E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Door Handle Lights

02-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
LeonardBMW
1Addict Lets MOD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i E82

Garage List
E90 Door Handle Lights

The lights which i've researched to be called puddle lights (not 100% on that) Are extremely dim and essentially serve no purpose. Every door has them and they slightly illuminate underneath the handle. Not like pictures i've googled. I would have never even noticed them except I was repairing my door handles from being stuck open. Anyone have information regarding these lights?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardBMW View Post
The lights which i've researched to be called puddle lights (not 100% on that) Are extremely dim and essentially serve no purpose. Every door has them and they slightly illuminate underneath the handle. Not like pictures i've googled. I would have never even noticed them except I was repairing my door handles from being stuck open. Anyone have information regarding these lights?
My door handle lights are very noticible when I'm approaching my car in a dark parking lot and I hit my unlock button. They have never saved the day by helping me to grab the handle when it's dark, but it definetly has the wow factor with females. Woman always comment on them and are very fascinated. Most keep commenting even after seeing them numerous times. They even laugh at themselves at the effects those lights have on them especially when I point out that those lights should be rated lower when it comes to the big picture of BMW technology and advancement that my car has.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
acherion
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 323i Touring

I have the same lights under my door handles (the end part, not the handle part). They are a gimmick in my opinion, but they came with the car (I bought my E91 second hand).

I always thought puddle lights were the lights that were in the interior door that light up when you open and swing your door out.

My door handle lights look like they are ultra-bright LEDs, whereas my puddle lights (interior door ones) are incandescent yellow.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Who knows who makes brighter lights?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
LeonardBMW
1Addict Lets MOD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC View Post
My door handle lights are very noticible when I'm approaching my car in a dark parking lot and I hit my unlock button. They have never saved the day by helping me to grab the handle when it's dark, but it definetly has the wow factor with females. Woman always comment on them and are very fascinated. Most keep commenting even after seeing them numerous times. They even laugh at themselves at the effects those lights have on them especially when I point out that those lights should be rated lower when it comes to the big picture of BMW technology and advancement that my car has.
Gota love the wow factor! thanks for reply
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
fazi13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Manual

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
you could buy an interior LED replacement kit, I saw a video on this once and I believe you can remove all the lights by sticking a credit card under and prying them out. The Bimmian kit is $50 I believe, not sure which exact lights it'll include but the description says all interior lighting. http://www.bimmian.com/Interior-Xeno...om-bimmian.com
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
LeonardBMW
1Addict Lets MOD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acherion View Post
I have the same lights under my door handles (the end part, not the handle part). They are a gimmick in my opinion, but they came with the car (I bought my E91 second hand).

I always thought puddle lights were the lights that were in the interior door that light up when you open and swing your door out.

My door handle lights look like they are ultra-bright LEDs, whereas my puddle lights (interior door ones) are incandescent yellow.
Thats where mine are located as well. Someone mentioned to be that it could be the footwell module. I cannot specifically speak to that claim however, I may unfortunately...ask the dealer when i take the car in next whenever that will be. Its just hard to imagine that they were designed to be as dim as they are and only light up slightly. Gimmick.. maybe. But I like it enough to pursue the answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #8
LeonardBMW
1Addict Lets MOD!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazi13 View Post
you could buy an interior LED replacement kit, I saw a video on this once and I believe you can remove all the lights by sticking a credit card under and prying them out. The Bimmian kit is $50 I believe, not sure which exact lights it'll include but the description says all interior lighting. http://www.bimmian.com/Interior-Xeno...om-bimmian.com
Bimmian.com has some great stuff! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC View Post
This can't be serious.

Back to the subject, I would like to code my door handle lights to illuminate like the F30 while in reverse. If possible, anyone able point me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
M3ighty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicem3 View Post
This can't be serious.

Back to the subject, I would like to code my door handle lights to illuminate like the F30 while in reverse. If possible, anyone able point me in the right direction?

Have you ever figured it out? Not sure if its possible for the e9X.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

You can upgrade your puddle lights easily, with a whole housing LED replacement, or just a canbus LED bulb replacement.

+5 to zombie resurrect thread skill BTW
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

If you are barely seeing them you have an issue. My lady friend's garage has no windows at all, at night you can't see your hand in front of your face. I can hit my unlock button and light 2/3rds of the garage with my door handles, it was great in winter not having to open the garage door until I was in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardBMW View Post
+1; even dudes like them lol
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Mine are very bright and I never went after market
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

LED emitter technology improved drastically between 2006 and 2011, and it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that BMW used progressively brighter LEDs as they became available. On my 2011 the door handle lights are very bright and provide a crisp, pure white light that is almost perfect in how evenly it is distributed down the side of the car. I have aftermarket LED puddle lights under the doors but never had an issue with the OE halogens.
Appreciate 0