E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > i drive gives me limited choices in nav, phone, etc...

01-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white e90

i drive gives me limited choices in nav, phone, etc...

when inputting an address, I choose state/province and am given the option of canada/US/Alabama/Alaska/Alberta/Arizona and thats it when I get to arizona the wheel stops itself and wont let me proceed to anything else. also I noticed when I just choose US (because Washington isnt an option) and then start to put in my city it isnt there, as well as the cities around me, usually not on the list. I can put in the zip code and it finds where Im looking for. also when in the phone menu, I know when in the phonebook say I go to M, it shows the fist 4 or 5 numbers under M and I can cycle back and forth through them but I can go no further down the list. I think it did it in the top 8 list as well, I cant cycle through all 8. I did try to stop the car and put it in park thinking maybe that car doesnt want you to get to involved in options while driving but still same issues...

any ideas why its doing that?

oh and in fm mode, it does let me cycle through stored stations past what can just be displayed on the one screen.

I tried google and came up with nothing that helped me and a lot of stuff about what I assume is a cloud storage solution...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt02 View Post
when inputting an address, I choose state/province and am given the option of canada/US/Alabama/Alaska/Alberta/Arizona and thats it when I get to arizona the wheel stops itself and wont let me proceed to anything else. also I noticed when I just choose US (because Washington isnt an option) and then start to put in my city it isnt there, as well as the cities around me, usually not on the list. I can put in the zip code and it finds where Im looking for. also when in the phone menu, I know when in the phonebook say I go to M, it shows the fist 4 or 5 numbers under M and I can cycle back and forth through them but I can go no further down the list. I think it did it in the top 8 list as well, I cant cycle through all 8. I did try to stop the car and put it in park thinking maybe that car doesnt want you to get to involved in options while driving but still same issues...

any ideas why its doing that?

oh and in fm mode, it does let me cycle through stored stations past what can just be displayed on the one screen.

I tried google and came up with nothing that helped me and a lot of stuff about what I assume is a cloud storage solution...
Sounds like your controller be having an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

in any menu on the top bar I am able to fully scroll left or right to options not currently displayed, same on the 2nd bar. cd lets me scroll up and down to tracks that arent on screen, the only areas that seem to be the issue is in my phone book and looking up states, because even once I start entering a city and then go down into the list it lets me fully scroll. disc doesnt look bad athough I do ave the newest nav disc set on the way. is it possible that a flawed disc could be the problem? (with the nav anyways? obviously wouldnt help with the phone software)
      01-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

ok, heres a video of what it does. this was me sitting in park/engine off so I know its not because the car thinks im driving.

and to explain what I mean about the knob ratcheting. under normal use, you can turn the knob one click to the next menu item and the knob stops where you let it go. so you grab it with your thumb at 6 o clock and scroll a few options and your thumb is now at 9 o clock , when you let off the part you had your thumb on stays at 9 o clock. when I have to force it past the stopping point to select more options a few things happen. 1. the movement is far less than when normally selecting the next option, 2. you can feel he knob clicking in your hand every time it moves a small amount, and if you keep pressure on it, feels like it is ratcheting around (very rapid clicking with short/succesive knob movements) and 3. if you grabbed it with your thumb at 6 o clock, move it til your thumb is at 9 o clock, when you let off the area your thumb was on now goes all the way back to 6 oclock to rest...

listening to myself talk, I dont know why I have a hard time saying the word ratchet, its like I have to mentally prepare myself for a second each time before I say it...
      01-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

That's how the older CCC with haptic feedback iDrive controller works. Don't worry, you're not breaking it by turning it past the resistance to get it to scroll more. Mine was like that too. It's supposed to be so you can gauge where you are in the menus without looking at the screen.

They changed it with the later update to CCC without the haptic feedback controller (the one with no voice command button) and for the new versions CIC and NBT. The knob in the newer versions just keeps scrolling without resistance.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not sure you understood me correctly, or you did and it just baffles me that they designed it this way. when I first started using it to control radio settings, I thought to myself "this is pretty smart, it stops you at the last selection in either direction so you know where you are at without looking if you memorize the options"

I have haptic feedback for every selection, in every other menu it clicks once and the knob rotates a small amount for each option selected, and when no further travel in the direction is needed(at beginning or end of menu) the wheel stops and wont let me travel further. I get that same haptic feedback of one small movement/one click in the nav/phone menu until it stops me prematurely. it really doesnt feel good to force it like I have too, and it erratially clicks away and then the knob rotates back to the point it had stopped me at. at the very least I would assume if it was intended to be forced to select further options the knob would stay put after you get there, and not spring right back to where it had stopped you...

anyone else confirm this is how the CIC works (just remembered a friends roommate has an 08, might have to get in touch with that guy)
      01-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

I understood you correctly. It's exactly how my CCC worked on my 2006 since I got it. If you have a coding setup, I think you can code out the haptic feedback. Or buy the controller without haptic feedback (no voice button).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

well the thing is I have haptic feedback during the operation I feel is(would be) normal, and then different feedback once I have to force it. theres a local bmw FB group and I had a guy who says hes a tech watch the video and says its not normal. Plus a friend of mine has a 335 (CIC though) but his roommate has an 08 (CCC) and he says they dont act the same. so as soon as I find the time to make the 110 mile round trip we are going to swap controllers and see if it changes anything.
      01-13-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

08 CCC is different and CIC is completely different. Neither of them have any haptic feedback at all in the controller, just a mechanical click wheel. Like I said, the change was made around 03/07 build, so only early 2007 and 2006 E9x has the CCC with haptic feedback.

If you want to compare you need to look at a 2006 325i/330i or early build 2007 328i/335i. I would record mine to show you but I've taken out the CCC and retrofitted NBT.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

so does the 08 CCC let you scroll past the end of the menus? does it just go back to the beginning? or does it still stop you when you reach the last selection?
      01-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #11
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

08 CCC and newer would just keep scrolling until the end of the current list. There won't be any resistance to the knob at the end of the list since there's no more haptic feedback. So the knob will just keep turning but the selection on the screen will stop at the last item on the list.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

so what would the results be of swapping controllers, I assume it would let me select all options without stopping me anywhere anymore since it has no ability to do so.

if it ended up working and I just sourced my own newer ccc controller, is the only difference the lack of a voice input button (have one on the steering wheel anyways, assume they are redundant and I only need one to do everything) and the lack of haptic feedack?
      01-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

I would try to see if you can code out the haptic feedback first and see how that goes with the original controller. I'm not sure if the updated CCC controller will need coding or not before working or if it's just plug and play.

But yes, if you swap in the newer CCC controller (and code if necessary) it work like the 08 CCC does. You will be able to scroll through everything without resistance. The voice button on the old CCC controller is redundant.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #14
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

that will kinda suck though, Im really gonna miss the haptic feedback I get when changing from one selection to the next, I can change track, stations, sources, etc without having to look..
      01-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #15
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

The newer knobs without haptic feedback have a physical click when you turn it (like the volume knob or temp control knob). So you can still count how many clicks you turn it to select something. You just won't be able to know when you hit the end of the list unless you look at the screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 02:43 AM   #16
maddmatt02
Private First Class
Rep

ok, I get more and more confused as this goes, lol. unless my friend and i misunderstood each other. he does have a newer CIC though, but says theres absolutely no resistance to his knob, and I took this to mean it doesnt even have the detents at each selection but maybe thats now what he meant. he found me a jb4 a while back though and its on the way to his house so one of these days Im going to make my way down there to try the newer ccc and the cic first hand.