E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Wheel alignment - BMW dealership or other place?

04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
zybar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Garage List
Dropped my car off at BMW of Sudbury (where I purchased it) this morning. They are charging $139 for a full alignment. I couldn't get them to cover it even though I only have around 6600 miles on the car. They said they only cover if 2k or less miles.

I did talk briefly with one of the mechanics and he commented that the wheels and tires looked pretty big. I assured him that they were BMW wheels and that there was no rubbing or issues.

I will report back on how things go.

George
18" Apex ARC-8 wheels + Michelin Pilot Super Sports
18" Apex ARC-7 wheels + Michelin Alpin PA4
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
dave96dcm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Tires looked big? I'd go to a different mechanic lol. Tire and wheel size have nothing to do with the alignment as long as they are not bent. Take a look under the hood after the alignment, if the factory alignment pin is still in the strut hat get your money back.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
zybar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave96dcm View Post
Tires looked big? I'd go to a different mechanic lol. Tire and wheel size have nothing to do with the alignment as long as they are not bent. Take a look under the hood after the alignment, if the factory alignment pin is still in the strut hat get your money back.

Dave,

Where exactly should I be looking?

I have the car back and the pull to the right has definitely been rectified and the car is running straight.

George
18" Apex ARC-8 wheels + Michelin Pilot Super Sports
18" Apex ARC-7 wheels + Michelin Alpin PA4
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #26
dave96dcm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Upper strut mount should only have three nuts, no more pin.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #27
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

I went to Import Auto Werks this past weekend to get my new Conti DWS tires mounted and balanced onto my new Forgestar F14's.

Have been noticing a slight shake/vibration when I slow down and a little more when I hit the brakes. I called the shop and to my dismay they assumed it was the brakes. Altho, this never happened before the new setup and the rear brakes got replaced just 5k miles ago. Alvin said to come in and he will test drive it to see. Any speculations as to what it could be?
      05-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
dave96dcm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If it's only when you touch the brake pedal it's the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave96dcm View Post
If it's only when you touch the brake pedal it's the brakes.
No, I tend to feel it when I left off the throttle and coast for a while. I can feel a little shaking coming from the back I think.. Seems to deteriorate slightly when I apply the brakes.
      08-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #30
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to update it with current 2015 pricing. I hang out on Zpost, but I found this post through a google search. I just called BMW Sudbury for an alignment on my 2004 Z4 and they quoted me $170 for an alignment. The service rep also said there's no guarantees he'll be able to get it back to spec since my car is lowered. I ended up making an appointment with Village European in Concord because they said they work on quite a few BMW track cars. The $150 he quoted me seemed fair too. I can update this post again for the local Sudbury/Concord folk after my appointment if interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
FastTrack or Autobahn Performance in Peabody. Had alignments done at both. No issues with being lowered, and was able to cater to custom requests for camber. Forgot pricing, but solid places if you're modified.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #32
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

My friend just went to FastTrack last week with a lowered A6. $99.95 was what he told me and the owner usually does the alignments and will cater to what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #33
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etek View Post
My friend just went to FastTrack last week with a lowered A6. $99.95 was what he told me and the owner usually does the alignments and will cater to what you're looking for.
That's not a bad price. Turner Motorsports recommended FastTrak for an alignment after they install my Koni/Eibach combo next Monday. I wasn't sure if I would have enough time to get over there before they close, so I scheduled my alignment for the next morning at a place closer to where I live in Sudbury.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #34
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to update it with current 2015 pricing. I hang out on Zpost, but I found this post through a google search. I just called BMW Sudbury for an alignment on my 2004 Z4 and they quoted me $170 for an alignment. The service rep also said there's no guarantees he'll be able to get it back to spec since my car is lowered. I ended up making an appointment with Village European in Concord because they said they work on quite a few BMW track cars. The $150 he quoted me seemed fair too. I can update this post again for the local Sudbury/Concord folk after my appointment if interested.
Let me know about your Village European experience. Every time I go they make a point the write in large letters I have a "DIRTY AFTERMARKET HOT AIR INTAKE". Pricey but them seem to do good work.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #35
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Let me know about your Village European experience. Every time I go they make a point the write in large letters I have a "DIRTY AFTERMARKET HOT AIR INTAKE". Pricey but them seem to do good work.
I just got done with my alignment and they got everything squared away in about 1.5 hours. Everyone seemed knowledgeable and the facilities were very clean. On my invoice they wrote down in large letters "CUSTOMER WOULD BENEFIT FROM CHANGING RUN FLATS IN TERMS OF NOISE AND RIDE COMFORT" which I agree with. I'm down to 4/32" tread, so it's almost time for some Super Sports.

Do you live in the area? What type of work have you used them for? I'm looking for a new shop because yesterday's drive from Sudbury to Amesbury (Turner) to Boston (for work), back to Amesbury then to Sudbury took me nearly 5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #36
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I just got done with my alignment and they got everything squared away in about 1.5 hours. Everyone seemed knowledgeable and the facilities were very clean. On my invoice they wrote down in large letters "CUSTOMER WOULD BENEFIT FROM CHANGING RUN FLATS IN TERMS OF NOISE AND RIDE COMFORT" which I agree with. I'm down to 4/32" tread, so it's almost time for some Super Sports.

Do you live in the area? What type of work have you used them for? I'm looking for a new shop because yesterday's drive from Sudbury to Amesbury (Turner) to Boston (for work), back to Amesbury then to Sudbury took me nearly 5 hours.
I live 10m down the street from them in Acton. I had them do injectors on my wife's car when we only had 2 vehicles and I had to get it up and running fast. They also changed my oil, a control arm, and an alignment when I was in MN for work for a week+. They washed my car for me which was nice and then explained to me that I am not a true enthusiast as I let them was my car for me. They then kicked me in the nuts and sent me on my way for being a cuckold.

They always give me shit about my intake which pisses me off. Next time I am in i'm going to educate.

Over all I like them. Not the least expensive but I know the work they do is quality. The same guy owns that shop that owns the Benz Den where my buddy is a mechanic.

Hadley
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #37
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live 10m down the street from them in Acton. I had them do injectors on my wife's car when we only had 2 vehicles and I had to get it up and running fast. They also changed my oil, a control arm, and an alignment when I was in MN for work for a week+. They washed my car for me which was nice and then explained to me that I am not a true enthusiast as I let them was my car for me. They then kicked me in the nuts and sent me on my way for being a cuckold.

They always give me shit about my intake which pisses me off. Next time I am in i'm going to educate.

Over all I like them. Not the least expensive but I know the work they do is quality. The same guy owns that shop that owns the Benz Den where my buddy is a mechanic.

Hadley
Thanks, I think I'll give them a shot for my next routine maintenance. BTW, this post explains a lot. Your inquiries yesterday were a bit creepy, but it all makes sense now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #38
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks, I think I'll give them a shot for my next routine maintenance. BTW, this post explains a lot. Your inquiries yesterday were a bit creepy, but it all makes sense now.
They were continuation of an ongoing joke between a few forum members. The guy who works on the BMWs was a BMW master tech and has a supercharged silver M3. I worked next to him for 5 years at a previous job. He knows his shit for the most part. I think they also race prep a few bmws.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #39
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They were continuation of an ongoing joke between a few forum members. The guy who works on the BMWs was a BMW master tech and has a supercharged silver M3. I worked next to him for 5 years at a previous job. He knows his shit for the most part. I think they also race prep a few bmws.
Does the M3 have a Dinan emblem on it? I saw him throwing his trash out in the dumpster this morning in the parking lot (really random).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #40
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Does the M3 have a Dinan emblem on it? I saw him throwing his trash out in the dumpster this morning in the parking lot (really random).
Yup, that is the one.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #41
hectic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Just adding my experience with Fastrack in Peabody. Hadley told me to go there for my alignment. They ended up only getting the rears in the green (still had inside camber wear) and leaving the fronts in the red (horrendous inside camber wear). When I asked why they didn't align the fronts in the green, they said that's the closest they can do for the fronts. My car is lowered on KW V1s xdrive model. I need another alignment now, and I think I'll give the European place off Rte 2 a shot. But did they remove your front alignment pins to get the fronts in spec Twixboy ? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #42
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectic View Post
Just adding my experience with Fastrack in Peabody. Hadley told me to go there for my alignment. They ended up only getting the rears in the green (still had inside camber wear) and leaving the fronts in the red (horrendous inside camber wear). When I asked why they didn't align the fronts in the green, they said that's the closest they can do for the fronts. My car is lowered on KW V1s xdrive model. I need another alignment now, and I think I'll give the European place off Rte 2 a shot. But did they remove your front alignment pins to get the fronts in spec Twixboy ? Thanks for your help.
Tell them the helmuth sent you the guy with the white and blue 335i cars.

I don't see why it can't be aligned correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #43
hectic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Quote:
Tell them the helmuth sent you the guy with the white and blue 335i cars.

I don't see why it can't be aligned correctly.
That's what I was saying to myself. Did they remove your alignment pins from the top hat? I've seen through the forums that ppl remove them to adjust camber. I should have removed them myself when I installed the KW V1s
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #44
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectic View Post
No idea what an alignment pin is, that's why I took it to a shop Is this something the shop should remove when performing an alignment and then put back after the alignment, or is it removed permanently to achieve a certain camber for lowered cars?

I wanted everything in spec and I don't have that much of a drop. The Eibachs only dropped me 0.75" in the rear and 0.25" in the front even though they advertise a 1.2" drop. With KW V1s maybe its a good thing to be in the red if you want an aggressive setup for track use?

I forget if I already said this earlier, but this is a E85 Z4 with Koni shocks and Eibach springs (the stock M sport suspension was shared w/the E36 M3). Here's a shot of my alignment report:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0