E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

04-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #727
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
finally success.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #728
r9ndy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 05 545i

does your method apply for the e60 also?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #729
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9ndy View Post
does your method apply for the e60 also?
Yes, it does.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:34 AM   #730
nik49
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530xd (E60)

Other Possibility Activating Nav on Used CIC

I have another possibility of activating the navigation on a used CIC.

So far I have retrofitted my 530xd (E60) with a CIC,CID and the new iDrive Controller.

The procedure of activating the Nav:
The System starts up when you press the start button. At this time the CIC,CID and Controller are pinged using the CAN Bus. This takes less than a second.

I disconnected the CAN Bus to the CIC and put it on a switch. Now when I start up the car I let the CIC,CID turn on and then I switch off (approx after 1s) the CAN Bus to CIC for about 20-30s, after that the Navigation System is availbable.

So now the new building an electronic part, which does the entire Procedure for you.
I was thinkink about an N-Type MosFET Transistor (N-Type because they switch on when the input is low) in combination with a Capacitor discharging through a resistor. The Capacitor is charged when you press the start button. The Start button must also connect the CAN Bus, to sent the ping signal. He I m planning to make use of an AND-Gate.

I soon at the "automated" system is tested I will post the schematics

So far the manual switch has been working for the past month. Unfortunaltely no sound because it is coded to Logic7 which I don't have.

Hope this helps some people

Last edited by nik49; 04-26-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #731
nik49
Registered
Rep

Logic 7 - CIC Problem

How do I tell the CIC not to use the Logic 7 Hifi System, but the normal Hifi (SA 0676)?

Any hints?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #732
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik49 View Post

So far I have retrofitted my 530xd (E60) with a CIC,CID and the new iDrive Controller.

The System starts up when you press the start button. At this time the CIC,CID and Controller are pinged using the CAN Bus. This takes less than a second.

I disconnected the CAN Bus to the CIC and put it on a switch. Now when I start up the car I let the CIC,CID turn on and then I switch off (approx after 1s) the CAN Bus to CIC for about 20-30s, after that the Navigation System is availbable.

So now the new building an electronic part, which does the entire Procedure for you.
I was thinkink about an N-Type MosFET Transistor (N-Type because they switch on when the input is low) in combination with a Capacitor discharging through a resistor. The Capacitor is charged when you press the start button. The Start button must also connect the CAN Bus, to sent the ping signal. He I m planning to make use of an AND-Gate.

So far the manual switch has been working for the past month. Unfortunaltely no sound because it is coded to Logic7 which I don't have.

Interesting solution, and thanks for sharing. I do wonder about the ramifications of this, I assume it is polling for the VIN from the CAN line, and without it I wonder if some other functions may not work (Assist for one). Don't know, but again thanks for sharing.

Quote:
How do I tell the CIC not to use the Logic 7 Hifi System, but the normal Hifi (SA 0676)?

Any hints?
You need to recode the CIC to match your particular Vehicle Order. If you don't know what that means, it may be best to try and find an Autologic shop to do it for you (I believe Technic had success with one).
      04-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #733
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
You need to recode the CIC to match your particular Vehicle Order. If you don't know what that means, it may be best to try and find an Autologic shop to do it for you (I believe Technic had success with one).
Anybody know a good autologic shop in NJ?

Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #734
frank_dc
Rep
Drives: 120d

Quote:

Any hints?
The setting of the CIC must be changed from "Logic7" (= optical sound signal output) to your system (standard or hifi system). This can be done using an OBD interface and certain software.

Just ask Thorsten (www.car-coding.de), he is from Munich as well. He is a really nice chap and he can help you.

Last edited by frank_dc; 04-26-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #735
smercki
Rep
Drives: Italy

Quote:

Any hints?
Hello nik, if you send me you cic (in italy) i recode you cic for hifi and no top-hifi
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #736
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Anybody know a good autologic shop in NJ?

Rich
What do you need done?
      04-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #737
r9ndy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Hello,
From what I understand the shifter on LCI e60s are different than pre-LCI e60s and cigarette holder has been relocated. I am concerned about the fitment of the LCI trim for pre-LCI.

Do you have any pictures of your CIC and idrive controller? Did you replace your trim?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #738
nik49
Registered
Rep

Refering to the "switched" CAN Bus solution

This works because the CAN-Bus is not very reliable in transferring data.
There is lots of interference from other car systems, electrical noise etc. The CAN will transfer information only a certain number of time before it times out.

Apparently the CIC has a fail safe build in to allow customer who have navigation on their CIC to use it in case the can bus information doesn't transfer correctly
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #739
nik49
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Hello,
From what I understand the shifter on LCI e60s are different than pre-LCI e60s and cigarette holder has been relocated. I am concerned about the fitment of the LCI trim for pre-LCI.

Do you have any pictures of your CIC and idrive controller? Did you replace your trim?
I replaced the Center console trim + the one for the single DVD drive + ashtray. The old shifter fits into the new trim

Pictures will follow this weekend. (Sorry can't get them to you earlier, since I'm on business trip)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #740
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
What do you need done?
So I can get my VO changed if I decide to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #741
r9ndy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey technic,
Are you planning to put up a DIY for this? Along with all the necessary parts, programming, and etc..?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:27 AM   #742
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

yes please create a new thread with a DIY
      04-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #743
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Hey technic,
Are you planning to put up a DIY for this? Along with all the necessary parts, programming, and etc..?
There's a DIY thread already for iDrive Retrofit, however this was a swap. The necessary parts for this swap are listed in this thread with photos...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #744
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There's a DIY thread already for iDrive Retrofit, however this was a swap. The necessary parts for this swap are listed in this thread with photos...

Where you have installed USB socket ?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #745
BLOWNCO
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN View Post
Where you have installed USB socket ?
pretty sure it's in the glove box
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #746
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWNCO View Post
pretty sure it's in the glove box

I do not see as it to fix

Who or has a photo? How it is made at a factory?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #747
BLOWNCO
Rep
Drives: 2008 328I

Quote:
You will see something like this (USA version): new CIC (no programming at all yet), HD Screen cable, controller and console, used HD Screen and USB cable.

Legal screenshot...

Main menu (Navigation grayed out as it is not enabled)...

HD Radio...

HDD with 30+ MP3 songs already downloaded (320kps) thru the USB port...

Vehicle status (note that the vehicle shown is a Z4, once the CIC is properly programmed an E90 M3 will be shown)...

DVD -screw Twilight... bring fricking Blade to kill some suckers!!

MentholGuy's reverse camera for 2009 iDrive...

Assist/Bluetooth fully functional:

Notes for installation:

- CIC plugs right into the CCC Quadralock connector, Radio and GPS antenna.
- HD Screen installs -and uses same screws- in the dash as non-HD Screen. HD Screen requires new video cable and new Power/CAN connector, though:

HD Screen (CIC) on the left, non-HD Screen (CCC) on the right:

HD Screen video cable jack (round, 4 wires), Power/CAN jack (rectangular, pins #1-8 in a single row):

non-HD Screen video cable jack (rectangular, 8-wires):

non-HD Screen Power/CAN jack (rectangular, pins #1-12 in double rows):

The good news is that the Power/CAN wires (4 wires total) are exactly the same between the two different connectors, and they are located in exactly the same pin slots in both connectors (1, 3, 5 and 6).

The slot numbers are molded in the connectors and inside the connector jack (with the male pins) on each screen.

So it is a matter of getting the new connector with the used HD Screen (if possible) and removing the wires on by one from the existing double row connector and inserting each wire in exactly the respective slot in the new single row connector -wire in slot #1 from double row goes in slot #1 in single row connector, and so on.

Old, double row connector:

New, single row connector (bottom of photo, with USB port, USB cable and old double row connector with locking sleeve):

If you cannot get that single row connector with your used HD Screen (most junkers sell the HD Screen with the connector and the wires cut) then a shitty solution -until you can get the proper connector, no P/N is available yet- could be either wrapping each pin with electrical tape or with shrink tubing and just plug each female jack into their respective male pins of the HD Screen (again, 1 to 1, 3 to 3, 5 to 5, and 6 to 6):

The elusive USB cable (no P/N is available so far):

The video cable looks exactly the same as the USB cable but without that built-in circuitry/filter bump shown with the velcro wrapper above.

USB mount in glovebox is already made, just covered with a plastic plug...

... just pry it out:

And insert the USB port (no need to remove glovebox, just "fish" the cable from the CIC area before installing it):

All connectors are color coded except the Power/CAN connector...

here you can see the usb port here if you bothered to read this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #748
Park828
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Navigation = activated
Maps = activated (2009.1 preloaded in new CIC, will load 2010.1 next week)

Details tomorrow.
you are da bomb!!