E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Beware the Driving Range -- Windshield Damage

04-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Angry Beware the Driving Range -- Windshield Damage

So, there is a huge demo day event at the golf course I normally go to for practice, so for this one day only I decide to go to this crappy course to use the range and maybe get in a quick 9 holes after work. I finish up on the 9th hole around 7:45PM and while driving out of the parking lot I notice this:

All I wanted to do was once I started thinking about how unlikely it is that I will find out who was responsible for hitting a stray ball into the parking lot and then leaving without acknowledging what they did.

So, I guess my option is to call insurance and get them to cover it with comprehensive? What is the cost of replacing a front windshield like this out of pocket? $1,500? $2,000+?

So pissed right now...
      04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Sucks. Did you try talk to the golf course about it? They certainly wouldn't be obligated to help you out, but you never know.

My parents live across from a golf course. This happened to my '84 prelude way back in the day. I went and talked to the manager at the course and they helped pay. Seems to me they covered my deductible, but it was so long ago I can't remember the details.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately it was late and the pro shop had already closed up, so I won't be able to talk to anybody there until tomorrow. I'm curious to know how much my insurance premium will go up for filing a comprehensive claim for this.
      04-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

windshield should be under 400$, you should be thankful it didnt hit your roof or hood!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Unfortunately it was late and the pro shop had already closed up, so I won't be able to talk to anybody there until tomorrow. I'm curious to know how much my insurance premium will go up for filing a comprehensive claim for this.
Comprehensive claims do not raise your insurance premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

OEM windshield installed by BMW shop would run you close to 1000. Safelite will probably do it for half that price, but I'm a fanatic about having everything OEM.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I'm not sure how it works in California, but in Mass there's no deductible for windshield damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
I'm not sure how it works in California, but in Mass there's no deductible for windshield damage.
Windshield damage comes under comprehensive deductible.
It depends on your insurance policy.
If you have 0 comprehensive you dont pay anything for windshield repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
OEM windshield installed by BMW shop would run you close to 1000. Safelite will probably do it for half that price, but I'm a fanatic about having everything OEM.
Same here, I want it to be OEM. If it was only $400 I may consider doing it out of pocket since my deductible for comprehensive is $250. But if it doesn't raise premiums next year, as long as my insurance will allow for OEM installation from the dealership, I'll just go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Windshield damage comes under comprehensive deductible.
It depends on your insurance policy.
If you have 0 comprehensive you dont pay anything for windshield repair.
I read some of the policy last night, and it said that if it's a minor repair the deductible is waived, but if your windshield needs replacement, the deductible is applied. Mine definitely is getting replaced.

Thanks for the responses all. It's been a while (6-7 years) since I filed an insurance claim so I've forgotten a bit about it. Glad to know comprehensive claims won't raise my premium.
      04-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
roblav
Rep
Drives: SCCA Formula Car

Bummer... I've had that happen too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Honestly, while this may feel like a crappy situation (and it is), be glad that the golf ball hit the windshield rather than a body panel (especially a rear quarter panel). It could have been much worse.

Just call your insurance. I doubt your rates will even go up.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
windshield should be under 400$, you should be thankful it didnt hit your roof or hood!
THIS! some insurances cover it, some dont. if they dont shop around at autoglass shops. They usually source oem as well as oem supplier (no bmw logo on the bottom left corner but still same quality and lower price). good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

it should cost you somewhere around 600..
      04-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihun View Post
it should cost you somewhere around 600..
We charge $600
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
cultr3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Which course is this? I also live in Sacramento, make sure not to go there.

Also which insurance company? Some companies have special glass clauses for their comprehensive, such as farmers insurance, the comprehensive deductible is what you set, but specially, the glass deductible is 0 for repair, 100 for replace. so you might want to check with the insurance agent.

The only thing to worry about is that, from previous forum posts, regardless who installs the new windshield, if it's not done perfectly, it will allow moisture into the cabin screwing up the ac blowers and some electronics. unfortunately it isn't a gap or something that we can "see" visually until it's too late. (there's a post either on this or the other forum).

Should look on the bright side, if you parked your car in the other direction, you'd be painting the car now, what would you rather be doing? the ball hit the one place that can be fixed without painting.

Quote:
Same here, I want it to be OEM. If it was only $400 I may consider doing it out of pocket since my deductible for comprehensive is $250. But if it doesn't raise premiums next year, as long as my insurance will allow for OEM installation from the dealership, I'll just go that route.

I read some of the policy last night, and it said that if it's a minor repair the deductible is waived, but if your windshield needs replacement, the deductible is applied. Mine definitely is getting replaced.

Thanks for the responses all. It's been a while (6-7 years) since I filed an insurance claim so I've forgotten a bit about it. Glad to know comprehensive claims won't raise my premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I had the local shop do mine with Pilkington OEM glass sans the BMW Logo. Insurance paid $600 out the door. To have the bmw dealership do it, it would have been $1k and the insurance company would not pay that. Everything works fine except a whistle at 90+ from the top of the windshield where they reused the old molding. Make sure they use new molding or you may have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky
+1

I was thinking you lucked out by it only hitting the glass
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay, let me give you the rundown and then respond to some comments. First though I want to say thanks to all of you guys (and gal) for the information. It allowed me to ask the right questions when speaking with all the different parties involved. Anyway, the rundown:

1) Went to the golf course first thing this morning. Once I mentioned "cracked windshield" they pulled out a form to try and recover costs from the county, while also letting me know that the county denies virtually every claim. So much for that.

2) Called AAA (my insurance provider). The automated prompts steer you towards "Safelight" something or other company once they find out it's "glass only" damage. They gave me the option of using their "network" (and having it fixed by today...go figure) or finding my own shop and then calling them back, so I did.

3) Dropped by the local BMW. They gave an estimate:

$1030, but it includes the moldings that some of you guys mentioned. BMW also said that they set the glass, etc, then have it sit overnight and then give it back to me the following day.

4) Called back AAA Insurance aka Safelight, and told them to add Niello BMW as the shop, and they mentioned that they would only cover the costs they deem "necessary & reasonable" which is $742.50, not including tax nor moulding. I had the lady itemize Safelight's pricing and she wouldn't itemize it, but did say their total, out the door cost is $530--inclusive of new molding--of which I would be responsible for $250.

So, with Niello BMW I would be paying roughly $538 ($250 deductible plus the $288 to cover costs above and beyond the $742 they deem reasonable) vs. paying $250 to have it done with Safelight. Bottom line, f*** insurance companies.
      04-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
We charge $600
Is it possible for you to check the part numbers I listed above and see if your pricing is the same as theirs? I'm curious if the $600 includes new moulding and/or if the specific type of windshield is more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultr3 View Post
Which course is this? I also live in Sacramento, make sure not to go there.
Cordova Golf Course in Rancho Cordova. I only went there because there is a demo day at my normal practice facility at Haggin Oaks. Just some crappy luck that the only day of the year I planned on going there somebody hits my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
I had the local shop do mine with Pilkington OEM glass sans the BMW Logo. Insurance paid $600 out the door. To have the bmw dealership do it, it would have been $1k and the insurance company would not pay that. Everything works fine except a whistle at 90+ from the top of the windshield where they reused the old molding. Make sure they use new molding or you may have the same issue.
Sounds like I should try and shop around for reputable glass companies and their pricing on OEM glass. Do you think the glass shop would let me know the part numbers they planned on using?

Again, thank you all for your comments.
      04-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
So, there is a huge demo day event at the golf course I normally go to for practice, so for this one day only I decide to go to this crappy course to use the range and maybe get in a quick 9 holes after work. I finish up on the 9th hole around 7:45PM and while driving out of the parking lot I notice this:

All I wanted to do was once I started thinking about how unlikely it is that I will find out who was responsible for hitting a stray ball into the parking lot and then leaving without acknowledging what they did.

So, I guess my option is to call insurance and get them to cover it with comprehensive? What is the cost of replacing a front windshield like this out of pocket? $1,500? $2,000+?

So pissed right now...
Sux, Is it "Possible" that whomever shanked that into the lot might honestly have thought they got away with one? I hope that is the case and that there are still some honorable folks out there... Somewhere.

Depending on your Insurance Company, it will likely be painless. Had one a few years ago and the comprehensive claim was painless. Moving violations or damage to anyone else's property raises eyebrows, but damaging your own stuff is pretty painless.

ETA: Saw the post about your insurance. Get a better Insurance company, they are not all bad.
      04-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
Armito
Nai re!
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - Black

You should be able to get it for around 700.

I just replaced mine in Canada at BMW with original glass,moulding and new rain sensor for 700 + tax installed.
Appreciate 0