E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Blaupunkt Plug'N'Play Amp install.....

09-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #309
nmf69
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Have you got a link for the speakers??

I had them with a Deutsch supplier but that link is at work and I can't find them again.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170691

http://www.audio-system.de/english/index.html
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #310
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

hey! does anybody know if i can make this upgrade _IF_ as in now. i have the orignl system? the business stereo and the system that really sucks?

i already ordered a new headunit, a BMW Pro stereo. ATM i do not have a amplifier installed, and the subs underneith the seats pretty much sucks. and on the other hand, i pretty much suck at doing this kind of workm but with the help of this guide it might be possible. but what do i actually need except new mid subwoofers and L7 tweeters? please help a noob, im tired of googling and searching the forum for the right asnwer.

btw, its a 320i -05 E90

ps. without modifying the car. it has to be a way to make it go back to normal. so no new cutting in the car, just wiring wires is okay and installing the amp in the back seat. but no cutting for the speakers

Last edited by piggelin; 10-14-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #311
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

You just need the 'plug'n'play bmw harness' from Blaupunkt and the amp.

2 channel is you just want to upgrade it all in one go and leave the factory subs in there, or the 5 channel if you want to upgrade the subs as well.

The other option is the bmw alpine upgrade, see the thread in the UK technical section.

You obviously need to order new tweeters and trim from bmw as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #312
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You just need the 'plug'n'play bmw harness' from Blaupunkt and the amp.

2 channel is you just want to upgrade it all in one go and leave the factory subs in there, or the 5 channel if you want to upgrade the subs as well.

The other option is the bmw alpine upgrade, see the thread in the UK technical section.

You obviously need to order new tweeters and trim from bmw as well.
so you just think i should upgrade to the alpine upgrade and then add the blaupunkt amp and the subs?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #313
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You do either the Alpine or the Blaupunkt.

The other option is Vibe now have an amp that is Class GH, and will turn on when it senses the head units IC chip turning on, so when you wake the car up by unlocking it, so there is no delay like there is with the alpine or blaupunkt.

You would just copy the wiring diagrams from the Alpine upgrade but use the Vibe instead, it will deliver 120watts rms into the oem subs, mids and L7 tweeters.

I am just about to do this myself, so I will report back.

The amp is also tiny, plus it has a few nice features, you can daisy chain another one to it, and use the remote signal from the first amp to turn on a second, so if you want to add subs you can easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #314
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

The other option is Vibe now have an amp that is Class GH, and will turn on when it senses the head units IC chip turning on, so when you wake the car up by unlocking it, so there is no delay like there is with the alpine or blaupunkt.

You would just copy the wiring diagrams from the Alpine upgrade but use the Vibe instead, it will deliver 120watts rms into the oem subs, mids and L7 tweeters.

The amp is also tiny, plus it has a few nice features, you can daisy chain another one to it, and use the remote signal from the first amp to turn on a second, so if you want to add subs you can easily.

You could also take a remote-on signal from a 12V MOST power terminal in the multi-block that plugs into the iDrive or Professional radio - I can't remember which terminal it is, I'll have to dig it out... I used that terminal to switch on the amps and DSP unit in the back of my car, so when the car unlocks and the MOST bus powers up, the amps etc power up with it...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #315
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Oh yeah, dig that out would you!!

Here is the Litebox Stereo 2 amp next to the oem bluetooth module....

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #316
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Will do!

TBH I've never been a fan of Class D or Class G amps when used full-range - they've always sounded so cold and unmusical... Class D amps on subs however are fantastic because of the amount of control over the speaker they can muster (obviously there are good'uns and bad'uns alike!)

I'm using two Genesis Dual Mono amps in my car, one powering a set of high-end 4" Rainbow CS210 Profi components in the front, and the other powering a brace of Earthquake SWS-8 2ohm subs underneath the seats. Speaker-level output from the iDrive ProNav into a Rockford 360 DSP unit. All wired up using Chord Company cables

Just had Anil from CCA in Romford relocate the tweeters to custom pods he made on top of the dash by the A pillar, and the amps placed under the floor in the boot.

Needs a little refining, but already sounds epic!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #317
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I must admit, I'm not a fan either always use Genesis, but tried the Blaupunkt and was quite surprised, but it is a fun system, not an audiophile system.

I reckon I will end up with the Litebox Stereo 2 doing a pair of earthquakes and an ST100 driving some Morel 4" Hyrbids, but I am going to try the Litebox driving the oem speakers so I can give a report on them/it.

It has had some good reviews, very good. I always thought of Vibe as a Halfords brand, but then that is me being a badge snob I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #318
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I must admit, I'm not a fan either always use Genesis, but tried the Blaupunkt and was quite surprised, but it is a fun system, not an audiophile system.

I reckon I will end up with the Litebox Stereo 2 doing a pair of earthquakes and an ST100 driving some Morel 4" Hyrbids, but I am going to try the Litebox driving the oem speakers so I can give a report on them/it.

It has had some good reviews, very good. I always thought of Vibe as a Halfords brand, but then that is me being a badge snob I guess.
I've always thought of Vibe as being the same as well... guess both of us are badge snobs!! ST100 Genesis is a great amp - should power the Morels well. One thing though - the mirror locations for tweeters is really really crap. It's sooo hard to get good staging from there, and plus the amount of wind rush behind the tweeter from the rubber seal on the door destroys what image there might be. If you want to remain stock looking, that's the only option, but I would really suggest you consider a small A-pillar build or pod just for the tweeters.

By the way, why don't you try the Genesis 4 Channel to power the entire system? It performs pretty much as well as a Stereo 100, but will also give you two good channels for the Earthquakes. The 4 Channel is 2ohm stable as well, so you could get the SWS-8 2ohm speakers for a bit more punch and drive
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:51 AM   #319
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep

so basicly, if i install the alpine upgrade, i have to change the amp to the blaupunkt. am i wrong?

my plan was to buy the kit, install the tweeters, change the mid elements in front, install tweeters and install the amp.

later i was thinking about adding: EARTHQUAKE SWS-8, or Pioneer TS-SW841D.

without adding anything. and later on connect the blaupunkt amp.

OR

i buy the blaupunkt amp now, install it. add L7 tweeters, and installing two subs under the seat.

but shouldnt i change speakers in the car? i dont want shi*ty originals, i want good sound

and in that case what kind of speakers should i buy? that will fit in the car .

and wich one of theese two is best:
EARTHQUAKE SWS-8, or Pioneer TS-SW841D ?

should i do the alpine, or the blaupunkt? and if i should do the blaupunkt. what kind of speakers, tweeters and subs should i buy?

sorry for my english
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #320
nmf69
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 320d

Quote:

Hi gIzzE,

You mean like the amp goes on the same as the Blaupunkt? It "fells" it through the speakers cables, so actually you could use the Blaupunkt harness...am I wright?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #321
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

No I mean the Vibe amp would wire up like on the alpine install.

You could take the feed from the door sill, add a cable to the hi level input on teh amp and then another one back to feed the speaker at that same point.

Just as easy as the Alpine install.

I would run another cable there as well just in case you felt the need to add better subs at a later date, the time consuming bit is done then.

Tone, I agree about the tweeters, I ended up using the DLS tweeter housing in there with them facing toward the dash, even that made a huge difference.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #322
bdwuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 330d (08)

Need some basic advice

Hi,

Everything on here is clearly great advice however I'm still a little unsure of what the best / recomended action should be.

I have just changed my 08e93 for an 08 92. From a stereo perspective the difference is amazing (e92 so much better than e93 which was the worse stereo I've ever had in a car!) however both have standard speakers and the only difference is the E92 has prof nav. Can someone advise if that Blaupunkt amp upgrade is still worthwhile on it's own if you have the prof nav ? I presume the prof nav has a lot more power output than that standard stereo hence the improvement ?

I'm a little unsure of doing the tweeter upgrade as I'm very particular about rattles and would only be happy if I got BMW to do this.

If the Blaupunkt upgrade isn't worthwhile would the alpine upgrade add anything to the system other than tweeters ? appreciate there is the amp but wondered what the step change is bearing in mind the extra output from the prof nav.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #323
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwuk View Post
If the Blaupunkt upgrade isn't worthwhile would the alpine upgrade add anything to the system other than tweeters ? appreciate there is the amp but wondered what the step change is bearing in mind the extra output from the prof nav.

Many thanks
OK, well I have the E92 with Prof Nav and have recently had the Alpine upgrade done.
I think the biggest difference is with the tweeters, but the Alpine has also awoken the subwoofers from their deep sleep. That's because the Alpine powers the subs directly from the amp. Whereas in the standard set up, they are powered from the head unit itself.
Step change? Well, let's say the standard E92 set up scores 40%, with a proper audiophile set up (see E92/Tony's description) as 100%. I'd put the E92 + Alpine set up at around 70%. The bass, in particular, is still rather subdued for my taste. Mind you, I'm used to a decent hi-fi at home, with a fantastic REL subwoofer........not a fair comparison of course.

I'd say the Alpine is good value, especially if you can fit it yourself, but will leave you a little underwhelmed if you're really into hi-fi. For me, the big plus is that it is effectively an OEM upgrade, very important when it comes time to sell the car.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #324
bdwuk
Registered
Rep

Thanks really appreciate the reply. Sounds like it's worthwhile so I'll be booking it in at BMW. If the alpine amp will improve the subs from where they are now that should be enough for me !
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #325
bdwuk
Registered
Rep

Actually, forgot to add I used to fit stereos on my cars when younger, the cars were cheaper and it was good fun. Now I'm a little older I'm not keen on pulling the doors apart and getting a rattle !! Can anyone recomend a good ice installer in Essex region, Chelmsford / Brentwood ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #326
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
One question i havent seen answered yet- does the Blaupunkt 555 amp fit in slot where the OEM amp goes in the boot?

regards,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #327
USAman
Private
Rep
Drives: car

Does anyone have any links to places stocking the BMW/Blaupunkt wiring harness' in the UK?

I've searched this thread and a few big name companies, but found nothing!

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #328
USAman
Private
Rep
Drives: car

Having done some fairly major ICE installs in past cars, I'm just toying with the best and most simply way forward for my new bmw.

Does anyone have any high res pictures of the connection side of the amp? Both with the loom all plugged in and without?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #329
harmzz
Rep
Drives: E60

hey guys whats the best settings on the amp, also is it normal to be running very hot?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #330
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I can only run mine at low volumes! I get a strange burning smell if i turn up volume too loud ;( I think it is todo with me having the 4 channel Amp and I have the Subs, Door Speakers & Tweeters connected to the fron channel, this makes the load drop below 2ohms!
Appreciate 0