E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help If You Can

07-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #133
mrod1975
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

PM not working for me

Hey SHATX,

I am getting a message when trying to PM saying that my account is awaiting activation, which is weird because I activated my account very early this morning.

Anyways my email is

mrod1975@yahoo.com

As it sits now I have the glove box out ready to go.

Question:

Can I purchase the parts locally?

Or do I have to purchase online?

Thanks!!

Martin

PS If you want to make some extra bucks I'd be glad to make it worth your time and effort to do it!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #134
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod1975 View Post
Hey SHATX,

I am getting a message when trying to PM saying that my account is awaiting activation, which is weird because I activated my account very early this morning.

Anyways my email is

mrod1975@yahoo.com

As it sits now I have the glove box out ready to go.

Question:

Can I purchase the parts locally?

Or do I have to purchase online?

Thanks!!

Martin

PS If you want to make some extra bucks I'd be glad to make it worth your time and effort to do it!
You can call the dealership and ask, but i would highly suggest ordering them from Tischer - getbmwparts.com

ill email over the file with pics for you shortly.

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #135
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Guys, sorry to bump the thread but I have this happening to me. See here for the full story:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...6#post12316476

Long story short, is this covered under CPO? Dealer is trying to charge me $1400 and won't refund the $140 fee even though they couldn't figure out what's wrong (I did).

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #136
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Guys, sorry to bump the thread but I have this happening to me. See here for the full story:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...6#post12316476

Long story short, is this covered under CPO? Dealer is trying to charge me $1400 and won't refund the $140 fee even though they couldn't figure out what's wrong (I did).

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
After reading your post, I suggest you try another dealer as the one you are currently working with sounds shady.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #137
sdowden81
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 328i My First BMW

HELP!!

Hey Shatx,

You are now famous in my house in Louisiana. We actually refer to you by BMW Shatx. If you could please send your pictures I would appreciate it. We are about 99% sure this is the issue. We shake the big cable in the back of my fuse box and she comes alive.

Not sure if my PM is working or not, but you can email me at busababe81@hotmail.com

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
sdowden
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #138
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHATX View Post
After reading your post, I suggest you try another dealer as the one you are currently working with sounds shady.
I called BMW NA and bitched and they wound up calling the dealer and getting them to cover it under warranty. Crisis averted.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #139
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowden81 View Post
Hey Shatx,

You are now famous in my house in Louisiana. We actually refer to you by BMW Shatx. If you could please send your pictures I would appreciate it. We are about 99% sure this is the issue. We shake the big cable in the back of my fuse box and she comes alive.

Not sure if my PM is working or not, but you can email me at busababe81@hotmail.com

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
sdowden

Should be in you Inbox! Good Luck!

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #140
wirez05
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 328I

WOW!!!! Had the same problem, actually still do. I have decided to remove and replace the whole wire.. Thanks a bunch for the advice SHATX! You rock. This is my first Bimmer and I am not thrilled, at this junction, in our relationship. I have learned a couple things that may make they removal for the next person a little easier. If you having trouble getting the top Left mount Screw out of the Fuse panel try removing the big green square relay in the Top Left Side. That makes it easier for you to access with the AC blower in the way as mine is and my tooling situation.

Also after pulling the fuse panel i have some questions. Mine is burnt up as the pic shows in the SB but I wonder what will keep it from doing it again? After i remove and replace the wire and the box as I am doing now.

I noticed that the wire is Melted to the Fuse panel itself and causing a number of issues to date.

Any Suggestions? I am open for any an all coaching, and ideas that any one may have.

Thanks Again, so much for your Help and research Shatx. Also looking for Turbo and or supercharger information for this auto. (328i) E 90 2007
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #141
Kaguro
Rep
Drives: 4 Series

Hey ShatX,

Wow, after a long search on the reason why my car suddenly dies without any electricity and comes back to life after an hour or so, I think I finally found the reason.

Thank you very much for your effort in getting this issue resolved.

I was hoping you could provide me with some help on how you got this DIY completed. My email is calvin.tat@hotmail.com
Any help is appreciated, once again thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #142
StevieB
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i SE

Here is my old connector which I managed to prize from the fuse box. in the process of it fusing to my fusebox, when the plastic had cooled down again it appeared to pull the inner connection which attaches to the fusebox connector slightly apart sideways which causes an intermittent connection.

12-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #143
dannygee90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f86 x6m

Garage List
19 x6m  [0.00]
Hate to bring this up
Im hving same issue car has nonpower what so ever. Its the B+ cable attached to the fuse snd even after wiggling no power

Does anyone have the DIY on this as i am in need of help to fix

Please and thank you. dangojani@gmail.com

Have a Merry Christmas everyone
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #144
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygee90 View Post
Hate to bring this up
Im hving same issue car has nonpower what so ever. Its the B+ cable attached to the fuse snd even after wiggling no power

Does anyone have the DIY on this as i am in need of help to fix

Please and thank you. dangojani@gmail.com

Have a Merry Christmas everyone

I just dropped some guidance in your stocking. Merry Christmas and good luck!

Last edited by SHATX; 12-24-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #145
Scubadiver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Thanks!

I have been a long time reader of this forum. I have a 2009 328i. I bought the car used and it has had some oddball electrical gremlins since I purchased it.

1. The car will randomly lose the clock and other information overnight.
2. The car will die if you slam on the brakes (Not sure if this is related)

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 I drove the car to church and after 2 hours came out, no start. No power. No nothing.

I got my wife to come get me and tried to jump start it, still nothing. I came home and started to read this forum. A variety of "cures" were suggested, battery, IBT, Fuses and last the cable connection to the fuse box.

I had already tried jump starting it. I checked the battery, good charge and it looked like the factory battery. No corrosion on the terminals, no disconnected cable from a crash.

I then - and happily I had some VERY LONG needle nose pliers, (The fuse box requires a deft touch) started to check all of the fuses that pertained to start/stop. No dice.

I reached behind the fuse box and jiggled the large cable. Power came on and I was able to drive it home.

I have it scheduled to go the dealer Jan 23, 2013 and I am going to take the TSB with me.

I would have never had a clue if I had not surfed this forum. Thanks!!

Last edited by Scubadiver; 01-15-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #146
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver View Post
I have been a long time reader of this forum. I have a 2009 328i. I bought the car used and it has had some oddball electrical gremlins since I purchased it.

1. The car will randomly lose the clock and other information overnight.
2. The car will die if you slam on the brakes (Not sure if this is related)

Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 I drove the car to church and after 2 hours came out, no start. No power. No nothing.

I got my wife to come get me and tried to jump start it, still nothing. I came home and started to read this forum. A variety of "cures" were suggested, battery, IBT, Fuses and last the cable connection to the fuse box.

I had already tried jump starting it. I checked the battery, good charge and it looked like the factory battery. No corrosion on the terminals, no disconnected cable from a crash.

I then - and happily I had some VERY LONG needle nose pliers, (The fuse box requires a deft touch) started to check all of the fuses that pertained to start/stop. No dice.

I reached behind the fuse box and jiggled the large cable. Power came on and I was able to drive it home.

I have it scheduled to go the dealer Jan 23, 2013 and I am going to take the TSB with me.

I would have never had a clue if I had not surfed this forum. Thanks!!http://www.e90post.com/forums/images...es/thumbup.gif
Maybe this large cable that you jiggled is somehow loose on where it's supposed to be connected? Did you try following it and seeing where it plugs and and ensuring it is securely fastened? Other than that, i've never heard of such problems. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #147
Scubadiver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

There is a TSB for this E90 Wont Start - SI B61 08 11

Actually there is a TSB on this, at least for my car. (I found it on this Forum)

The cable comes from the battery and connects into the back of the fusebox.

The connector is cheap and can easily come loose. The TSB is

SI B61 08 11

From what I have been reading, it is NOT an uncommon problem.

Here is the Text of same:

SI B61 08 11 General Electrical Systems July 2011 Technical Service
SUBJECT Complete Power Failure of the Vehicle's Electrical System
MODEL E82, E88 (1 Series)
E89 (Z4)
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)
Vehicles produced from 2/28/2007 to 5/30/2011
SITUATION The vehicle electrical system fails completely and one or more of the following faults may occur:
 The vehicle fails to start.
 The central locking system fails to operate with the remote key.
 The key cannot be inserted into the key slot.
 Communication to the vehicle is not possible using ISTA (Integrated Technical Service Application).
CAUSE Over time, the positive battery cable connection at the front power distribution box loses connection.
PROCEDURE The situation described in this Service Information can also be attributed to a discharged battery. Before proceeding with this procedure, check that the battery is in operating condition by using the BMW battery tester.
1. Remove the front fuse box as per ISTA Repair Instructions REP 61 13 050, Removing and installing or replacing fuse box in passenger compartment (built after 3/2007).
2. Check for discoloration of the positive battery cable insulation where the cable connects to the fuse box. Refer to the attachment to this Service Information bulletin, which shows the affected area.
3. If discoloration is noted in the affected area, replace both the fuse box and the cable. The cable routes from the battery fuse box in the luggage compartment to the front fuse box along the main wiring harness, under the carpet on the right side of the vehicle interior. There are currently no repair instructions to replace this cable. Refer to ISTA Repair Instructions REP 51 47 315 and 51 47 440 for removing all the carpets in order to gain access to the harness. Route the new cable in the exact same way as the original cable. Refer to attachment.
REP 51 47 315 and 51 47 440 are for reference only, the full scope of these repair procedures do not apply (removing all seats and the center console as applicable) to the repair procedure outlined in this Service Information bulletin.
Note: The replacement cables listed in this Service Information have been improved to prevent this fault from occurring in the future.
Please take particular care in removing and installing the replacement B+ battery cable that is contained in the main harness to avoid damaging other wiring.
4. If no discoloration is found on the cable insulation, proceed with standard troubleshooting to identify the voltage drop in the battery cable circuit.
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
Refer to ETK
Power distribution box, front
61 12 9 269 909
B+ Repair Cable (E82, E88)
61 12 9 269 907
B+ Repair Cable (E90, E91, E92, E93)
61 12 9 269 914
B+ Repair Cable (E89)
WARRANTY INFORMATION Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty.
Defect Code:
61 12 02 79 00
Please use and claim the applicable labor operations from sections 1 (all models), 2 and 3 (model-specific) listed below.
1. All Listed Models: Labor Operations
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
61 20 005
Refer to KSD2
Checking battery with battery tester
61 13 551
Refer to KSD2
Replacing fuse box, interior
61 99 000
20 FRUs
Work time to replace the battery positive (B+) repair cable
2. Seats: Labor Operations
Right Front Seat (All as applicable to the fitted seat option)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
52 13 500
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing right front basic seat
or
52 14 500
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing right front sport seat (Manual)
or
52 15 500
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing right front sport seat (Manually Adjustable)
or
52 16 500
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing right front sport seat (Electrically Adjustable)
Rear Seat Models
E90 (Sedan - as applicable to the fitted seats)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
52 24 510
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing backrest for right rear seat
or
52 26 515
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing backrest right rear seat (Through-loading version)
E91 (Sports Wagon)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
52 26 515
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing backrest right rear seat (Through-loading version)
3. Model-Specific: Labor Operations
E82 (1 Series Coupe)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 43 500
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing right rear side trim panel
E88 (1 Series Convertible)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 43 502
Refer to KSD2
E89 (Z4)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 43 625
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing right rear side trim panel (Bottom)
E90 (3 Series - Sedan)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 43 650
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing trim panel for right door pillar
E91 (3 Series - Sports Wagon)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 43 650
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing trim panel for right door pillar
and
51 43 780
Refer to KSD2
Removing and installing or replacing luggage compartment cover, right
E92 and E93 (3 Series - Coupe and Convertible)
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 43 502
Refer to KSD2
Labor operation code 61 20 005 is a main labor operation, if you are using a main labor code for another repair; use the plus code labor operation 61 20 505 instead.
Only one main labor operation can be claimed per repair visit. All other labor operations on the same line or other lines must be claimed using plus code labor operations.
Even though labor operation code 61 99 000 ends in “000”; it has a designated FRU allowance, and as described above, it is not considered a main labor operation.
Please refer to the Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual regarding proper support, documentation and archiving required for claims, as applicable.
ATTACHMENTS view PDF attachment B610811_Attachment.
[ Copyright © 2011 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #148
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

This is one of those posts that make me very glad to have the world wide web!...

My car was built in late 2006, but I will still be keeping this post in mind if I get any of these symptoms!.....Has anyone ever heard of these wires causing more than just discoloration?...any smoke or fires?....I would say this is a major safety concern!

Thanks very much for posting shatx from TX!!

JP
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #149
Gray2007335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for the great info! Can you send me over your DIY on this? dennis.piel@technologypartners.net.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #150
RC Post
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Wanted to get clarification about the issue similar to other in this thread.. I have a print out from the dealership...

Is it clear for me to go ahead and replace the fuse box and B+ cable as SHATX DIY?

Sorry for the big pic
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #151
RC Post
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Also, can someone send me SHATX DIY??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #152
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Post View Post
Also, can someone send me SHATX DIY??
Check your Indox

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #153
hawkman52
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

SHATX,

I appreciate the post, I sent my car to BMW because I was experiencing all of these issues. The "main power cord" as they put it, part #61 12 9 269 907 B+ repair cord is burned and over heated in many areas. And the junction box needs to be replaced. I'm just going to replace the fuse box as well since you and everyone else seems to be doing it. They want to charge me $1,900.00 so i'm going to do it myself with a friend who has worked on cars before. I would greatly appreciate it if you sent me the pictures and all info for the DIY repair to my email: hawkman52@gmail.com
Thanks a lot SHATX you're a lifesaver!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #154
bodz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318i se 2008 auto

SHATX I'm stuck with this very same problem. Could you send me the DIY to fix this problem.

rokkky@email.com

Thanks
Appreciate 0