Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Spacers stuck on hub

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

UPDATE POST 10 with pics of removed stuck spacers

Around April I put H&R spacers on all four corners of my car, I put on anti-seize and cleaned my hubs before hand.

Now the damn things don't want to come off, I've tried WD-40, tried to wedge in a few picks/flat screwdrivers in the side to get leverage, rubber mallet all around, used a heat gun to heat up the aluminum for about 8 mins all around the spacer as well. But nothing has worked and I'd like to put my winter wheels and tires on next week.

What to do?!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
We generally recommend purchasing spacers with tabs on the sides like ours to avoid this kind of issue but the only thing that's going to get them out now is a wedge and a hammer while slowly going around the hub.

If you install the spacers on a dirty/rusty hub, you run the risk of forcing the spacer on the hub which can cause quite the headache.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

i used a sharp spackle knife and mallet to get it started and worked up to larger and larger screwdrivers. just make sure to keep something in the opposite side as you open up or the spacer will just pivot back and forth.

and yes, antiseize on all mating surfaces, yet it stills seems to stick on...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys guess I'll have at it again, I've been using H&R spacers, cleaning my hubs, and putting anti seize on my spacers for years and this is the first time I ever encountered something this stuck.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

re: anti-seize, I used the aluminum stuff the first time I had my wheels off, and my wheels were still showing signs of slightly sticking to the hubs next time around. That time the stuff I had handy was the copper bearing stuff recommended for the spark plugs and I used that instead, wheels came right off. Now I don't know if that really means anything or if there were other factors (different seasons etc.) in play.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We generally recommend purchasing spacers with tabs on the sides like ours to avoid this kind of issue but the only thing that's going to get them out now is a wedge and a hammer while slowly going around the hub.

If you install the spacers on a dirty/rusty hub, you run the risk of forcing the spacer on the hub which can cause quite the headache.
This is a nice feature for wheel spacers. Makes removing them a bit easier.
      11-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post

This is a nice feature for wheel spacers. Makes removing them a bit easier.
It is a nice feature but with never having this problem it never crossed my mind
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

I've had this problem before too, though not to your extent. I just found a fairly wide flathead and slowly hammered it in. You'll partially damage the spacer but I didn't see any alternatives.
      11-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game
I've had this problem before too, though not to your extent. I just found a fairly wide flathead and slowly hammered it in. You'll partially damage the spacer but I didn't see any alternatives.
Ok I'm just scared to put damage on my hubs
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

you won't damage the hubs, you might nick the rotor face a little, if you do dress any raised spots with a flat file (and likewise on the spacers)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hey guys I finally got time to do this today. I used penetrating blaster from autozone and let it set for 30 mins. I jacked up the car btw on all fours with the wheels removed. I got a solid hammer and a chisel and started to work my way around. Surprisingly the ones on the right are my H&R's which were more of a pain as you can see the rust. The left set was on the rear and from eBay and after two solid blows I could grab on and pull them off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0