E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

04-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #265
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natef53 View Post
You beautiful bastard.

The mic doesn't work so I need to check the wiring but I am able to pair the phone now!

Thanks!
Glad to have helped!

Quote:
Going to be that double posting guy right now, sorry.

I just tore everything apart and triple checked the wiring for the mic. I've got the "sheath" of wires behind the glovebox with the yellow, black, and clear matched up on the connector. I've taped off the unused connectors.

I checked the reconfigured blue connector for the MULF2, everything is exactly as the guide says.

I also checked for the mic, even though I know its there because voice commands worked previously, all is well there.

Is there anything else that I could be missing to get the mic working?

Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice!
You could try wiring it back the way it was, but also pop the trunk and verify the wires exist in the MULF header - I've seen cases where they don't, and we just ran a new cable.
      05-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #266
Natef53
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Glad to have helped!

You could try wiring it back the way it was, but also pop the trunk and verify the wires exist in the MULF header - I've seen cases where they don't, and we just ran a new cable.
I tried to move the wires behind the glovebox to their original locations, no go.

When you say verify the wires exist in the MULF header, I moved the mic wires from the white connector that was plugged in to the MULF originally to the blue connector (pins 1,19,21). The sheath looks like the same one I was using behind the glovebox.

Running a new cable wouldn't be a terrible option if I just have to run it from the MULF to the mic in the headliner. I saw your post somewhere else about building a cable, could you provide any details on the install / building of the cable?

Thanks again for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #267
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I tried to move the wires behind the glovebox to their original locations, no go.

When you say verify the wires exist in the MULF header, I moved the mic wires from the white connector that was plugged in to the MULF originally to the blue connector (pins 1,19,21). The sheath looks like the same one I was using behind the glovebox.

Running a new cable wouldn't be a terrible option if I just have to run it from the MULF to the mic in the headliner. I saw your post somewhere else about building a cable, could you provide any details on the install / building of the cable?

Thanks again for your help!
I'm not sure what you mean by white and blue connector, there's only one large harness that plugs into your MULF, right? Should be pins 1/19/21 on that.

Running a new cable is a bit of a PITA, but not the worst. I can do it in 30m or so now that I've done it a few times. You need to pull down the headliner (two screws in the sun visors), A pillar trim (one screw and some clips), fish the cable through the dash (easy with a hangar or some steel wire), left side driver footwell trim (one screw on the hood release), driver door scuff plate (just some clips), B pillar trim (clips), back driver's side scuff plate (clips), then some seat trim around the C pillar (remove the back seat, remove the seat back [2 big torx] remove the trim [clips]). Just zip tie to the existing wiring harness.

The cable itself is pretty straightforward - I've been making them by buying some shielded twisted pair 24ga wire on ebay, the Mic side connector can be made with 3 positions of breakaway .1" female pin header and some shrink tube, then on the other end crimp on 3 pin contacts. The part is TE Connectivity 963726-1, I got them from Mouser but it looks like they're not distributing them anymore, Newark has them cheap http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...0120425_buyNow

I've also made cables for a bunch of people if you don't want to spend the time, though I charge more for the time and shipping. PM me if you want to go that route.

Have you already got the bluetooth antenna taken care of?
      05-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #268
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Does anyone know of a way I can get the coding done for this in Boston?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #269
rrlamichhane
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Can I pay someone to do all this? I hate messing around with cars, and I want integrated bluetooth music in my 2008 335ic.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #270
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrlamichhane View Post
Can I pay someone to do all this? I hate messing around with cars, and I want integrated bluetooth music in my 2008 335ic.
You might want to post in the regional subforum. If you were in LA, I'd certainly be willing to help :P