E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Clutch replacement 320D - What it takes?

06-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Kali
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Clutch replacement 320D - What it takes?

So recently my clutch started slipping and juddering which suggests that I need dual mass replaced as well as the clutch.
Now, that's my first experience with clutch replacement and I know it can be very expensive, but I'm getting it done by befriended mechanic who will do it much cheaper for me and I can buy a better clutch.

Question is,
What all parts do I need for a complete job ? Do I need to get a clutch specific for my engine and model. It's for a 320D 2008 pre-LCI with N47 engine but it's remapped to 230 bhp and I was thinking it would be a good idea to buy a better clutch. Is it possible to buy an upgraded clutch ?

Also what is the best place to buy the clutch kit?

Thanks,
Damian.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

You'll need the obligitry clutch and flywheel part wise check with placed like Euro's re part comparability ideally they'll locate a LUK set for your car, re updated parts for me a grey area part of the problem would be compatibility but TBH I think a new LUK set I would be up to the task, but once the clutch is fitted this is where most people stop they just go these bits, but having seen so many clutches and fly's changed on these cars there are done other simple required parts that are overlooked missed and for piece of mind they are worth changing but they will be main dealer only

1/ Ball pin - made of nylon and around £2.50+VAT

2/ Spring - made of steel sits with the ball pin around £3.31+VAT

3/ Collar - made of steel sits on the shaft if this is discoloured due to the wear worth looking at replacing as I've seen these fracture and break away so while the gearbox us out its with inspecting/replacing and this is around £25+VAT from memory

4/ Another thing though nothing to do with the clutch is to maybe drain re fill the gearbox with fresh MFT fluid if you chose to go this check double check places like Euro's as I've known them to get the spec slightly wrong BMW of course offer the fluid but at a considerable increase re price from memory around £29+VAT and you'll use nigh on 2 litres

As the props coming off the box its also worth IMO looking at the state of the prop coupling if it's to the eyes worn then ideal time to relax likewise if the guy doing the job knows his onions worth having a look st the centre bearing too
      06-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Kali
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Thanks for that mate, how can I get part numbers for these ?
I'm still looking around what parts I should buy and I'm really tempted to get a performance clutch from sachs. I found this one website which seems tempting but is it secure? Did anyone here use this website so they recommend it? It's: http://www.dualmassflywheel24.com/56...9-2008-12-2011

Thanks!
Appreciate 0