E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stacking a JB+ on top of an ECU-flash / Meth opportunities / Part 2

12-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Stacking a JB+ on top of an ECU-flash / Meth opportunities / Part 2

Hi,

Nothing confidential, I will install an Evolve Stage III flash on my car in Q1/2010 due to several reasons.

However, I currently use the Daehler flash ( Noelle/Evotech ECU flash evolution ) on my car with a JB+ ( flash version ) stacked on it.

While my current ECU flash delivers 14.5 psi maximum ( 402 ps / 560NM torque at the crank ), I dialed in the JB+ to increase boost around 1.2 to 1.4 psi. It's winter here, I currently see 14.8 - 15.0 psi and I expect to see 16.2 -16.4 psi in summer. This resulted in a great power increase and quite good datalogging results. The engine runs strong and healty. The JB+ alters the TMap sensor only, so all of the power increase will still be managed by the flash. However, those settings have to be verified in hot ambient temperature environments. Driving characteristics of the car remained unchanged except more overall available power.

Advantages:
- Increase power output of your ECU flash with the JB+.
- Use the JB+ as your "Meth map" in case you have an ECU flash and like a failsafe mode ( the JB+ can be prepared for Meth usage with failsafe fallback ).

Disadvantages:
- Requires picky dial-in of the JB+ ( flash version ) and data logging ( I use the BT tool/cable ) . Magic number not to exceed is 12 psi at 6000 rpm in the intake to avoid turbo stress with OEM turbos.
- You need to have the minimum required bolt-ons installed and appropriate octane gas or Meth according to your performance goal.

I'm using 100 octane RON ( 95 AKI ) gas.

The MSD80 / MSD81 ECUs are very capable .

Something missing ?

Thanks to Evolve, Terry Burger and enrita who provided very useful information for my little project.

Cheers,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

It should be neat, and that is a perfect application of the JB+! It has become very popular with flash owners who want to fine tune boost a bit.

Mike
Appreciate 0