E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What's the best product to mount my iPod video?

10-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
16520Man
On BMW #7 and counting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Lotus Elise

Garage List
2005 Elise  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
What's the best product to mount my iPod video?

I want to bring my new iPod video "out of the closet" and mount it on my console. This way I'll be able to handily control the 'pod and my passenger can see the video. On my last car, I used a console mount from ProClipUSA for my old 'pod. ProClip still has no product for the E90; are there any professional alternatives out there? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You can go to radio shack and get a cell phone mount that clips onto one of your A/C vents. I used it with my ipod on my e46 and it worked flawlessly.
      10-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I started a thread asking for mounting suggestion a week or so ago and never got a response. For my XM MyFi, I use a kuda mount (there is a link in the other thread). It is vehicle specific and does not require any tools for mounting.

I had a panavise vehicle specific car mount in my e46 and I doubt something like that would work very well in the E90. The cup holders are built into the dash and would get in the way.

One thing I did notice is that the rubbery area in the console can be removed and the aux cord can be run down the inside of the console to the area next to the seat. I can then run the cord under the edging of the console to the back of the kuda mount and it is almost invisible.

I still have to run one wire out of the top of the console to a three lighter plug attachment. I can plug my phone and my MyFi into it. It is a fairly seamless setup, but it does have the one wire for the lighter socket that is in view toward the back of the console. I am looking for a lighter plug extender with detachable plugs so I can run it out at the bottom of the console, too, but I have had no luck finding such a thing. I believe it is possible to solder them at home, but I am going to live with the one wire showing instead!

I would love to hear other suggestions, but I am guessing people are living with the iPod in the console and an air clicker. I am still trying to figure out how to mount a display for a converted Phatbox, but that is on the back-burner right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Here is a shot with two mounting solutions. The MyFi is on the kuda mount I mentioned above. The Treo is on a Gomadic mount.

Here is a closer look at the kuda (it matches the leather and has a tab that slides into the gap between the radio and dash).

The Gomadic is kind of cumbersome and I had to rig it to slide into the space. I am going to pull it out of the car and just use it for trips. However, they make mounts for iPods as well as phones. They have several mounting solutions, as well.

You can see larger shots here
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
nawtyxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E90

your set up is sweet looking, but alas you dont have idrive to contend with