E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb AP - does it adjust boost when engine is cold?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Cobb - adjusts boost when engine cold? And 535 vs. 335 maps

I figured I'd ask here rather than by emailing them directly, as I didn't see the info on the forums, and I thought others might be interested as well.

I know the Procede doesn't build boost to the max until the engine is warmed up a bit. Does the Cobb flash do that too?

Also, out of curiosity, why is it that the Typical Performance Gains for the 335 Stage 1 are: +30% Peak HP & +38% Peak TQ, but for the 535 are just +19.2% Peak HP & +30.5% Peak TQ?

Is it because the 535 doesn't have an oil cooler (I'm guessing...)?

I don't think the Procede unit's maps (in terms of power) are different for the 535, are they? Anyone know?

Last edited by Glowin; 02-01-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
133
Rep
5,047
Posts

Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

iTrader: (1)

The program does everything the OEM software does, as it is built around it.

Many 335s dont have oil coolers, they are not really necessary unless tracking.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
secretsquirrel
Colonel
secretsquirrel's Avatar
51
Rep
2,216
Posts

Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
The program does everything the OEM software does, as it is built around it.
So does that mean it does or it doesn't?

I'm not sure, but I don't think the factory settings disable boost when the engine is warm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
128
Rep
6,632
Posts

Drives: '16 MK7 GTI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
It doesn't have the cold oil protection of the piggybacks if that is what you're asking.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
BobS
Lieutenant Colonel
BobS's Avatar
46
Rep
1,987
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ

iTrader: (0)

You shouldn't drive the car hard until normal operating temps are reached anyway.
__________________

ESS 625 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
zeenon53
Major
zeenon53's Avatar
16
Rep
1,082
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: obx

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
You shouldn't drive the car hard until normal operating temps are reached anyway.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
RambleJ
Colonel
RambleJ's Avatar
No_Country
45
Rep
2,014
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
You shouldn't drive the car hard until normal operating temps are reached anyway.
+1, It's common sense really.
But I am curious as to why the 535 power increase is soo low.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
113
Rep
7,383
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

yeah tell that to my GF... thank god Procede doesnt boost when cold.
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
17
Rep
468
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

The stock ECU does limit torque when the motor is cold.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
secretsquirrel
Colonel
secretsquirrel's Avatar
51
Rep
2,216
Posts

Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
yeah tell that to my GF... .
Or valet guys...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
The stock ECU does limit torque when the motor is cold.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob, I'll take that to mean then that by extension, your flash would also do so? Do you alter the temp at which full boost is reached? The temp at which the ECU may allow you to reach full boost stock I thought might need to be increased when one is dealing with double the boost?

.
But what about this question of mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Also, out of curiosity, why is it that the Typical Performance Gains for the 335 Stage 1 are: +30% Peak HP & +38% Peak TQ, but for the 535 are just +19.2% Peak HP & +30.5% Peak TQ?

Is it because the 535 doesn't have an oil cooler (I'm guessing...)?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Bump... Would love to hear from Cobb on why the 535 are neutered so much vs. the 335 maps.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
11
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Bump... Would love to hear from Cobb on why the 535 are neutered so much vs. the 335 maps.
Look at their stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
Look at their stock exhaust
It would make that much of a difference (30% increase in 335 vs. only 20% in 535)?

How come Shiv's maps are all the same for the 1/3/5 series then? I wonder what the downside would be, if any, by going with the Procede maps on the 535, if there truly are technical reasons why that much more HP isn't a good idea for the 535? More knock?

For a potential 535 customer, it's hard to pass up the Procede gains and go with the AP... If they were equal, at least, that would be good.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #15
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
11
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
It would make that much of a difference (30% increase in 335 vs. only 20% in 535)?

How come Shiv's maps are all the same for the 1/3/5 series then? I wonder what the downside would be, if any, by going with the Procede maps on the 535, if there truly are technical reasons why that much more HP isn't a good idea for the 535? More knock?

For a potential 535 customer, it's hard to pass up the Procede gains and go with the AP... If they were equal, at least, that would be good.
That would be a Shiv question. The difference can also be attributed to dyno, engine or weather differences. The basline dyno on the 535 was lower than the 335, maybe there is additional factors that account for this. Its quite obvious that the 5 series exhaust is not as free flowing as the 335.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
17
Rep
468
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Bump... Would love to hear from Cobb on why the 535 are neutered so much vs. the 335 maps.
The tunes are the same between the 135/335/535 given the similarity of parts. The 535i that we had access to simply made less power. We now know it needs to have it's WGs tightened or replaced. We simply released conservative dyno maps for the 535i given we didn't want to give the typical power range.

We will be re-dynoing the 535i once it's mechanically sound and/or looking for another 535i to re-create our dyno graph off of.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
RambleJ
Colonel
RambleJ's Avatar
No_Country
45
Rep
2,014
Posts

Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
That would be a Shiv question. The difference can also be attributed to dyno, engine or weather differences. The basline dyno on the 535 was lower than the 335, maybe there is additional factors that account for this. Its quite obvious that the 5 series exhaust is not as free flowing as the 335.

Harry
Then couldn't the same be said for the 135's then as well? The exhaust set up seems to be the same. Correct me if i'm wrong, I haven't fully inspected a 135, but cosmetically they seems to both be the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
The tunes are the same between the 135/335/535 given the similarity of parts. The 535i that we had access to simply made less power. We now know it needs to have it's WGs tightened or replaced. We simply released conservative dyno maps for the 535i given we didn't want to give the typical power range.

We will be re-dynoing the 535i once it's mechanically sound and/or looking for another 535i to re-create our dyno graph off of.

Cheers,
Rob
Good to hear Rob. So then you don't expect the 535 because of its exhaust as someone else thought (or any other part) to be producing less power than the 335 in theory, notwithstanding car to car differences.

Interesting it made that much of a difference (20% bump in HP vs. 30% in the 335). Would love to see revised numbers at one point, hopefully closer to the 335's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #19
okai_bm
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: lonestar

iTrader: (0)

can't wait to see the new dyno graph for 535i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
tscdennab
Banned
122
Rep
1,811
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
The stock ECU does limit torque when the motor is cold.

Cheers,
Rob
Does anyone know at what temperature is any torque restriction lifted by the ECU ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
bimmertt's Avatar
48
Rep
1,724
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Does anyone know at what temperature is any torque restriction lifted by the ECU ?
+1..

but would also want to know what is considered "normal operating temperature"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
235
Rep
4,768
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
I've noticed that once the oil temps pass 180, the car drives like a mad beast... But of course I have no other proof than the butt dyno.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech | UUC | ER | SPEC
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST