Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rims damaged during tire change

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Rims damaged during tire change

A quick question for the more mechanically inclined members who has changed tires themselves in the past, or know exactly how the tires are changed.

Is it impossible to avoid damage(s) on the rims when switching out the factory all season run-flats tires?

A little bit of background, changed out the factory all season run-flats on my 3 series last Saturday with a set of winter tires. Noticed some small scratches on the face of the rims, and significant scratches along the outer circumference of the rims, where the metal meets the rubber (or very close to it at least).

Shop tech acknowledged the scratches, but said damages are unavoidable since the run-flats are stiff and hard to get (pry?) off the rims.

Will be talking to shop manager in the next couple of days to sort this out.

What do you guys think? Do I have a case for compensation?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Edit: links to pictures

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by BlueElectrin; 11-22-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ask them what equipment they used and report back.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Ask them what equipment they used and report back.
Will do.

It's a Costco tire center if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueElectrin View Post
Will do.

It's a Costco tire center if that helps.
IDK how Costco tire centers are, but I'm sure there were a lot more reputable shops in your area? They should have equipment where you don't need to "pry" anything. FWIW, I just had my runflats changed the other month, and no damage was done to my 189s. Also, if he acknowledged the damage was done by him and his staff, 100% compensation.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep

Quote:
IDK how Costco tire centers are, but I'm sure there were a lot more reputable shops in your area? They should have equipment where you don't need to "pry" anything. FWIW, I just had my runflats changed the other month, and no damage was done to my 189s.
Costco is dirt cheap, and apparently all techs are "Michelin certified" techs, hence I thought it was a good choice.

Also, the tire techs I chatted with did not use the word "pry", it's a guess on my part.

Lesson learned!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Costco is dirt cheap, and apparently all techs are "Michelin certified" techs, hence I thought it was a good choice.

Lesson learned!
Lesson learned indeed! Always search your regional sub-forum for recommendations on any type of shops. If he acknowledged the damage was done by him and his staff, 100% compensation.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Lesson learned indeed! Always search your regional sub-forum for recommendations on any type of shops. If he acknowledged the damage was done by him and his staff, 100% compensation.
Will be pushing for the 100% compensation, will probably phone some indy shop in town tomorrow and get a second opinion on what they think of this matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will be pushing for the 100% compensation, will probably phone some indy shop in town tomorrow and get a second opinion on what they think of this matter.
You should definitely be able to get fully compensated. I'm assuming he didn't tell you before doing so, "Oh by the way, we can't avoid it and we'll probably damage your wheels since they're runflats."
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
4DRSpeed
TWNEGOS
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6spd White/Red

Runflat sidewalls are definitely ridiculously stiff and why majority of shops charge more to mount runflats.

But with the proper machine it shouldn't scratch at all. This is what our shop has. Doesn't touch the wheel at all and basically mounts the tire for the tech. It's done a 30" wheel and threw it on like it was 18" tire
http://www.hunter.com/tirechanger/auto34/index.cfm

Most likely my guess is Costco has something like this below.

This is what we use to have. This has several arms that can touch the wheel. And you can see the pry bars pictured as well to help with removing the tire. It also comes with a low profile tire tool. While on some lower profile tires with this machine it would require the bar, if used properly you still won't scratch the wheels.

Costco should still take care of the scratches for you!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I had the same thing happen to me by an Indy shop when I had my winter tires put on for the first time. 1. You should be fully reimbursed for repair. If damage was unavoidable using their equipment, they should have informed you of this beforehand so you could make an informed decision. 2. Tire mounting is the one thing on my car that I will only get done at the dealer - they have the right gear and I'm way to anal to deal with unnecessary scratches. 3. Consider getting a set of winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
BlueElectrin
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the info guys, so I will be using the two following train of thought when speaking with Costco's tire shop manager.

1. Tire changing with proper technique/machinery will not result in any kind of damage to the rims.

2. Costco tire shop did not perform their due-diligence by informing me that a.) Costco's shop does not have the proper "no-touch" tire equipment, and b.) whatever equipments they were using might've result in rim damages during the tire changing process.

If I'm not compensated for the damages, next step will be spending ~$200 to have a lawyer draft a formal letter, send it to whoever-the-power-may-be, and proceed with small claims court if all else fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
I had two of my wheels damaged after my first new tire installation at discount tire. I showed them the damage and they hired a company to repair the wheels free of charge. They did an excellent job. The damage was obviously from their machine and they apologized.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys, so I will be using the two following train of thought when speaking with Costco's tire shop manager.

1. Tire changing with proper technique/machinery will not result in any kind of damage to the rims.

2. Costco tire shop did not perform their due-diligence by informing me that a.) Costco's shop does not have the proper "no-touch" tire equipment, and b.) whatever equipments they were using might've result in rim damages during the tire changing process.

If I'm not compensated for the damages, next step will be spending ~$200 to have a lawyer draft a formal letter, send it to whoever-the-power-may-be, and proceed with small claims court if all else fail.
Sounds good, but don't go in guns blazing. If they refuse, just let them know they are about to lose a long term customer (true or not). If they still won't budge, take it up the chain as far as you can. The cooler you are, the better your chances. Let us know what they say...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

I have had numerous bad experiences with Discount Tire, Belle Tire and the chain shops. If they are my stockers or winter setups, I'm not as worried. But for my summer wheels, I go to the indy shop that does my in between oil services. They charge twice as much, but never had an issue.

One piece of advice, always take pictures at drop off. Have the manager or service writer acknowledge the pictures. When they get back and they aren't as pictured, don't leave until you are satisfied. Sad that it is our word against theirs, but it has come to this.

RANT OVER.
      11-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
It's definitely possible to mount and dismount tires without any damage to the lips of the wheels, we do it all day long every day. With that said though, some equipment is more prone to cosmetically damage wheels than others. I'd look for tire shops that use equipment that doesn't touch the wheel in the future.