E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Thoughts?

08-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
ThreeDirtyFiveEye
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Thoughts?

I'm new to the world of tuning/modifications as I'm anxiously awaiting the end of my warranty and looking to see what this car can really do. I have been failing for months now trying to find any answers to questions I have. I've done a ton of research as of now completely a stock setup (0 issues to date) I do have oil cooler/sport package on CPO 2007 335i with about 70k miles. From what I've read I believe spark plugs and coils among other things (valves cleaned?) should be replaced but that's the least of my concerns, my main question is what if any is a reasonable order to install mods I have in mind...

JB4 G5
BMS DCI
3" DP's (brand undecided)

With these alone is FMIC (also brand undecided) needed?

Also meth injection seems to be much healthier and more powerful option but I am a complete novice and quite honestly it scares me a bit and I'm unable to find much info on maintenance required. Do you think it's the best way to go? And if I do go the meth route is FMIC and/or charge pipe necessary; or any other parts/upgrades needed?

Is it best for the car to change everything at once?

Lastly, I am in northern/central New Jersey area does anyone know of somewhere to get these items installed?

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback whether bias or not just looking to learn as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

I'm definitely not an expert. If it were me my order would be
1.tune (jb or cobb)
2. Fmic
3. Dps
4. Maybe buy some dci (I don't know if it's 100% Proven that it gives gains) maybe a kn drop In filter?
There are a toon of great brands and reasonable prices. Vrsf, most people seem to go for them because they have quality products at a very good reasonable price.

Anyways do a lot of research and have fun !
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Also look into a third party warranty like route 66 they also have great reviews here. Since you are about to be out of one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
lukeperformance
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr335bob View Post
Also look into a third party warranty like route 66 they also have great reviews here. Since you are about to be out of one.
You sound like a insurance saleman. Also, there is only one post about that company. It also only one instance where they don't check for proof of modding.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDirtyFiveEye View Post
From what I've read I believe spark plugs and coils among other things (valves cleaned?) should be replaced but that's the least of my concerns, my main question is what if any is a reasonable order to install mods I have in mind...
spark plugs must be replaced, coils should be replaced if they fail, preemptively replacing them is a good idea in general but not a must, if you get misfires with new plugs you might just replace one or two, replacing all six is a bit overkill.
Get an oil change to the good stuff if you haven’t already,

Walnut blast / carbon cleaning is a must, its will be risky to run tune on gunked up values, the power and smoothness you will gain is well worth it.

Quote:
JB4 G5
BMS DCI
With these alone is FMIC (also brand undecided) needed?.
DCI and DP’s aren’t really needed, my car runs 12.1 with stock intake and exhaust so it’s plenty fast…
I prefer the high filtration rate of the stock paper air filter over filtration from mesh filter, in my point of view the turbine blades get eroded from particulates that would otherwise be let thru with mesh filters, not proven, this is just my opinion.

DP are good to have for faster spool, less lag and lower exhaust temps, but can be costly to install and a good brand will run $500 minimum.
FMIC is the most important thing to have (other than tune obviously), will make the car more consistent.

You will need a metal Charge Pipe (CP) those suckers blow up at high boost, just a matter of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’

Start with the piggy back, once you are comfortable with the settings and making your own adjustments add CP and FMIC, maybe even forged DV (not a must if yours are in good shape). OCC (oil catch can) is good thing to have to keep values and IC clean.

Quote:
Also meth injection seems to be much healthier and more powerful option but I am a complete novice and quite honestly it scares me a bit and I'm unable to find much info on maintenance required. Do you think it's the best way to go? And if I do go the meth route is FMIC and/or charge pipe necessary; or any other parts/upgrades needed?
I would do meth as a third phase after: tune, CP, FMIC, DP
It’s not that complicated to install, if you get the BMS meth kit it’s all integrated and there is no guess work involved.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
I'm new to the world of tuning/modifications as I'm anxiously awaiting the end of my warranty and looking to see what this car can really do. I have been failing for months now trying to find any answers to questions I have. I've done a ton of research as of now completely a stock setup (0 issues to date) I do have oil cooler/sport package on CPO 2007 335i with about 70k miles. From what I've read I believe spark plugs and coils among other things (valves cleaned?) should be replaced but that's the least of my concerns, my main question is what if any is a reasonable order to install mods I have in mind...

JB4 G5
BMS DCI

With these alone is FMIC (also brand undecided) needed?

Is it best for the car to change everything at once?

Lastly, I am in northern/central New Jersey area does anyone know of somewhere to get these items installed?

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback whether bias or not just looking to learn as much as possible.
I think in order to get off to a good start you'd benefit from a good valve cleaning. That maintenance alone can net you 10-15whp depending on how badly your valves are gunked. I'd also replace the plugs but I'd leave the coils alone unless you encounter a mis-fire issue.

Most of our customers start with a tune, DCI and either a downpipe or intercooler. An upgraded chargepipe is also highly recommended due to the stock unit failing above OEM boost levels.

We offer a DCI (same filters as BMS), 3" cast downpipes and both 5" stepped and 7" intercooler options along with a chargepipe that can accommodate the OEM DV's, Tial BOV or HKS BOV. We also offer combined purchase discounts as well as return customer discounts for those who have purchased from us in the past.

We have plenty of independent reviews on our website if you're interested:

http://www.vr-speed.com/catalogsearc.../?cat=0&q=vrsf
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
If you want some power, consider E85 in addition to the mentioned mods
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Seymour Boost
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Do your maintenance, followed by a tune and chargepipe to be safe (can do DCI/filter at the same time). After that I would say FMIC and then DP's, or at the same time.

I like putting my mods on one at a time, so if there are any issues it is easier to diagnose. Feeling the difference each mod is making is kinda cool as well.
Appreciate 0