E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Taxis vs Uber

09-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #67
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Customers don't care. If they cared enough, they would hand out cash tips.

It's not like uber is forcing people into these assignments. People sign up. If, according to your post, there are effectively no other opportunities for these people, isn't $9-$12/hour better than nothing? If there are other opportunities and uber is horrible to them why not do something else? Would they be better off with no work at all?
Something is always better than nothing but being a part of the working poor is not really something people aspire to do.

I'm saying that driving Uber is no better than working any other minimum wage job except there's no benefits. It's a pretty shady operation that takes advantage of lower income people. I guess in some ways no different than most lower wage jobs - perhaps worse.

Quote:
So would you suggest they unionize?
I guess this is the trouble with big corporations like this,they get too greedy and underpay and take advantage of their workers while the very top get stinking rich.
However the consumer using this reaps a tremendous savings.....I guess it's all about sustainability....seems both have pros/cons.
I am not suggesting unionization. I'm saying Uber should act like a ethical company and have fair practices for their employees.
They are fair... The contractors accepted the terms. They are not getting forced on anyone. No one is getting dragged out of bed and strapped to a car seat to told to drive.
      09-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #68
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
The bolded is absolutely not true.

1. the only dress codes uber has is wear clothes (aka don't be naked). I have used Uber 100 times and in those times I've have seen the drivers wear everything from a suit all the way to a tank top and ripped shorts.

2. The drivers can drive anywhere in the state they are registered in as long as a town/city itself doesn't have laws against Uber. They are not restricted to a set route.

3. If someone pukes in an Uber car then uber pays for the drive to have his car completely detailed on the interior (and maybe exterior also but idk about that). I have had that confirmed by several Uber drivers.

Get your facts straight before you bash a company.
You should get yours straight - you obviously have not driven for them.

1. Uber "encourages" people to dress nicely. (even UberX drivers). Whether they do or not is not strictly enforced but is "encouraged". I've seen Uber employees do test rides with people to see how they are doing. Maybe it's because the corporate office (San Francisco) is in my area, but they do check up on drivers.

2. UBER adjusts your fare because of an inefficient route taken by the driver. They adjust the miles and time paid. Final cost will end up being what it should have been if the driver took the most efficient route, under ideal conditions (i.e. no traffic). You are rarely driving under ideal conditions. In SF, it can take 30 minutes to drive 1 mile for which you're only paid $4 (after uber's 25% service fee) before taxes and expenses.

3. Really? Do you really think you can clean up all the puke in a car? If that person somehow pukes neatly onto the floormat or in a trash bag, sure, that's easy to clean. If you've ever done any kinda of auto detailing, you understand that it takes a lot more than some cleaner and a scrub to get out puke. Sometimes the puke smell never goes away. Is a $50 cleaning fee enough to do a thorough puke cleaning? No

Go log into uberpeople forums and you'll see all the nasty stuff Uber makes their drivers put up with.

Last edited by Z K; 09-18-2015 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #69
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

3. Really? Do you really think you can clean up all the puke in a car? If that person somehow pukes neatly onto the floormat or in a trash bag, sure, that's easy to clean. If you've ever done any kinda of auto detailing, you understand that it takes a lot more than some cleaner and a scrub to get out puke. Sometimes the puke smell never goes away. Is a $50 cleaning fee enough to do a thorough puke cleaning? No

Having had a passenger once puke in my car, I have to agree with that. If there's any chance of a passenger puking -- and in a car for hire, I'd say there's a very good chance of it happening -- rubber rather than cloth floor covering, and vinyl (or leather at the least) is what you want.

The more synthetic, impermeable material on the inside of a taxi or other non-luxury car for hire, the better, IMO. It makes cleaning easier and more effective, which in turn will allow the owner/driver to invest less effort to do so and thus maybe do so more often.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #70
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You should get yours straight - you obviously have not driven for them.

1. Uber "encourages" people to dress nicely. (even UberX drivers). Whether they do or not is not strictly enforced but is "encouraged". I've seen Uber employees do test rides with people to see how they are doing. Maybe it's because the corporate office (San Francisco) is in my area, but they do check up on drivers.

2. UBER adjusts your fare because of an inefficient route taken by the driver. They adjust the miles and time paid. Final cost will end up being what it should have been if the driver took the most efficient route, under ideal conditions (i.e. no traffic). You are rarely driving under ideal conditions. In SF, it can take 30 minutes to drive 1 mile for which you're only paid $4 (after uber's 25% service fee) before taxes and expenses.

Go log into uberpeople forums and you'll see all the nasty stuff Uber makes their drivers put up with.
ya nice try back pedaling.

1. you specifically stated they have a "dress code" a dress code is a mandatory way of dressing that must be followed. Not a "we encourage you to dress nicely". So you are clearing trying to change what you said now.

2. you said they have "regulated driving routes". No one is regulating their route. Yes it may be inefficient and less cost effective to go off their normal route but NO ONE is regulating their route and forcing them to go on certain routes.

3. you said "drunk people may puke in your car - again you're on you own to clean all that up". I don't know what you definition of "on you own" is, but when a company gives you money to have your car detailed you are most certainly not "on you own". And while it may be true that the smell will stay a while, the fact that Uber did pay to have your car detailed means that you weren't on you own. And I've talked to Uber drives who have had people puke in there car, they couldn't have been happier with the way Uber handled it.

This whole thread you have been spouting nonsense about Uber and now that I called you on it you are trying to change your story.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0