E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Garmin customer service...meh!

12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
ozarkgolfer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430ixC

Garmin customer service...meh!

I have a Garmin 1450 LMT from 2011 and the LMT stands for Lifetime Maps and Traffic update. Although my wife and I have Nav in both our respective cars, we like having the Garmin around when we travel.

Unfortunately, the Garmin interface with either Windows or Mac computers is pretty lame. I have had problems connecting before but after some twiddling and re-booting, I can usually make things work.

Two weeks ago, the Garmin App advised that I should install an update. No real trouble connecting and the update was advertised to be two hours.

Four hours later, the 'needle' on the dial showed there had been some activity but still not finished. Another four hours go by and still stuck. I called Garmin and they told me I had a problem (really), and I was advised to disconnect and retry the installation. As I tried to disconnect, I got a warning message and was told to ignore it.

Long story short, the Garmin unit will now only get me to a Garmin splash screen and nowhere else. After multiple conversations with CSR and their supervisors, my options are:

1. Send the the unit and a check for $110 to have an out of warranty repair (this unit only cost $135 when I bought it)
2. Receive a 50% credit, maximum $100, towards a new unit on their online store. (Most of their online stuff I can buy at more than $100 cheaper from online retailers.)

Suffice it to say, Garmin is not getting a penny more of my money and I am posting this on the various online BB's I frequent. I'll just use Google Maps on my iPhone (traveling to Salt Lake City this week for my son's wedding) and everywhere else in the future.
      12-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
Well its looking great, I like it because I am interested in this kind of stuff, thanks for sharing this... please share more stuff like that if you have.
Obvious future spammer is obvious.

On a topic-related note:

I've found Google Maps so far to be far superior to any aftermarket nav system I've used (Garmen and Tom Tom included). May not be as well integrated on the apple platform, but on my MotoX it's nearly flawless, and I can do it all 100% hands free.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
Obvious future spammer is obvious.

On a topic-related note:

I've found Google Maps so far to be far superior to any aftermarket nav system I've used (Garmen and Tom Tom included). May not be as well integrated on the apple platform, but on my MotoX it's nearly flawless, and I can do it all 100% hands free.
I agree with this ten fold. Whenever I travel I am using either google maps or mapquest. My only thing with mapquest is it has taken me on different routes to and from Michigan that had me confused at times, when google seems to be more consistent.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I agree with this ten fold. Whenever I travel I am using either google maps or mapquest. My only thing with mapquest is it has taken me on different routes to and from Michigan that had me confused at times, when google seems to be more consistent.
I read a few years back that MapQuest was in partnership with, or owned partially by some fast food company, and that they'd sometimes alter routes that would take you by one of their locations if it was somewhat close. Have nothing to back that up and honestly haven't looked for it online again, so take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
I read a few years back that MapQuest was in partnership with, or owned partially by some fast food company, and that they'd sometimes alter routes that would take you by one of their locations if it was somewhat close. Have nothing to back that up and honestly haven't looked for it online again, so take it with a grain of salt.
Sheesh. Ever since the new update, I don't really like the new lay out though. It took me through some small town and through a gap road that was a hell of a lot of fun to have some spirited driving. Other times it will keep me on I85. Not sure if its "faster" but it did scare me taking me on a route I hadn't been on before.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkgolfer View Post
I have a Garmin 1450 LMT from 2011 and the LMT stands for Lifetime Maps and Traffic update. Although my wife and I have Nav in both our respective cars, we like having the Garmin around when we travel.

Unfortunately, the Garmin interface with either Windows or Mac computers is pretty lame. I have had problems connecting before but after some twiddling and re-booting, I can usually make things work.

Two weeks ago, the Garmin App advised that I should install an update. No real trouble connecting and the update was advertised to be two hours.

Four hours later, the 'needle' on the dial showed there had been some activity but still not finished. Another four hours go by and still stuck. I called Garmin and they told me I had a problem (really), and I was advised to disconnect and retry the installation. As I tried to disconnect, I got a warning message and was told to ignore it.

Long story short, the Garmin unit will now only get me to a Garmin splash screen and nowhere else. After multiple conversations with CSR and their supervisors, my options are:

1. Send the the unit and a check for $110 to have an out of warranty repair (this unit only cost $135 when I bought it)
2. Receive a 50% credit, maximum $100, towards a new unit on their online store. (Most of their online stuff I can buy at more than $100 cheaper from online retailers.)

Suffice it to say, Garmin is not getting a penny more of my money and I am posting this on the various online BB's I frequent. I'll just use Google Maps on my iPhone (traveling to Salt Lake City this week for my son's wedding) and everywhere else in the future.
I have two 1450LMTs and I did the updates last week. One of them needed an SD card inserted to take on the new maps which still meant only the NE maps due to size. The other one took the NE map with no SD card it is about one year newer.

So it worked for me.

I was about to snag a new 25xx series LMT for $99, but with the updates both 1450s are much faster and work better than ever.

But it sounds like you have almost no viable options.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

If you called, call again or try email support. Don't give up because you had one bad interaction. A bricked GPS because of an update shouldn't be a hard and fast out of warranty issue.

I've had Garmin products forever including GPS', running watches, etc. and my one and only interaction with support was awesome. I had, at the time a 4 year old GPS that wouldn't hold a charge more than a couple minutes off the adapter. I emailed support just to see what they'd say (this was before they were $100-$150 to replace). They said send it in and fixed it at no charge. Not sure if it was repaired or a refurb but I got another couple years out of it. It was years out of warranty.

I have one of the newer 5" models now and I while really only use it on trips, it's amazingly good. Using your phone is convenient but a joke by comparison. It's fast, accurate,intuitive and doesn't rely on a data signal. Try using your phone in mountains in Colorado for instance. The screen is amazing too. It's 10x better than any GPS I've seen on a phone or in a car.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0