E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 Series To Be Built in US?

03-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #221
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
As long as BMW is still in control of the build quality/quality control, I dont give a shit if the build them on the moon...
That's one way to keep the weight down...
      03-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #222
blk335i08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

I just hope this doesn't happen. I'm American, but I DO NOT want Americans building my cars. There are too many dumb bastards in this country. Americans only care about quantity, not quality. This better not happen. I love BMW too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #223
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Who is the dumbass from Chicago talking about people from North Carolina and how they talk. Does the idiot know the plant is South Carolina, at least we geography in the south do they not teach that in Il. Oh that's right, you elected that shitass president as a senator and your making fun of us. We will all be backrupt thanks to that other asshole from Chicago.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #224
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
As long as BMW is still in control of the build quality/quality control, I dont give a shit if the build them on the moon...
+1! Agreed.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #225
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

we all know that the germans build the best quality cars in the world. Because you never hear about interior rattles, dieing fuel pumps, crappy floor mats, various trim pieces coming loose, broken window switches, steering column lock problems, faulty oil level sensors, laggy program updates, sticky brakes, etc.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #226
MenTul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
2007 X3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
we all know that the germans build the best quality cars in the world. Because you never hear about interior rattles, dieing fuel pumps, crappy floor mats, various trim pieces coming loose, broken window switches, steering column lock problems, faulty oil level sensors, laggy program updates, sticky brakes, etc.

Ahem.. VW reliability???

Nope. The issue is not the american worker, its the current american management environment. US auto CEOs have compensation packages that are multiples of their counterparts around the world yet unflinchingly produce products that are embarassing in quality and design. Why? Because their eyes are on their compensation package rather than the quality of their product.

The successful domestic imports all used their own management and instilled their management culture into US plants. The failure of Daimler Chrysler was because they kept the US leadership.

E90 6MT ZSP ZPP 322 522 LCCZ 688 TTGO730 BLACKLINES
E83 6AT ZSP ZPP 522 508 4AS 191M LUSW A35 NUVI755T BLACKLINES
Donzi ZR
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #227
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Yep. There was even an old 80s movie "Gung Ho" with Michael Keaton that dealt with issues of a Japanese auto company coming to America and how they changed the work ethics of the employees in local plant they took over.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #228
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Who is the dumbass from Chicago talking about people from North Carolina and how they talk.
If that was a question, which usually ends with a question mark here in the North, then that dumbass would be me.

Quote:
Does the idiot know the plant is South Carolina, at least we geography in the south do they not teach that in Il.
I was making the point that Geography is irrelevant when you get to the south; everyone is kissing cousins, you're all directly related, and you're all uniformally pissed over losing the war.

Quote:
Oh that's right, you elected that shitass president as a senator and your making fun of us. We will all be backrupt thanks to that other asshole from Chicago.
I'm not sure what you're saying in this part. The people of Illinois elected him as Senator, but the whole country voted him in as President. FWIW, I voted in the other direction, and I feel his political platform was weak and he hooked the gullible American people on one word without an explanation behind it. "Change." I dislike him because of his policies and the way he manipulated Americans who didn't bother to think for themselves. You dislike him because he's a free man.

I have never heard of anyone going backrupt, so I can't confirm or deny that claim either.

And before any other good 'ol boys jump in and get their panties in a bunch, the comments directed at the South are all in good fun. I lived there for a while, and I can tell you that the stereotypes are not unfounded, but not as rampant as some may think. There are good people down there, there are some open-minded ones, and not everyone is a racist. Some of my best friends in the Corps were from NC, SC, Georgia, and Mississippi. There are idiots and assholes anywhere.

Like Tim said, I don't give a shit what you say about me or where I'm from either. I don't take silly posts on some forum on the internet too seriously. Neither should you.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #229
EMG E92
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

if they begin production here, does that mean the price of the car will have a lower msrp?

Freelance SEO
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #230
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Just an add on the ONLY reason I would care if they made them in the US would be no more ED on the 3 series. But I assume the M's will still be made in Germany so I could go that route.
I don't believe they will end ED on the 3 series. As of now they already build the 3er over several plants. Adding 1 to the US will just add another to the list. Yes it will likely supply most of the dealerships on hand supply, but if you order a car to spec you will likely be able to choose which plant builds the car, it would just be your choice to wait longer if necessary. You're able to do that now between Germany and South Africa.

You have to remember the 3er is BMW's most popular car around the world. The X3, X5 and X6 are pretty much built for the American public so it makes sense to build them here. The Z is a more specialty car so it doesn't really matter where it's built. The 3er needs multiple plants to keep up with production and keep costs down.

ED will not end. They just dropped major coin on the Welt Center. To cut that off to Americans only a few years after opening would be the more absurd business move on BMW's part considering the 3er is the main ED car for us Americans.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #231
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG E92 View Post
if they begin production here, does that mean the price of the car will have a lower msrp?
I would seriously doubt it. If anything, it may help their profit margin, but I would be surprised if they even made an effort to pass the savings on to customers. If they did start building the 3 here, it would only support a fraction of total 3er production anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #232
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, 6 Speed, Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Then you should take your whole car apart. It would be a better use of your time.
This post should go on FOREVER!! Who stole me gold?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #233
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Frankly, I'd rather have a Friday-afternoon car from US workers than from German workers.
      03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #234
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy99 View Post
They should be built in Japan, maybe quality will improve...
......................because Mitsu's cars made in japan, or nissans are of excellent quality..................not, cough cough.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #235
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos View Post
Frankly, I'd rather have a Friday-afternoon car from US workers than from German workers.
Silly monkey, German workers don't work on Friday afternoons, everyone knows that............

The Japanese manufacturers have shown that with proper manufacturing equipment and methods, the US worker can make cars of excellent world quality.

The European maufacturers who manufacture here have, after an initial period of adjustment, done very well and produce high quality SUVs and cars here (Mercedes with the M and G line, BMW with the X5, soon X3 and previously the Z line).

VW has shown that when the corporate will is not there, even German workers can make clunkers, as VWs build in Germany had piss-poor build quality that made ven the Germans cringe (issues which are being addressed with the current generation Golf etc).

So the issue of building here from a quality perspective is a non-issue.

If you really want a car that is made in Germany, fine, that is a personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #236
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

I co-run the North American arm of a German company that manufactures and develops industrial automation solutions. Friday afternoon (which is Friday morning here), if we need anything taken care of, the only thing we can be assured of is that they won't be in their offices, or if they are, we will get ignored or bounced around by everyone who doesn't want to deal with us. I always plan for our interactions on Friday to be a wash so that we don't get screwed over.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #237
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm with you.

In fact, you may be on to something, since building them on the Moon would make them lighter.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #238
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, I wonder why GM, Ford, and Chrysler are on the brink of filing for bankruptcy. It must be the high quality cars that they build.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #239
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeleung View Post
Hmmm, I wonder why GM, Ford, and Chrysler are on the brink of filing for bankruptcy. It must be the high quality cars that they build.
No, actually it's because they're corporate sloths and they pump a lot of money into making products that aren't necessarily bad; it's just that they're building stuff that people don't want.

They're 3-5 years behind on everything. Look at the Camaro for Chrissakes. Old GM would say 2010 manufacture startup for the Volt, and we would actually not see it go into production until 2013-2015. "New" GM needs to make good on that promise and release it ASAP. They need to start moving at a decent pace to keep up with the market; something they haven't done in the past.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #240
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep

It took the Big 3 decades to get to where they are now. I really doubt there is anything they can do now to change their fate. I really hate to see the Viper go, but it is just a waste of taxpayers' money to bail these remarkable (sarcasm) automakers out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #241
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Build quality is mostly affected by the design of the product and the planning of the production floor and less by the actual workers. A well set up factory in US producing a properly designed automobile will work. Big Three's problem aren't the actual workers but the financial restrictions they have in investing into R&D and production line improvements. Which essentialy begins at the head of the company.
      03-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #242
answerman
Rep
Drives: 2009 328iX wagon

Back to the future? The SC palnt was built to make 3's. First car off the line is in the SC State Museum; 3-series coupe (325?).
Appreciate 0