E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - E90 Clear / Clean Clogged Sunroof Drains

06-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
moreToLearn
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

DIY - E90 Clear / Clean Clogged Sunroof Drains

Big thanks to the forum where I have been benefited from it for many years!

I recently found a large puddle of water on the front passenger side. After some investigation, the issue was caused by clogged sunroof drains for the front side.

There are 4 sunroof drains: one for each of the sunroof corners. This DIY only covers the two from the front. The rear ones are working fine so far.

I thought the drain holes are behind the front wheel well liner, so I had to took it off. It wasn't there. There's no need to take off the front wheel well liner or the engine splash guard.

The drain holes are actually hiding behind a shield which is directly behind the wheel. The picture will make a lot more sense as far as the actual location.

There's a protective drain plug to prevent dirt clogging the drain (circled in red in the picture). I'm calling it "drain plug" but there might be a better term for it. It can be removed by pulling it by hand.

There was some organic materials built up in the drain plug. I cleaned it with a garden hoses.

The pictures show only one side but it's the same procedure on both sides.

It drains great afterward. I recommend checking the sunroof drains once a year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Wolf 3352340.50
drawz77.50
      06-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Stupid question, how do you flush them? Do you just pour water over the sunroof while it’s closed? Or do you have to attach something to each individual opening to force water through it? I was thinking compressed air may work too
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Did you locate the drains for the rear? Can you share their exact location.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
moreToLearn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayk90 View Post
Stupid question, how do you flush them? Do you just pour water over the sunroof while it’s closed? Or do you have to attach something to each individual opening to force water through it? I was thinking compressed air may work too
My issue was caused by some organic materials built up in the "drain plug" (circled in red in the first picture). Once I cleaned the drain plug, the drain works great again. I tested it by pouring water to the sunroof drain holes while the sunroof is open.

I read some warning on the potential issue with compressed air. Too much force might cause the drain tube to disconnect. I would imagine it won't be a good day to find out how to reconnect the drain tube... If cleaning of the drain plug didn't work, I was going to try with a flexible wire.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
moreToLearn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Rear drains are working for me so I didn't investigate. I'm hoping someone might have the answer to that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Off topic, but what do you have between the jack stand and the jack pad? I'm new to BMW and noticed those jack pads are really not designed for direct contact with jack stands as they tend to break.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
moreToLearn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayk90 View Post
Off topic, but what do you have between the jack stand and the jack pad? I'm new to BMW and noticed those jack pads are really not designed for direct contact with jack stands as they tend to break.
Google "bmw jack pad adapter". I got the plastic kind. There's also the aluminum kind.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #8
Homarr
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Looking towards the rear of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #9
Homarr
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i xdrive

I was able to run a 1/8" snake down from the moonroof on all four drains.
Appreciate 3
Wolf 3352340.50
Nic69.00
      07-22-2023, 10:43 AM   #10
Nic6
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 COUPE

Greetings,

I heeded the advice given by Homarr and purchased this item from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Metal...ps%2C56&sr=8-2

My BMW E92 sunroof drains were blocked at the front, water was leaking into first the passenger footwell then a week later the drivers side footwell.

First I thought it was coming from the doors but later discovered it was coming from higher up behind the steering wheel/ instrument cluster/glove box.

I cleared the drains by slowly feeding the drain spring from the top, it wouldn't go around the first bend to begin with, I poured washing up liquid into the hole which made it much easier to work the spring right down to the bottom where the drain was clogged.

I twisted and turned the spring a few times on both sides and tested the drainage by pouring water into the holes.

After a slight delay the water started coming out of the drain holes just behind the front wheels so it seems the drains were cleared successfully.
Appreciate 0