E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rocker cover oil leak

03-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
JancPaul
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Rocker cover oil leak

Not a good day, picked up car today after having an oil leak from the rocker cover. Leaking gasket but bloody annoying as it was leaking onto the manifold leaving a burning smell every time car was driven. Anyway initially told that it would be covered on warranty. Extended Comp BMW warranty. So told it would be the excess and oil cost as it would be covered. But picked up a £380 bill as now they are questioning it, and had to pay full amount as need the car back for work. They already checked with the warranty manager before giving me the thumbs up, now well!! Got to ask the manager on Tuesday!
Car is a 57 plate N53 330I. Just venting! Anyone had this before? Oil leak I mean?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

Haven't had this oil leak but fight that to the end... They can't say yes one minute and then land you with a huge bill. Ask to speak to the manager but be firm and polite. I guarantee you will get it sorted.

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
JancPaul
Rep

Yes intend to. Had a leaking auto gearbox sump before Xmas it was covered. New gasket an mechatronics internals so hopefully I will get my money back. I will speak to manager firm and polite. I let you all know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Rocker cover gaskets are fairly common, we do a fair few along with oil filter housings and vacuum pumps as well depending on what car you drive some or all of these issues can come up.

The gaskets go hard crispy and over time you'll lose oil with the first signs of an issue for us is when customers report a burning smell in the cabin, when investigated sure enough we find a leak.

Thing with warranty is that is is largely considered a wear/tear type item that's consummate with age and mileage but it's a grey area sometimes when you read your certain policies as some clearly highlight more than others.

Gearbox sumps are as you've discovered can leak(we call it sweating)some warranty company's again if the cars done some decent distance can say no again as a gaskets involved and these wear, some will as you've discovered take a more reasonable view and act as a preventive measure as the next step could cost them a whole lot more to put right.

The other thing I've found when dealing with a warranty company and I spoke to 2 people on the claims line in one company yesterday is that if you gel with the person on the other end of the phone you can actually get a good rapport going you usually get a result the first one I spoke to was brief to the point and through frustration the second one I spoke to, listened and acted and got everything pushed through in an hour. And I wasn't asking the question any differently you either connect or you don't hence why on occasions it's worth re grouping your thought and tackling the company again if you don't click the first time
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
JancPaul
Rep

Great hopefully I might get somewhere. I have a good rappor with the garage. I suppose we will see if they want my custom again? I don't think they will honour it though. My biggest gripe is that firstly they tell me it's covered so I agree to get the work done. Then after they inform me it's not covered and I now have a larger bill. Surely they could have got there facts right at the start. They are a big enough company. Oh well here's hoping. Thank you for the information.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
JancPaul
Rep

Cars 57 plate 54200 mile had since 2000 miles. Not a great deal for a 330i. Should get a call today.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So they agreed to do it under warranty, did the work and then charged you?