latest sample of the XI dp's to arrive. We had a test sample but our customer that was supposed to test fit ran off with them and refuses to give us any info regarding them.

5" just arrived, waiting for our local customer to come test fit since we can't test fit on our current vehicle (already modified the shroud so can't verify fitment).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #130
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still waiting for the latest sample of the XI dp's to arrive. We had a test sample but our customer that was supposed to test fit ran off with them and refuses to give us any info regarding them.
I THOUGHT A SECOND TESTER WAS LINED UP? IL TEST EM?!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #131
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

5" just arrived, waiting for our local customer to come test fit since we can't test fit on our current vehicle (already modified the shroud so can't verify fitment).
REASLISTICLY WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ETA IS? AND WHAT ABOUT 5" IC?
WILL YOUR UPCOMING EXHAUST FIT XI E90'S?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #132
drm916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335(EX)(EYE) View Post
REASLISTICLY WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ETA IS? AND WHAT ABOUT 5" IC?
WILL YOUR UPCOMING EXHAUST FIT XI E90'S?

I am pretty excited about the 5in core unit. But He said about 60 days. And that was a few days ago.
Appreciate 0