E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Official New England Chat Forum (#2)

08-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #1387
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston335xi View Post
It's worth it. Terry and his team give customer support like no other.
Cool. Here's to hoping I don't destroy my ECU box installing the JB4 and rip up my firewall routing the USB cable.
      08-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #1388
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:
It's worth it. Terry and his team give customer support like no other.
Cool. Here's to hoping I don't destroy my ECU box installing the JB4 and rip up my firewall routing the USB cable.
Super easy. It pushes right through to the glovebox. If you get in a bind, PM me. I can do it in my sleep by now
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #1389
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus

Oh look another single on the market. Once the price gets reasonable on these things i'm going to pick one up I think...or a bike.
Saw this the other day day FB. The amount of high hp options is getting out of hand for this platform. I love it!

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #1390
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Super easy. It pushes right through to the glovebox. If you get in a bind, PM me. I can do it in my sleep by now
Great, thanks!

I'm at RsPhi's shop getting my walnut blasting done right now. Seems like a nice guy and his 1 Series looks great. My JB4 is out for delivery back at home and I've got someone waiting to sign for it. Plan is to install it as soon as I get home.

Clean engine and more boost!
      08-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #1391
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Great, thanks!

I'm at RsPhi's shop getting my walnut blasting done right now. Seems like a nice guy and his 1 Series looks great. My JB4 is out for delivery back at home and I've got someone waiting to sign for it. Plan is to install it as soon as I get home.

Clean engine and more boost!
Time for a misfire!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #1392
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Time for a misfire!
Are they to be expected? What should I do if they happen?

Also, Phi just had me come into the shop to take a look at my intake valves. Dear god, they were worse than any picture I've ever seen. My iPhone wasn't playing nice, but I think I might have had some sort of record. These things are nasty. You know those public grills at camp sites that no one ever bothers cleaning with the wire brush? Yeah, like that.
      08-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #1393
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Installed today. Took me probably three hours or so. Getting access to the ECU box isn't that hard, but once you're in the rat's nest it become a pain. The documentation lacks detail and can be confusing at times as well, and I didn't find out about the USB cable install until afterward, so I had to redo some stuff.

As for results, on map one the car definitely feels quicker. I don't know how much quicker, but it's noticeable. I'll have to visit a dyno sometime. I did get a misfire code before I drove the car (only having revved it up to 3,000 a couple times post install to make sure all was well) and unfortunately I don't know if that came before or after the JB4. I had my intake valves carbon blasted today, so it's entirely possible a little leftover loose piece got in there and caused the misfire I suppose.

On the topic of codes, I noticed in the latest firmware thread that there's nothing regarding the auto code clearing feature in the steering wheel options. Is that no longer supported?
      08-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #1394
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Installed today. Took me probably three hours or so. Getting access to the ECU box isn't that hard, but once you're in the rat's nest it become a pain. The documentation lacks detail and can be confusing at times as well, and I didn't find out about the USB cable install until afterward, so I had to redo some stuff.

As for results, on map one the car definitely feels quicker. I don't know how much quicker, but it's noticeable. I'll have to visit a dyno sometime. I did get a misfire code before I drove the car (only having revved it up to 3,000 a couple times post install to make sure all was well) and unfortunately I don't know if that came before or after the JB4. I had my intake valves carbon blasted today, so it's entirely possible a little leftover loose piece got in there and caused the misfire I suppose.

On the topic of codes, I noticed in the latest firmware thread that there's nothing regarding the auto code clearing feature in the steering wheel options. Is that no longer supported?
I would ask on N54tech, it's terry's forum, for a JB related questions.

It's strange to get a misfire just reving the car as there is no load. I would clear the codes and then drive the car after it is warmed up(oil above 180). I think Map5 is auto learn so start with that. It also isn't worth reving past 6400 rpm but you probably know that.

I said misfire because usually when you add a tune the weak coil(s) or plug(s) will show up. If you really do have a misfire i'd do plugs if you haven't in 20k miles to start with. I would also buy a coil to have on hand because they go often enough it's worth it.

I noticed a large difference even with the OTS maps fwiw. Again you may want to read up on and consider the back end flash.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #1395
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's strange to get a misfire just reving the car as there is no load. I would clear the codes and then drive the car after it is warmed up(oil above 180). I think Map5 is auto learn so start with that. It also isn't worth reving past 6400 rpm but you probably know that.

I said misfire because usually when you add a tune the weak coil(s) or plug(s) will show up. If you really do have a misfire i'd do plugs if you haven't in 20k miles to start with. I would also buy a coil to have on hand because they go often enough it's worth it.

I noticed a large difference even with the OTS maps fwiw. Again you may want to read up on and consider the back end flash.
Yeah, I really think the misfire happened on the ride home after the walnut blast from a bit of loose carbon or something. I cleared the code and did a few brief WOT runs up to the top end of third and the car is pulling hard. No codes were thrown from any of that. I'm just gonna keep checking and see if the misfire on cylinder five comes back or not. Running map one for the time being until I read more on how best to help map 5 autolearn.

My stumbling idle and some jerkiness came back though, os sadly the carbon buildup cleaning didn't resolve those. So I'm thinking injectors or coils based on what I've read. Going to run some Techron through and hope that cleans the injectors up a bit, I've heard of people reporting good results for this type of thing when using Techron in the N54.

Oh, and I totally plan on the back end flash. However, I have a 2007, which I believe is K-Line communication for the flash, meaning it takes longer and you need a battery charger connected. Maybe you can get away with jumpers and another car idling, I'm not sure.

If anyone has the BT cable and a charger and is willing to flash my vehicle, I'd be interested in meeting up sometime. I can code your vehicle for free in return.
      08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #1396
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
is BB down for anyone else or did I finally piss off joe?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #1397
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is BB down for anyone else or did I finally piss off joe?
Looks like it's up for me. Also, if you ever want to check if a site is down for everyone or if it's just you, this site is pretty great: http://isup.me/
      08-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #1398
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Looks like it's up for me. Also, if you ever want to check if a site is down for everyone or if it's just you, this site is pretty great: http://isup.me/
Hmm I get a 403. Wonder what I did. Oh well the S65 nut hugging did get old.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #1399
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I really think the misfire happened on the ride home after the walnut blast from a bit of loose carbon or something. I cleared the code and did a few brief WOT runs up to the top end of third and the car is pulling hard. No codes were thrown from any of that. I'm just gonna keep checking and see if the misfire on cylinder five comes back or not. Running map one for the time being until I read more on how best to help map 5 autolearn.

My stumbling idle and some jerkiness came back though, os sadly the carbon buildup cleaning didn't resolve those. So I'm thinking injectors or coils based on what I've read. Going to run some Techron through and hope that cleans the injectors up a bit, I've heard of people reporting good results for this type of thing when using Techron in the N54.

Oh, and I totally plan on the back end flash. However, I have a 2007, which I believe is K-Line communication for the flash, meaning it takes longer and you need a battery charger connected. Maybe you can get away with jumpers and another car idling, I'm not sure.

If anyone has the BT cable and a charger and is willing to flash my vehicle, I'd be interested in meeting up sometime. I can code your vehicle for free in return.
Run map 5. Do a few wot pulls and it will learn itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #1400
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do I need to do the WOT pulls from a standstill or can I do them from a roll? Do I need to be sure to shift up at 6,000 RPM, or can I just let the AT lazily shift up on its own at like 6,800 RPM?

Oh, and how fast do I need to go/what gear do I need to WOT up to? I see people talking about running to the top of the third or fourth gear, and I have no idea how I'd manage to do that around here without getting arrested...
      08-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #1401
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do I need to do the WOT pulls from a standstill or can I do them from a roll? Do I need to be sure to shift up at 6,000 RPM, or can I just let the AT lazily shift up on its own at like 6,800 RPM?

Oh, and how fast do I need to go/what gear do I need to WOT up to? I see people talking about running to the top of the third or fourth gear, and I have no idea how I'd manage to do that around here without getting arrested...
I normally do a couple third or fourth gear pulls from about 3k, you don't have to go all the way to redline for it to learn. After a couple of pulls it is all set and just drive it normally. Every time you start the car it will auto learn for temp octane and any new mods. Once you do the initial pulls however it only changes things slightly afterwards so you don't have to do pulls every time you start the car. Also, if you have te usb ran, do some logs and then send them into BMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #1402
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I normally do a couple third or fourth gear pulls from about 3k, you don't have to go all the way to redline for it to learn. After a couple of pulls it is all set and just drive it normally. Every time you start the car it will auto learn for temp octane and any new mods. Once you do the initial pulls however it only changes things slightly afterwards so you don't have to do pulls every time you start the car. Also, if you have te usb ran, do some logs and then send them into BMS.
Cool cool. I did wind up running the USB cable and it was super easy once I figured out to pull the metal ECU unit in the box up and feed the cable in. They really need to update the guide to show you that!
      08-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #1403
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool cool. I did wind up running the USB cable and it was super easy once I figured out to pull the metal ECU unit in the box up and feed the cable in. They really need to update the guide to show you that!
How do you like the car with the tune? Do a log and post a datazap?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1404
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the car with the tune? Do a log and post a datazap?
It definitely feels quicker. Maybe not as mind blowing as I was expecting, though. I am still on map one, however.

When at low speeds/RPMs, it honestly feels like there's a bit more lag. This strikes me as odd, as Terry said it wouldn't even be worth updating my DME since the ISO boards control the wastegates directly now.

For example, I was rolling at around five or ten MPH in first a few times and put my foot down. It felt kinda unresponsive as the revs started to climb, picked up around 5,000rpm or so, and then I got the "pinned to your seat" feeling toward the top half of second from probably 40 to 60mph. I do notice that at the top of first and second I chirp my tires in DTC/trigger TCS if it's enabled, which didn't happen before the tune.

I did a couple pulls up to 115mph or so (on a closed circuit, of course, right....) and logged one or two of them. I don't know enough to read the logs reliably (and sadly didn't save it), but I just looked at the boost target. I was generally ±0.2 PSI of target, with the exception of one instance in the low end where the target was 12ish psi and I was at 9.6psi.

At higher speeds the car seems to pull faster, but I'm not sure how much. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm bad at having a feel for these things, or if it's the fact that I rarely go WOT and have little to compare to, etc. On the topic of WOT - does the JB4 still have an impact when you're not WOT, or does it only push more boost when your foot is all the way down? When I do get the need for speed, I usually only go 75% throttle instead of punching it, and I haven't noticed a big difference in those scenarios.

I really want to dyno the car to give myself some peace of mind and know where things are at, but from what I can tell, dyno runs are expensive and the nearest one is over an hour away.

When I get back home next week, I'll have to do a few pulls and post the logs here and on N54tech.
      08-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #1405
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Just grabbed the BMWhat app for a spare Galaxy S4 I had (needed Android for USB connectivity, because pre 03/2007 build). Works great. Coded brighter angel eyes, auto windows with door open, and welcome fog lights. Cleared some codes, etc.

Tested on Island Road's 2008, which required the Bluetooth adapter, and threw in the digital speedo and a few other options.

Expensive app, but worth it. Will be testing the parameters and logging soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #1406
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Just grabbed the BMWhat app for a spare Galaxy S4 I had (needed Android for USB connectivity, because pre 03/2007 build). Works great. Coded brighter angel eyes, auto windows with door open, and welcome fog lights. Cleared some codes, etc.

Tested on Island Road's 2008, which required the Bluetooth adapter, and threw in the digital speedo and a few other options.

Expensive app, but worth it. Will be testing the parameters and logging soon.
Can't wait to check it out. Screen shots online makes it look awesome.

Just charge $10 per car at the next meet. It will pay for itself and the beer

Can it code everything or are their limits? Like could you code out adaptive headlights for instance? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #1407
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:

Can it code everything or are their limits? Like could you code out adaptive headlights for instance? Just curious.
I'm game. I will try to get the BMWhat OBD2 adapter for later models.

Here is the coding list, not sure if it's the most up to date, but I don't mind testing it.
http://www.ivini-apps.com/coding.html
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #1408
Hadley
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Quote:

I'm game. I will try to get the BMWhat OBD2 adapter for later models.

Here is the coding list, not sure if it's the most up to date, but I don't mind testing it.
http://www.ivini-apps.com/coding.html
Looks like a meet is on the horizon!
Appreciate 0